You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One minor problem.
04-06-2011, 10:13 PM,
One minor problem.
Sorry for making another thread; this is the last one, I promise!

One last minor problem for you guys: Everything in my PC is peachy, except for when I boot up. More than 80% of the time, after I press the power switch, the case's leds light up, and the Blu-Ray drive's leds blink, the mobo lights go on, and all the fans start spinning.

The machine sounds like it's about to load of the OS, but after around 5 seconds everything just turns off. All lights and fans go off. Then, it actually restarts itself. It usually repeats this cycle around 2 times before actually going into the OS.

For me, I'm not bothered by it too much. What I want to know is, is this a hardware issue? Or is it supposed to do this? It could probably be my mobo. It's an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, with the TPU and EPU switches on. A lot of options in the BIOS are set to "Auto." Maybe it's the power-saving options? Maybe it's trying to find a safe overclock to start up in? Also, when this hiccuping happens, I get a little message on the monitor that says "overclocking failed." so... it might be that? Confused

If this sounds normal, I'll be happy and on my way. But if it isn't, I'd like to get to the root of the problem because my parts are slowly coming out of their return period. If it's RAM/Mobo/PSU related, I'd like to know ASAP so I can return them if needed.

Thanks again for helping me out. Blush

P.S. I heard that disabling the Marvell ports in the BIOS can increase boot time. I'm not using any Marvell SATA 6 ports, so I'd like to disable them... but I can't find it in the BIOS. Can anybody help me out with that? Huh

04-07-2011, 09:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-07-2011, 09:22 AM by ichigeki.)
RE: One minor problem.
I would check to see if wires are tightly placed, then start messing with the bios. By the way, how far does it get before it starts loading the OS, does it get to the Window's loading screen? Or does it just completely turns black and restarts.

Edit: This was happening to me too for the first week of my build. I messed around with the BIOS, I think I turned on staggering mode on my SSD and that seemed to have fixed the problem. Still not sure though.
Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30GHz RAM: G.Skill 8GB MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Video Card: SLI MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768 SSD: Corsair Force 3 60GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Mouse: Storm Sentinal Z3RO-G Keyboard: Das Keyboard Silent/Filco Majestouch 2 Speakers: Behringer MS-16 Headphones: Alessandro MS-1/Shure SRH440 modded Router: D-Link Xtreme DIR-655 Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM De-anti-glared Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X120e/Thinkpad T430
04-07-2011, 01:10 PM,
(04-07-2011, 09:21 AM)ichigeki Wrote: I would check to see if wires are tightly placed, then start messing with the bios. By the way, how far does it get before it starts loading the OS, does it get to the Window's loading screen? Or does it just completely turns black and restarts.

Edit: This was happening to me too for the first week of my build. I messed around with the BIOS, I think I turned on staggering mode on my SSD and that seemed to have fixed the problem. Still not sure though.

I don't have an SSD, unfortunately Sad

Also, when the machine does its little reboot cycle, nothing shows up on the monitor until it actually does its "real" boot and goes to the OS.

04-07-2011, 07:44 PM,
Under your BIOS, does it detect that you have a hard drive installed? Is it listed as the first Boot Priority? Also, if you have another computer, try downloading Linux Puppy onto a flash drive and try booting that up via the flash drive to see if your computer can boot up an OS 100% of the time.
Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30GHz RAM: G.Skill 8GB MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Video Card: SLI MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768 SSD: Corsair Force 3 60GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Mouse: Storm Sentinal Z3RO-G Keyboard: Das Keyboard Silent/Filco Majestouch 2 Speakers: Behringer MS-16 Headphones: Alessandro MS-1/Shure SRH440 modded Router: D-Link Xtreme DIR-655 Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM De-anti-glared Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X120e/Thinkpad T430
04-07-2011, 08:48 PM,
(04-07-2011, 07:44 PM)ichigeki Wrote: Under your BIOS, does it detect that you have a hard drive installed? Is it listed as the first Boot Priority? Also, if you have another computer, try downloading Linux Puppy onto a flash drive and try booting that up via the flash drive to see if your computer can boot up an OS 100% of the time.

Yes, my boot order goes Hard Drive -> DVD drive -> my card reader.

This is the only computer I can access right now. Is there any other way? My computer launched the OS 100% of the time I press the power button, just not on the first try. But if I press the power button and just let the computer do its thing, I'm guaranteed a boot eventually.
04-07-2011, 10:59 PM,

[/quote]

Yes, my boot order goes Hard Drive -> DVD drive -> my card reader.

This is the only computer I can access right now. Is there any other way? My computer launched the OS 100% of the time I press the power button, just not on the first try. But if I press the power button and just let the computer do its thing, I'm guaranteed a boot eventually.
[/quote]

If you can access it, go download Puppy Linux and install it onto a flash drive. If you can access Puppy when you first press the button, then I think there is something wrong with your windows install.
04-07-2011, 11:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-07-2011, 11:21 PM by MathieuB.)
Let me reassure you, your issue has nothing to do with the Windows installation, since it occurs when the PC hardware boots, before it tries to access the hard drive to boot into Windows. I know exactly what you're talking about here, this was common a few years ago, with the first generation of Core 2 Duo motherboards.

As long as your PC boots to Windows, it is not something that I'd worry about.

The fact that your motherboard indicates that "overclocking failed" is interesting though. Are you overclocking your PC at all?

This is not an issue, it's most likely just a setting within BIOS that you need to look into. Probably a power-saving option or a voltage that's slightly too low.

Also, remind me, what are the specs of your PC?
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
04-08-2011, 12:04 AM,
(04-07-2011, 11:19 PM)MathieuB Wrote: Let me reassure you, your issue has nothing to do with the Windows installation, since it occurs when the PC hardware boots, before it tries to access the hard drive to boot into Windows. I know exactly what you're talking about here, this was common a few years ago, with the first generation of Core 2 Duo motherboards.

As long as your PC boots to Windows, it is not something that I'd worry about.

The fact that your motherboard indicates that "overclocking failed" is interesting though. Are you overclocking your PC at all?

This is not an issue, it's most likely just a setting within BIOS that you need to look into. Probably a power-saving option or a voltage that's slightly too low.

Also, remind me, what are the specs of your PC?

I am in fact overclocking (gotta love ASUS' mobos... my i7-2600k is at 4.8 mhz stable with one click), but this issue happened even before I started overclocking.

My specs are:

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (TPU and EPU switches set to ON)
i7-2600k
EVGA reference 580 (soon to be a Twin Frozr II 580)
Thermalright Silver Arrow
NZXT Tempest Evo
8GB 1600 G.Skill Ripjaws X
Corsair modular 850w 80+ gold certified PSU
Samsung Blu-Ray DVD Burner drive combo
a Sony Internal Card Reader
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM HDD

It could be the power saving options... but I really like them and would like to keep them enabled. What was that about the voltage?
04-08-2011, 09:27 AM,
When you finally get the computer started, does it show the overclock to be at 4.8ghz?, You could also try to increase the volt limit on your cpu, I think thats what its called.
04-08-2011, 01:04 PM,
(04-08-2011, 09:27 AM)ichigeki Wrote: When you finally get the computer started, does it show the overclock to be at 4.8ghz?, You could also try to increase the volt limit on your cpu, I think thats what its called.

Yes, it shows it to be at 4.8ghz. How can I increase the volt limit on my cpu?