You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose?
04-24-2011, 10:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-25-2011, 01:20 AM by Radiankh.)
RE: New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose?
Ok here's my update.

I tested the new "temporary" Kingston RAM with MemTest86+ last night. I awoke to find it frozen. There were no errors, and it had run for 2:14:37 and completed almost 3 full passes. The "+" was blinking again and there was no giant red rectangle on the screen like the other time. But the system still would not respond to my keyboard input.

I rebooted the computer. I had a session of internet browsing and gaming today, and got 2 freezes. Both occurred during simple browsing, not anywhere near load for the CPU or GPU. First the system stopped responding to mouse clicks for a few seconds, but the cursor was still active. Then after a few more seconds the cursor would freeze, and I would have to reboot the machine.

Later I went inside the chassis and re-secured all of the power cables and motherboard connections. One thing I changed was my front panel wiring- the front panel's HDD led was not wired properly, nor was its reset button. I fixed that so they now both function.

Then I played with the video card. The first thing I noticed was that there is a small tab on the outer edge of the PCIE slot. It is like the tabs that secure RAM into place, but it does not "snap." It just slides in and out, presumable to secure the card. I noticed mine was pushed out. It doesn't seem to make a big difference as far as play in the card goes, but I made sure to push it in this time.

Second, there are two slots for graphics cards on this board, PCIE2 and PCIE4. I have had my graphics card installed in PCIE4, because if I put it in PCIE2, the card blocks the connection on the motherboard for my chassis's front panel audio cable. I consulted the motherboard's manual and did a little reading. The manual advises that if you are only using one graphics card, you install it in PCIE2. Thus, I moved the graphics card from PCIE4 into the PCIE2 slot. I just left my front panel audio cable unplugged, because I do not plug anything in there anyway. And as I said above, I made sure to push in the small tab at the edge of the port.

That's my update, hopefully that will change something. If anyone knows about the one video card, PCIE2 vs. PCIE4 thing I mentioned, and you think that's a relevant factor in the system's functioning, please let me know. Thanks.

[EDIT]
Well, the unthinkable just happened. Yes, another freeze, after a couple hours with no problems. I opened up the case, and all the fans were spinning, including the fan on the graphics card. I played with "tightening up" the graphics card and its connection a little bit, but there didn't seem to be anything wrong with it. Plugged in the computer again, yet it had fixed nothing. No signal on the monitor, all fans spinning, and the same 00 code as before.

Played with things again. Plugged the PSU back in. This time, -nothing at all-. No activity, nothing. I got really scared. I went to the PSU/power cord connection I have said feels extremely flimsy. It felt completely secure, I mean really secure. But I unplugged it, and really jammed it in there this time. Voila. PC boots up, and I have a signal on the monitor.

I can't really tell what the problem is, if it has something to do with the graphics card, or if it's this PSU that feels really sensitive and weak. But I feel like this is all the more data I'm going to get about the problem, and would like to find out which part I'll have to replace before these 30 day refund periods expire. Maybe it's just voltage drops in the building, like my friend suggested, and I should invest in a UPS. Though I don't know why I would end up with no monitor signal after the freeze if that were the issue.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose? - by Radiankh - 04-24-2011, 10:02 PM