You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting PCI Express Causes Computer Not To Post?
04-01-2011, 09:14 PM,
Connecting PCI Express Causes Computer Not To Post?
So I am trying to finish this build, but I am stuck on this last problem:

The Computer will not post to BIOS when I plug in the two PCI Express 6 Pin cables to the Graphics card.

Here are my specs:

ASUS M4ATD88-EVO-USB3 MOBO
AMD Phenom II X4 840
8 GB (4x2) Kingston 1600 DDR
Antec TruePower 2.0 480W PSU
Galaxy GTX 460 768MB

I initially ran into issues where the computer would not post at all, but I figured out I just needed to reset the MOBO by removing the battery and putting it back in. That got me to boot with everything. I tested each stick of memory alone and none caused problems.

The only thing I can think of is that the first time I booted after resetting I forgot to plug in the 2 6 PCIe cables into the GPU and I went ahead and installed windows during that first boot.

I don't think this should be an issue just because it shouldn't act any different had I installed everything and then put in the card. I shut the computer down, unplugged everything and plugged in the PCIe power cables and it would not post.

If I shut down, unplug, and then unplug the cables again it will start up to windows just fine.

I read online and couldn't really find anything concrete other than it could be a mobo or GPU issue.

I know when I first started up and windows installed it self installed drivers for a GPU even without the PCIe power cables in, could this be the issue?

My MOBO has two PCIe express slots and I have now tried both with no success.

Any insight would be appreciated. Seeing as windows recognized a GPU when it started I would think it is not a MOBO issue, could it just be a bad GPU?
04-01-2011, 09:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2011, 09:24 PM by Andrew J.)
RE: Connecting PCI Express Causes Computer Not To Post?
I take it you remembered to switch the port that the monitor is plugged in to from the motherboard to the graphics card?
Your friendly forum administrator.
04-01-2011, 09:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2011, 10:29 PM by diddy.)
RE: Connecting PCI Express Causes Computer Not To Post?
Yes, at first I didn't, but then I did and still did nothing. I went and uninstalled the old drivers and reset the MOBO several times, it looks to be booting right now so I don't know what the issue might have been.
Yep, working OK right now. Thanks for the help.