You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose?
04-21-2011, 12:41 PM,
RE: New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose?
Mathieu,

Here are my findings:

I ran Speedfan and Catalyst Control Center throughout several hours of playing X3: Terran Conflict on high settings, which can be a fairly demanding game. CCC reported my GPU temperature maxing at 50C, with a range of about 42-50C. Fan speed hovered at about 39%.

Speedfan's findings seemed to be about this:

System: 31C
CPU: 36C
Aux: 75C and over, rapidly fluctuating, leading me to believe that yes, this is some sort of error.
SMIOVT4: 31C
SMIOVT5: 31C
SMIOVT6: 31C
HD0: 26C
Core: 26C

The major discovery is with MemTest. I left it running last night when I went to bed, and awoke to find the computer frozen. The red "+" in "MemTest86+" was flashing, so whatever was going on on the monitor wasn't totally frozen, but the controls were locked up and the tests weren't running. The tests had run for 2:11:13, completed 2 passes, and generated 194 errors. It was frozen about halfway through Test #8.

What was really odd was that at the bottom of the screen, covering the section where the menu and controls normally appear, was a gigantic solid red rectangle. I have no idea what that means.

I powered the computer off and attempted to reboot it. Like I described in an earlier post, the fans came on, the computer seemed to power up, but nothing was happening on the monitor. Again on the advice of the friend who thought it was a power problem, I turned the computer off, switched off the power supply, unplugged the power cord for about 30 seconds, reseated it in the PSU, turned it back on, and the computer then booted up properly.

However, things did not proceed entirely normally. During startup, I got a message that said "CMOS Checksum bad- F2 to run setup, F1 to load default values." I hit F2, went into the BIOS, but didn't do anything and exited. Windows then loaded. My clock was all whacked out and set to some other time and date though, and I had to update it.

So yes, it looks like we've found something. Could you help me to interpret what all of this means for me and my system? Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose? - by Radiankh - 04-21-2011, 12:41 PM