You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose?
04-23-2011, 02:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-23-2011, 03:59 PM by Radiankh.)
RE: New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose?
Oh God why.... My RMA is approved and I'll be sending my RAM out Monday morning. But I just picked up some "temporary" RAM to tide me over, which I made sure is compatible with the motherboard.

I put it in the computer. Hook everything up. THE SAME THING!! No signal on the monitor!! This motherboard doesn't have beep codes, it has something called Dr. Debug, which is an LED on the motherboard that displays codes. I can see that the code is "00," which reads in the manual as "Passes control to OS Loader (typically INT19H). This is the final code in the manual which I assume means it's at the end of the POST process. So I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing that this means the computer is booting up properly? Does this mean it's a video card issue? Do I need to go inside the chassis and check for loose power cables? Is the video card bad? What do I do, I'm so distressed about this now!

[EDIT]
Ok I just went inside the computer, made sure the video card was screwed in very securely, disconnected its 6-pin power cable and reseated it. I get a signal on the monitor now, and the computer seems to have booted up normally and I am using it as I write this. I found my timings for my temporary RAM, and its recommended voltage, and set them properly in the BIOS. So things should be ok, I think?

Only noticeable thing is that my desk surface is a hair off, or my chassis is a hair warped because I need to put a small folded up piece of paper under one of the rubber stoppers at the bottom of the chassis to keep it balanced. After I got the computer to boot windows, I tried to stick the paper under one of the rubber stoppers, and the computer just turned off. It's back on now, but I'm guessing maybe I need to go in again and make sure all of my cables are really snug? I mentioned earlier that the connection between the power cord and the PSU seems extremely flimsy. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this with that Antec 450W PSU. But I'm a little concerned that small amounts of vibration may cause the computer to shut down, so I guess I will be making sure everything is snug.. Just wish that power cord/PSU connection were more solid.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose? - by Radiankh - 04-23-2011, 02:56 PM