You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose?
04-19-2011, 04:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2011, 04:29 PM by Radiankh.)
New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose?
Hi all,

I just built Mathieu's Tier 2 budget gaming PC. You can find it in this article:

http://www.hardware-revolution.com/budge...c-q4-2010/

I have all the Tier 2 hardware, except for the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus cpu cooler. I have it here in the box, but am currently using the stock cooler because the part came late and I couldn't resist building the PC.

It's been up and running I think exactly 2 weeks to the date. It's performed amazingly and I haven't had any problems with it until a day or two ago. It began locking up during games that I had previously had no problems with. It would just freeze during gameplay and occasionally the sound would be caught in some sort of loop. I thought it was a game issue, but installed another game and it happened there.

A friend suggested it might be issues with voltage drop in my apartment. He suggested getting a UPS which I haven't done yet because I haven't diagnosed the problem for sure. I did notice the PSU has sort of a loose connection between the cord and the PSU itself. Seems sort of flimsy. Once after a crash, the PC would not reboot. I would hear it start up, and the fans would light up and all, but no lights would come on on the keyboard and nothing would happen on the monitor. I unplugged and firmly reseated the cord to the PSU, and the computer started again.

Things seemed fine, but I quickly began to have problems again. I began fiddling with drivers; motherboard, audio, and video. Things got a little weird but it didn't seem to change the problem. Last night I reformatted the hard drive, reinstalled windows, and reinstalled all of the latest drivers for all the hardware.

I was just now on the internet and took a phone call. When I returned, the PC was totally locked up again. Cursor frozen, no response, but screen still on display, frozen. This is the first time I had a freeze that was not during an intensive moment of gaming.

Please, can somebody help me? What steps should I take to pinpoint exactly what the problem is? I hope I don't have a bad part! I really need to tackle this issue and get it firmly resolved, so I hope that one of you will extend yourself to help point me in the right direction.

Thank you very much.

Messages In This Thread
New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose? - by Radiankh - 04-19-2011, 04:28 PM