You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Build - Thanks!
04-02-2011, 12:30 AM,
First Build - Thanks!
Alright, so I just finished my first build using the budget gaming guide from the site, just want to say thanks! This is technically my third build, the first two worked out for what they were, but I really feel that this time around with the guide and you guys helping me troubleshoot I've put together the best PC I've ever had at a great price!

Below are my specs/prices:

Antec P182 Case
Antec Truepower 2.0 480W Blue PSU
Kingston V-Series 64GB SSD Drive: Total Cost for all three - $160 (I bought this off my brother's friend who wanted to build his own then just went and bought a mac instead, hence the discount)

Asus M4A88TD-EVO-USB3 - $105 AR
AMD Phenom II X4 840 (Stock Cooler) - $100
Galaxy GTX 460 768 GB - $100 AR
8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3 - $40 AR (Hopefully! I ran into a major problem where USPS returned my rebate forms to me for lack of .17 cents postage after the rebate period!!! I was so pissed, I double checked postage when I dropped it off at the post office! I talked to a Kingston rep who said he may be able to help me out anyways)

Old parts from other desktop:

Samsung DVD R Drive
250GB Sata Drive
D-Link - Wireless PCI Adapter
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Soundcard (need this for the music production I do)

Total Price (new components only): $505

Not bad for me. I had originally wanted to spend a little less, but the Case/PSU/SDD combo kind of dropped into my lap and I wasn't planned on getting a new GPU at first. But for a Gaming/Audio Workstation Build, I'm pretty pleased.

Running Prime95 right now to test the system, but everything looks to be running good right now.

Thanks again.
04-02-2011, 09:45 PM,
RE: First Build - Thanks!
That's an awesome value, the build you have. All for only about $500. You're going to get some pretty speedy performance with that.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6970 VGA Cooler: Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 550W Kingwin Lazer 80 Plus Platinum Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Q12 Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500 Monitor: Sceptre 27"
04-03-2011, 10:41 AM,
Very nicely done, with an awesome value indeed!

Any chance that we might see some pictures of your build?
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
04-08-2011, 07:09 AM,
(04-03-2011, 10:41 AM)MathieuB Wrote: Very nicely done, with an awesome value indeed!

Any chance that we might see some pictures of your build?

Yes, I will have some pictures of the build soon, I assume the inside since the outside isn't much to look at?

I also have an update, my memory rebate was received and is being processed! I had a very nice customer rep at Kingston who helped me out!

I think I will be set, I do not plan on doing any overclocking on the CPU or do you guys think that could be possible? I only have a stock cooler so I don't want to push things.
04-14-2011, 06:40 PM,
Alright, so I was finally able to get some pictures up:

[Image: img1163k.jpg]
[Image: img1164n.jpg]

I have three questions if anyone can help:

1. In order to manage my power cables coming out of my PSU better I removed a fan from the case. There was a fan there at the bottom directly in front of the PSU and I just felt the cables were too crowded coming out of the one hole. Will this be an issue? The PSU itself has fans and there are fans and I still have two large fans in the main MOBO area and this case has air filters.
2. The two fans have speed switches which I currently have set to medium. I have two questions. Is there anyway to position these switches to be accessed outside of the case? I didn't see any, but maybe someone who has a similar case worked something out? And also is medium fine? or should I crank them to high given I removed the third fan?
3. Should I try to overclock my CPU? It has one of those switches that automatically overclocks but I am using a stock cooler so I don't want to cause any issues unnecessarily. I was running Prime95 benchmarks and the CPU was hitting 54 degrees which i felt was kind of high even with no overclocking.

Thanks.