You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Computer Troubles
04-03-2011, 12:43 AM,
New Computer Troubles
Hi, I just finished my first build. However, there was one slight problem. The graphics cards (2 ASUS DirectCU 6870s) didn't fit. They fit in the case, but the metal shield on them wouldn't fit through the slots in the case (an NZXT Tempest Evo.)

Is this poor design on ASUS' part? Or is this a shoddy case? There was another flaw with the case; flimsy and cheap fan connectors which no other reviewers complained of. Confused

Also: When the computer starts up, the LED's on the motherboard and the case light up and the fans start spinning, but then the computer "hiccups" and shuts down for a second. It then "wakes up" about 2 seconds later and starts spinning again, and it stays on. Is this normal? Huh

Lastly: Since the graphics cards didn't fit, I decided to recycle my old PCI-e card from my old computer so I could at least hook up a monitor and get Windows 7 up and running. It is a Radeon HD 2400 Pro. It fit in the case fine, but when I tried hooking it up via HDMI, nothing showed up on the monitor when I powered on. I tried the same with DVI, which I knew for sure worked on this monitor, to no avail. Is this because the graphics card isn't compatible with the motherboard, or is there something else wrong?

To anybody who can help me out, thanks a bunch. This site and its community have inspired me to actually step up to the plate and build a computer. Thanks! Big Grin
04-03-2011, 11:03 AM,
RE: New Computer Troubles
Not sure what you mean by your video cards not fitting. They should definitely fit, you probably just didn't figure out how to do it properly, I guess. Can you take a picture to show me?

What your PC does when it starts is uncommon, but it happens and it was more common with certain chipsets. What are the parts that you have in your PC?

Does the Radeon HD 2400 require any power connector(s) and if it does, did you plug it (them) in the card?
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
04-03-2011, 12:05 PM,
(04-03-2011, 11:03 AM)MathieuB Wrote: Not sure what you mean by your video cards not fitting. They should definitely fit, you probably just didn't figure out how to do it properly, I guess. Can you take a picture to show me?

What your PC does when it starts is uncommon, but it happens and it was more common with certain chipsets. What are the parts that you have in your PC?

Does the Radeon HD 2400 require any power connector(s) and if it does, did you plug it (them) in the card?

Thanks for the fast response!

The metal shields, where you plug in DVI and HDMI, don't fit in the case. What made me suspicious was that the Radeon HD 2400 fit, and it's PCI-e too. So it's not the case's fault. I think it's a design flaw.

The parts in the PC are:
i7-2600k
Thermalright Silver Arrow
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
NZXT Tempest Evo
8GB 1600mhz G.Skill Ripjaws X RAM
Corsair 850w Modular 80+ certified PSU
and no video card at the moment.

I can't tell if the hiccuping is harmful, because I can't plug in a monitor to check if it's finishing POST. Maybe it's hiccuping because it's looking for a graphics card and there is none?

I just checked and the Radeon 2400 does not have any power connectors.

Thanks!
04-03-2011, 02:50 PM,
See if this video help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkjFysvzm...re=related

Looks like the same case or a fairly similar one. As long as the metal tab (not where you screw it to secure it, the other end) fits next to the motherboard, it's just a matter of putting it in the right angle to clear everything. Of course, you have to remove two PCI slots from the case for each card to fit.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
04-04-2011, 02:51 AM,
(04-03-2011, 02:50 PM)MathieuB Wrote: See if this video help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkjFysvzm...re=related

Looks like the same case or a fairly similar one. As long as the metal tab (not where you screw it to secure it, the other end) fits next to the motherboard, it's just a matter of putting it in the right angle to clear everything. Of course, you have to remove two PCI slots from the case for each card to fit.

Thanks again for the quick response!

The hiccuping and monitor problems were resolved when we realized we had forgotten to plug in the 4-pin power cable Angel

We went to Fry's today and picked up a GTX 580 instead. It fit just fine. Sleepy