You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No beeps on post, monitor doesn't display
04-18-2011, 07:44 PM,
No beeps on post, monitor doesn't display
New build, finished today. When powering on for first time everything fired up, but no beeps and the monitor did not come on.

Tried a few things, checked everything, booted again, fans/LED's came on for a few seconds, turned off, powered back up on its own but still no beeps or picture on monitor.

Very confused, any advice is greatly appreciated!

MB: ASUS P8P67
CPU: i5 2500k
Memory: 2Gx2 Gskill
PSU: Corsair TX650
GPU: Sapphire HD6870
Case: HAF 922
04-18-2011, 08:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2011, 08:10 PM by Andrew J.)
RE: No beeps on post, monitor doesn't display
I'm assuming that you've already tested the monitor elsewhere and know that it works.

Are you plugging it into your graphics card or your motherboard?

EDIT: Actually this sounds like something is shorting your motherboard. Check for screws that might have fallen back there. If you still can't get it to boot properly then remove your motherboard and assemble your PC with just a few core components (motherboard, power supply, RAM, CPU, heatsink) on a table.
Your friendly forum administrator.
04-18-2011, 08:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2011, 08:43 PM by Calous.)
Thanks for the reply!

I've gone over everything pretty well, I can't see where something may be shorting, but I'll check again.

On another forum someone suggested removing the ram and booting w/o it, the idea being that if it gave ram error beep then that would mean the ram is the problem.

I removed the ram and got the beeps, but I don't see how that would suggest the ram is bad, going to try some from my other PC just to check.

Any opinions on this?

Also, I am plugging my Monitor into the Graphics Card not the MOBO, I don't know where I would plug it into the mobo...
04-19-2011, 06:11 AM,
That just means the motherboard doesn't have any RAM...

Yeah I checked and your motherboard doesn't have a graphics port, sorry.

Since it's rebooting itself once you turn it on it sounds like a short.
Your friendly forum administrator.
04-19-2011, 07:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2011, 09:45 AM by Calous.)
I got it to post! But I am now stuck on what to do heh.

After trying about 100 things, including swapping different ram, I took one stick of the original ram and put it in the B2 (4th from CPU) slot.

Computer posts, everything is good, but does that mean the MOBO is crap (DIMM A2 Fried) I'm not sure how to proceed.

I really don't want to RMA my MOBO but its looking like that is going to be what I need to do.

Thanks for your reply's I really appreciate your time and advice.

EDIT: Have been playing around, PC will not post if anything is in DIMM A1 or A2. It will Post if I have ram in either B1 or B2.
is there any way to determine for sure its the A1/A2 slots and not some bios setting or something else.
04-19-2011, 01:35 PM,
(04-19-2011, 07:12 AM)Calous Wrote: I got it to post! But I am now stuck on what to do heh.

After trying about 100 things, including swapping different ram, I took one stick of the original ram and put it in the B2 (4th from CPU) slot.

Computer posts, everything is good, but does that mean the MOBO is crap (DIMM A2 Fried) I'm not sure how to proceed.

I really don't want to RMA my MOBO but its looking like that is going to be what I need to do.

Thanks for your reply's I really appreciate your time and advice.

EDIT: Have been playing around, PC will not post if anything is in DIMM A1 or A2. It will Post if I have ram in either B1 or B2.
is there any way to determine for sure its the A1/A2 slots and not some bios setting or something else.

Did you try resetting the CMOS on the MOBO? i think that's what it's called... my MOBO was doing similar things and all I had to do was install all my components, remove the battery on the MOBO for 10 seconds, put it back in and it powered up fine. I was having similar problems where it wouldn't start with memory in certain slots and thought it was the slots until I did that and it reset and powered up fine.
04-19-2011, 08:42 PM,
Yeah tried that a few times, I RMA'd it today so we will see.

Thanks for the help everyone!