You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unlocking Cores
12-01-2010, 01:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-01-2010, 01:55 PM by Jilow.)
Unlocking Cores
I was wondering about the dangers in unlocking extra cores. Let's say it doesn't work, can you simply disable it, what's the worst case scenario? And what's the likely scenario for a failed unlocking of a core.

Second what's a good way to test whether you've unlocked a core, and if it's fully stable?

Lastly, would you guys recommend unlocking cores? How much would that hurt my life span of the Motherboard?

Would I be correct in thinking overclocking is more damaging or dangerous than running on a system with an unlocked core?
12-01-2010, 02:40 PM,
RE: Unlocking Cores
My friend got lucky and unlocked his CPU to a stable quad. So if you're up for gambling, it's not too bad of a risk, just make sure your system is up for it and don't be too disappointed if it doesn't unlock, cause it does say in the guide to the Budget PC that some CPU's really do have defective cores that were shut down for a reason.

It will use up more power if it does unlock and it's not a good idea to unlock/overclock without an after market cooler and a stable PSU capable of handling that.
12-01-2010, 02:47 PM,
I do have a after market cooler, and a quality power supply, I don't plan to overclock, but if my processor was designed to be a quad-core, (but one core was disabled) which hopefully is the case (as opposed to being disabled because a core was bad) then I think it should be fairly safe. Overclocking I don't like, I just feel it's going to hurt the life span of the product. I have a tri-core that I plan to try to unlock a quad core, using ASrock unlock feature.
12-01-2010, 02:56 PM,
I'd say go for it then.

Good luck.