You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CPU Fan Not Spinning
04-20-2011, 05:57 PM,
CPU Fan Not Spinning
Just finished putting together my Tier4ish build - my first build ever. Thanks to everyone on this site for all the help and information - Matthieu especially.

The only problem that I see so far is that my CPU fan isn't spinning. It the fan that came from Intel along with the 2500k. I've reseated the 4-pin power cable from the PSU to the motherboard, and the fan cable from the fan to the motherboard, and it's still not working. When I check in BIOS, it said my CPU temp was 93C, which is much too hot. Why isn't my fan working? Should I get another, after-market cooler from Newegg? Is the problem likely with the fan, the motherboard, or something else?

Thanks in advance for your help.

- yosping -
04-20-2011, 06:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-20-2011, 06:02 PM by Andrew J.)
RE: CPU Fan Not Spinning
Are you sure you plugged the fan into the CPU_FAN header?
Your friendly forum administrator.
04-20-2011, 06:02 PM,
(04-20-2011, 06:00 PM)Andrew J Wrote: Are you sure you plugged it into the CPU_FAN header?

Yes - it's in the spot on the motherboard dedicated to the CPU fan. The other system fans are labeled differently, have different connectors, and are too far away from the CPU fan to plug it into the wrong spot. So I think I got it plugged into the right place.

Thanks,

yosping
04-20-2011, 06:04 PM,
Strange, it's hard to know whether it's a fan problem or motherboard problem unless you can test it on another motherboard.
Your friendly forum administrator.
04-20-2011, 08:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-21-2011, 07:06 PM by Yosping.)
(04-20-2011, 06:04 PM)Andrew J Wrote: Strange, it's hard to know whether it's a fan problem or motherboard problem unless you can test it on another motherboard.

Problem solved.

The wire connecting the fan to the motherboard was interfering with the movement of the fan. (I had noticed that the fan seemed to have a hitch in it's motion about every 60 degrees, and I did check to see if there was anything touching the fan blades, but I didn't check carefully enough.) This is the Intel fan that comes with the i2500k. I found a thread here on an Intel forum that indicated the same problem. So, I loosened the cable around the fan, tucked it out of the way, and now the fan is merrily spinning away as Windows installs.

Andrew, thanks for taking the time to help. I hope that my newbishness is helpful to others.

- yosping -