You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose?
04-21-2011, 08:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2011, 01:13 AM by Radiankh.)
RE: New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose?
I have a couple final concerns:

1) When I first booted the computer right after I assembled it, during startup there was some message about BIOS or CMOS settings being wrong or bad or something.. I never reset it or went into the bios and set everything to default. I don't know much about BIOS/CMOS settings so decided not to fiddle with it.

I was just doing some reading about RAM and how it goes bad. I did some reading about "DRAM voltage." I read the back of my G. Skill box (that I am going to send the RAM back in now that the RMA is approved), and it said CL 9-9-9-24 1.5V. I checked the BIOS out of curiosity, and the 9-9-9-24 timing were set properly. However, the DRAM voltage said 1.65 [AUTO], whereas the G. Skill box says 1.5V.

What is the significance of this? Was my RAM's voltage set too high to begin with? Could this have damaged the RAM? Would it operate correctly if I set it down to 1.5V, or is the RAM already messed up?

2) I am currently using my laptop because this evening I had another crash. I ran into the situation I've described where most of the computer seems to power on, but it's not booting up. Nothing I did could cause the computer to boot. I even tried using one stick of RAM at a time, in case one stick was the "problem" stick and preventing me from booting. Nothing worked.

Given that it has been 2 weeks since I received the parts, and I am RMA-ing the RAM, I would like to know if there's a chance this situation could be due to other faulty parts or something. Is it the bad RAM that would be causing my computer not to boot? I just want to be sure I don't miss my mark for the RMA period if anything else is wrong. I will be mailing the RAM back to NewEgg tomorrow.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose? - by Radiankh - 04-21-2011, 08:58 PM