You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summer project
04-05-2011, 10:37 PM,
Summer project
Hi all, I've decided to build a gaming rig (1500-2000) this summer. I've done research since January and I am thankful that I found this website ironically enough through Stumbleupon. Anyway, here is what I have as my list. It's not complete, of course, but I'd like to know what you think. I'm not really knowledgeable about what gaming PCs need, so some of what you say may go over my head, but I'll appreciate any input you guys have.

Project Chrono Gaming Rig V2.0
1500-2000

Case

CPU- Intel
Intel Core i5-2500 (210.00)
*Intel Core I5-2500k (225.00)
*Intel I7-2600 (300.00)
Intel I7-2600K (330.00)
LGA 1155
http://tinyurl.com/4zywswy

Motherboards

Asus

ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION http://tinyurl.com/3ecdrtw 260.00
ASUS P6X58D http://tinyurl.com/y93pstt 290.00

Memory (6-8GB?)
16 GB (http://tinyurl.com/3bh2jqk) 4 GB x 4 = 200.00

Video Card (ATI or NVIDIA?)
2 X GIGABYTE GV-R687OC-1GD http://tinyurl.com/42x4cue (230.00 X 2)

Sound Card (Internal or Card?) Internal

Hard Drive (2: 1 Solid State for OS, 1-2TB drive for storage?)

DVD drive: (Blueray reader or writer? Or DVD-rewritable? 1 or 2 drives?)

Other hardware?

Speakers?
Monitor (19''-23''?)

Windows 7-which version?
04-06-2011, 10:09 AM,
RE: Summer project
Well, if you're not doing this until the summer, the new AMD Bulldozer chip should be out. It should be an option, as it is likely to provide a similar level of performance to the Intel Sandy Bridge line, and possibly at a lower price point.

With the Sandy Bridge chips, the main difference between the i5-2500 and the i7-2600 is hyper-threading. That will provide better performance with rendering and I believe even Photoshop. If you don't do a lot with graphics and video editing, then the i5-2500 will be a better option just due to the price difference. Go with the unlocked K variant if you want to overclock at all.

As for nVidia vs ATI/AMD... take your pick. Outside of the fanboys, they seem pretty equal. nVidia has better drivers, while ATI/AMD seems to have better connectivity options, particularly for multiple monitors. Some games will work better with one or the other, but that varies.
04-07-2011, 05:17 AM,
As a general rule (though by no means universal) for the newer cards if you are planning on using just a single card then nvidia tends to perform better. But if you plan on using a dual card setup, ati scales better in crossfire so they are the better option.
04-07-2011, 09:16 AM,
Pro: I'd go for the i5-2500, or the i5-2500k if you overclock. That is unless bulldozer shows up this summer then things will get interesting.

MOBO: The motherboard will be chosen according to the socket for the processor. So if you get any of the sandy bridge processors, pick a 1155 motherboard.

RAM: 8gb or ram is more than plenty, unless you: edit high resolution videos/pictures or want to create a ram drive. I have 8gb of ram and I have 1gb set aside for a ramdrive, edit 200+ megapixel photos on photoshop and still have plenty of ram.

Video: Video cards get updated really fast, I can't recommend anything right now for in a few months. But for right now, the best video cards for the ~$250 sweet spot are the gtx 560s and the 6950s.

Sound: Internal sound is amazing as it is. Unless you have an epic pair of headphones, have a surround sound system, or is an audiophile, I think integrated sound is good enough.

Storage: Newer SSDs may come out soon too. But if I were to recommend anything as of right now, the OCZ Vertex 2 is a nice choice, at $110 for 50gb and $125 for 60gb. I can't say I've used any recent HDD, but everyone seems to be loving the Samsung F3/F4 drives.

DVD: Personally, I'd rather have an external DVD/Blu-ray player. Its because I only use it about once a month to either rip new cds, or occasionally watch dvds/blu-rays. Its also handy for my laptop. I know its not a big deal, but I just don't like something in my computer to boot up everytime I power on, even though I only use it once a month.

Speakers: What kind of speakers are you thinking about? 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, etc.

Monitor: Again, personally I can't use a screen larger than 23' for a desktop. The immersion is great, but my eyes begin to strain really fast. If you wait a while, Windez's monitor guide will be posted up soon.

Windows-7: I recommend just the simple home edition. The only thing that is missing from the home that I generally use, is the gpedit.msc. Unless you use that often home is the cheapest and best. Professional has an xp mode if you want to run older programs, and ultimate has everything including BitLocker.
Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30GHz RAM: G.Skill 8GB MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Video Card: SLI MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768 SSD: Corsair Force 3 60GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Mouse: Storm Sentinal Z3RO-G Keyboard: Das Keyboard Silent/Filco Majestouch 2 Speakers: Behringer MS-16 Headphones: Alessandro MS-1/Shure SRH440 modded Router: D-Link Xtreme DIR-655 Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM De-anti-glared Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X120e/Thinkpad T430