You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose?
04-22-2011, 05:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2011, 05:54 AM by Andrew J.)
RE: New Build Locking Up... How I Diagnose?
>Was my RAM's voltage set too high to begin with? Could this have damaged the RAM? Would it operate correctly if I set it down to 1.5V, or is the RAM already messed up?

It's a possibility that that may have caused the problem, definitely set it down to 1.5V. As for damaging the RAM, it's not very likely with only a .15V increase but still possible.

Take the RAM out completely and see if it will boot.
Your friendly forum administrator.
04-22-2011, 02:13 PM,
Andrew,

Uh oh. I took the RAM out, it's now back in its package waiting for me to RMA it. So no RAM in the computer, plugged it into my monitor and tried to start it up.... The monitor is still not receiving a signal. All the fans come on, I hear the DVD drive engage, etc. But nothing's happening. Starting to become concerned here.
04-22-2011, 06:59 PM,
Perhaps your motherboard has no speaker on it. Normally it would beep though.
04-23-2011, 02:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-23-2011, 03:59 PM by Radiankh.)
Oh God why.... My RMA is approved and I'll be sending my RAM out Monday morning. But I just picked up some "temporary" RAM to tide me over, which I made sure is compatible with the motherboard.

I put it in the computer. Hook everything up. THE SAME THING!! No signal on the monitor!! This motherboard doesn't have beep codes, it has something called Dr. Debug, which is an LED on the motherboard that displays codes. I can see that the code is "00," which reads in the manual as "Passes control to OS Loader (typically INT19H). This is the final code in the manual which I assume means it's at the end of the POST process. So I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing that this means the computer is booting up properly? Does this mean it's a video card issue? Do I need to go inside the chassis and check for loose power cables? Is the video card bad? What do I do, I'm so distressed about this now!

[EDIT]
Ok I just went inside the computer, made sure the video card was screwed in very securely, disconnected its 6-pin power cable and reseated it. I get a signal on the monitor now, and the computer seems to have booted up normally and I am using it as I write this. I found my timings for my temporary RAM, and its recommended voltage, and set them properly in the BIOS. So things should be ok, I think?

Only noticeable thing is that my desk surface is a hair off, or my chassis is a hair warped because I need to put a small folded up piece of paper under one of the rubber stoppers at the bottom of the chassis to keep it balanced. After I got the computer to boot windows, I tried to stick the paper under one of the rubber stoppers, and the computer just turned off. It's back on now, but I'm guessing maybe I need to go in again and make sure all of my cables are really snug? I mentioned earlier that the connection between the power cord and the PSU seems extremely flimsy. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this with that Antec 450W PSU. But I'm a little concerned that small amounts of vibration may cause the computer to shut down, so I guess I will be making sure everything is snug.. Just wish that power cord/PSU connection were more solid.
04-23-2011, 03:55 PM,
Relax. Cancel the RMA if you haven't already sent it, if you have then no big deal.

Checking for loose power cables would be the first thing to do. Have you gone through all the trouble shooting guides? (it's a sticky)
04-23-2011, 04:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-23-2011, 04:04 PM by Radiankh.)
(04-23-2011, 03:55 PM)Andrew J Wrote: Relax. Cancel the RMA if you haven't already sent it, if you have then no big deal.

Checking for loose power cables would be the first thing to do. Have you gone through all the trouble shooting guides? (it's a sticky)

Andrew,

It seems we posted right about at the same time; I just edited my post. I am still going to RMA the RAM because MemTest86+ found 240 errors from it in about 2 hours and 15 minutes and then froze during the test. I will be going in and firmly securing .all. the power cables, it's just that PSU connection I wonder about now mainly.

[EDIT]
On second thought, now that I am more aware about proper timing settings and DRAM voltage, would you recommend I reinsert that original GSkill RAM, set the proper timings and voltage, and run MemTest86+ overnight again? In case, as you said earlier, the settings could have had something to do with the RAM errors. Thanks.
04-23-2011, 04:30 PM,
I would RMA it anyways actually at this point, sorry I forgot about the errors.
04-24-2011, 10:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-25-2011, 01:20 AM by Radiankh.)
Ok here's my update.

I tested the new "temporary" Kingston RAM with MemTest86+ last night. I awoke to find it frozen. There were no errors, and it had run for 2:14:37 and completed almost 3 full passes. The "+" was blinking again and there was no giant red rectangle on the screen like the other time. But the system still would not respond to my keyboard input.

I rebooted the computer. I had a session of internet browsing and gaming today, and got 2 freezes. Both occurred during simple browsing, not anywhere near load for the CPU or GPU. First the system stopped responding to mouse clicks for a few seconds, but the cursor was still active. Then after a few more seconds the cursor would freeze, and I would have to reboot the machine.

Later I went inside the chassis and re-secured all of the power cables and motherboard connections. One thing I changed was my front panel wiring- the front panel's HDD led was not wired properly, nor was its reset button. I fixed that so they now both function.

Then I played with the video card. The first thing I noticed was that there is a small tab on the outer edge of the PCIE slot. It is like the tabs that secure RAM into place, but it does not "snap." It just slides in and out, presumable to secure the card. I noticed mine was pushed out. It doesn't seem to make a big difference as far as play in the card goes, but I made sure to push it in this time.

Second, there are two slots for graphics cards on this board, PCIE2 and PCIE4. I have had my graphics card installed in PCIE4, because if I put it in PCIE2, the card blocks the connection on the motherboard for my chassis's front panel audio cable. I consulted the motherboard's manual and did a little reading. The manual advises that if you are only using one graphics card, you install it in PCIE2. Thus, I moved the graphics card from PCIE4 into the PCIE2 slot. I just left my front panel audio cable unplugged, because I do not plug anything in there anyway. And as I said above, I made sure to push in the small tab at the edge of the port.

That's my update, hopefully that will change something. If anyone knows about the one video card, PCIE2 vs. PCIE4 thing I mentioned, and you think that's a relevant factor in the system's functioning, please let me know. Thanks.

[EDIT]
Well, the unthinkable just happened. Yes, another freeze, after a couple hours with no problems. I opened up the case, and all the fans were spinning, including the fan on the graphics card. I played with "tightening up" the graphics card and its connection a little bit, but there didn't seem to be anything wrong with it. Plugged in the computer again, yet it had fixed nothing. No signal on the monitor, all fans spinning, and the same 00 code as before.

Played with things again. Plugged the PSU back in. This time, -nothing at all-. No activity, nothing. I got really scared. I went to the PSU/power cord connection I have said feels extremely flimsy. It felt completely secure, I mean really secure. But I unplugged it, and really jammed it in there this time. Voila. PC boots up, and I have a signal on the monitor.

I can't really tell what the problem is, if it has something to do with the graphics card, or if it's this PSU that feels really sensitive and weak. But I feel like this is all the more data I'm going to get about the problem, and would like to find out which part I'll have to replace before these 30 day refund periods expire. Maybe it's just voltage drops in the building, like my friend suggested, and I should invest in a UPS. Though I don't know why I would end up with no monitor signal after the freeze if that were the issue.
04-25-2011, 11:45 AM,
Considering that MemTest86+ came out clean with no errors, yet frozen, that you still get random freeze and that you're having trouble with the PSU connection with the power cord, I'd say that the PSU is the culprit here. I'd RMA it.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
04-25-2011, 12:25 PM,
Will do. Thanks!