You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose?
05-06-2011, 07:09 PM,
RE: New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose?
Hi again everyone. Here's the update:

I can no longer cause the PC to boot using any combination of methods.

Today I received a replacement PSU. I still have the old one. So I rigged up the PSU, but it didn't fix anything. Everything seems to come online, but no signal on monitor, and the motherboard continues to display the "00" code right from the start.

I decided to try assembling the build outside of the case by setting the motherboard on the foam pad that came in the box. I also checked the way I installed the standoffs in the case, in case the board had somehow been getting shorted. I confirmed that I had installed all of them, and had installed the securely.

I began testing the build outside of the case. All I connected was the 24-pin power and the 8-pin power, and the 6-pin power to the video card if I was connecting it.

Motherboard + 2 sticks of RAM (all combinations) + CPU + GPU = Nothing, code 00.
Motherboard + 1 stick of RAM (all combinations) + CPU + GPU = Nothing, code 00.
Motherboard + 2/1 stick of RAM (all combinations) + CPU = Nothing, code 00.
Motherboard + CPU = Nothing, code 00.

I tried the Clear CMOS button, as I've done before, but nothing. I tried to manually clear the CMOS using the pins and a jumper cap, but nothing.

The only observation I've found potentially worth noting from experimenting with the power supplies is this: The Antec 450W PSU has a 4+4 pin ATX power connector. The motherboard has an 8-pin slot. Originally, I had only been plugging in half of the 4-pin connector because the ports/pins on the other half of the 4-pin didn't seem to match up. The motherboard manual said that it was fine to only use 4 pins instead a full 8 pins. Several days ago I did some reading and realized that even though the other half of the 4+4 pin connector doesn't match up, it still fits and will work. So throughout my experimenting, I've now been using the full 4+4 pin connector, but it hasn't changed anything.

So what am I now looking at for possible solutions to this problem? Is it possible that the motherboard is "bad?" I will add that I have applied an obsessive amount of attention to proper anti-static precautions and have used an anti-static wrist strap whenever working on the PC. What's next for me?
05-06-2011, 11:36 PM,
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that the PSU RMA didn't fix this issue.

At this point, consider that your RAM and your PSU shouldn't be an issue anymore, yes, I would RMA the motherboard.

As for 4 or 4+4 pins, 4 pins is enough for normal operation, 4+4 is useful for stability under overclocking.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
05-12-2011, 08:18 PM,
Thanks for the input. I should be RMA-ing the board tomorrow. I have a question or two. Why might this have happened? How could the board have gotten ruined? It would seem that I did everything right... I was very careful when handling the components and putting the PC together. I installed all the standoffs securely and properly. I didn't screw the motherboard in too tight. I used a surge protector- it may have been a little old, but the "protected when lit" light always stayed on. I have replaced this with a new UPS since these freezing problems started.

Do some boards just come out of the warehouse sort of defective, and die in 2 weeks? I'm so confused because things operated so smoothly and perfectly for the first 2 weeks... Is it possible the board was getting "shorted" somehow? Could some sort of power fluctuation have come through and damaged the components? Should I keep the new PSU I got in case the original one was unstable and messed up the board?

In short, how can I make sure nothing bad happens to the NEW board? Do you think it was just faulty, or could something have happened to it while I was using it? And if so, could what happened have potentially been due to my incompetence, or overlooking something?
05-13-2011, 06:16 PM,
Painful to see you having so much trouble. I hope you find a solution and will continue to report. Good luck!
05-14-2011, 04:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-14-2011, 04:17 PM by MathieuB.)
Most of the time, components that fail early are due to manufacturing defects or damage sustained during shipping, so most likely, it wasn't due to something you've done wrong. PC components are extremely complex and fragile, so failures just happen.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518