You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buzzing sound from speakers
04-20-2011, 01:56 PM,
buzzing sound from speakers
So almost everything is great with new build and have camera from family so pics soon- however- occasionally I have a mild "electronic hum and buzz" coming through my speakers. I have a single speaker wire connected to the back of the mobo and a mic wire attached to the front plug-ins. It is not consistent or constant and I am wondering if it might be picking up interference (magnetic field or otherwise) maybe from the power supply- really just guessing. Any thoughts or cures? thanks-
04-20-2011, 02:24 PM,
RE: buzzing sound from speakers
(04-20-2011, 01:56 PM)Trebor Wrote: So almost everything is great with new build and have camera from family so pics soon- however- occasionally I have a mild "electronic hum and buzz" coming through my speakers. I have a single speaker wire connected to the back of the mobo and a mic wire attached to the front plug-ins. It is not consistent or constant and I am wondering if it might be picking up interference (magnetic field or otherwise) maybe from the power supply- really just guessing. Any thoughts or cures? thanks-

It's most likely interference and it might get better with a better cord or routing around another way. On my old computer case the front ports always had a horrible buzzing sound because the way it was built the wire connected to the mobo got a ton of bad interference.

I would try a different cord or running the cord a different way to see if that helps. I would also try some regular headphones and see if you still get the buzzing, if you do it could be something else, but if it stops or it improves by moving the wires then it is probably interference.
04-20-2011, 10:49 PM,
is there some way of insulating it other than replacing the speakers- the cord is hardwired into one end? thanks
04-21-2011, 05:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-21-2011, 05:23 AM by Andrew J.)
Some people say putting a washer between the cord and front port helps get rid of interference.
Your friendly forum administrator.
04-28-2011, 01:34 PM,
Do the speakers have a 3 prong plug? If so, try powering them with 3 - 2 prong adapter. Might be a ground loop.
04-28-2011, 03:50 PM,
you know, after testing out my speakers on my new computer they are doing the same thing, but they never did it with my old pc. Odd.

I use shielded RCA cables too so they shouldn't be catching any interference. I might have the tower too close to the speakers though and I have a mess of other power cables and otherwise running around too so I'm sure that has something to do with it too.