You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommended keyboard?
04-01-2011, 10:45 AM,
Recommended keyboard?
I've been using a $6 dollar keyboard for a while and have no issues. I went to best buy the other day to try out the $60< keyboards and they don't seem to be that much better if i spent $60 on them. Are there any really nice keyboards for $60 or under? also, I might look into the higher end mechanical key boards too. Are there any nice mechanical keyboard for under $100? Thanks all.
Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30GHz RAM: G.Skill 8GB MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Video Card: SLI MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768 SSD: Corsair Force 3 60GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Mouse: Storm Sentinal Z3RO-G Keyboard: Das Keyboard Silent/Filco Majestouch 2 Speakers: Behringer MS-16 Headphones: Alessandro MS-1/Shure SRH440 modded Router: D-Link Xtreme DIR-655 Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM De-anti-glared Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X120e/Thinkpad T430
04-01-2011, 12:23 PM,
RE: Recommended keyboard?
Well, if you want one right around the $60ish range, this is the one I use Logitech G110. It has enough programable buttons and adjustably lit keys to fit in with the theme of your desk or computer. I like the feel, look, and how it handles the games I play. This particular keyboard I have seen at Best Buys and other fine stores, so you could probably get a good feel for it before you decided to buy it.
04-01-2011, 02:09 PM,
(04-01-2011, 12:23 PM)David the Gamer Wrote: Well, if you want one right around the $60ish range, this is the one I use Logitech G110. It has enough programable buttons and adjustably lit keys to fit in with the theme of your desk or computer. I like the feel, look, and how it handles the games I play. This particular keyboard I have seen at Best Buys and other fine stores, so you could probably get a good feel for it before you decided to buy it.

Thanks for the suggestion. Its an illuminating keyboard. Are the illuminations annoying? I'd love to have one that illuminates, but if its too harsh then I'd rather not have it. Can you adjust the brightness on it?
Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30GHz RAM: G.Skill 8GB MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Video Card: SLI MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768 SSD: Corsair Force 3 60GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Mouse: Storm Sentinal Z3RO-G Keyboard: Das Keyboard Silent/Filco Majestouch 2 Speakers: Behringer MS-16 Headphones: Alessandro MS-1/Shure SRH440 modded Router: D-Link Xtreme DIR-655 Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM De-anti-glared Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X120e/Thinkpad T430
04-01-2011, 02:27 PM,
Yeah, it comes with drivers that allow you to adjust the colors as well as configuring additional keys. The brightness of those illuminated keys hasn't been an issue when gaming in the light or dark. However, the range of colors is limited from a specrum of red to blue and the variations inbetween. The cool thing is, though, you can program in three different color settings on the keyboard and adjust it on the fly.
04-01-2011, 03:39 PM,
I recommend a mechanical keyboard if you can afford it.

Here's a guide on exactly what mechanical keyboards are.
http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/49175...guide.html
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6970 VGA Cooler: Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 550W Kingwin Lazer 80 Plus Platinum Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Q12 Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500 Monitor: Sceptre 27"
04-01-2011, 04:14 PM,
I went crazy researching keyboards....kind of like how I go crazy when researching anything! LOL What I found was that many of the gaming keyboards have a smaller spread when it comes to the key layout. Also, most of your keyboards now are of the rubber dome variety. The mechanical ones people talk of are quite interesting. You'll find Cherry switches talked about a lot....blue brown black...even red and I think clear if I remember corectly? Basically blue is clicky, brown tactile...not as clicky...and black...non clicky...closer to the feel you get now...and quiet. There are other brands and styles or switches held in high esteem too...like Topre.

Most people reference the IBM Model M mechanical keyboards as being a sort of reference standard. I also found a slightly less referenced keyboard from Dell...the AT101W that is similar. I bought a used one on Ebay for $4.95 plus about $16 shipping. My wife shot me more than a few looks as I did this...like...really...a used keyboard? I got the black version which is harder to find. The seller seems to be on there selling them one after another for the same price. I took a chance so that I could see what the mechanical keyboard craze was about. The type of switches in these and the IBMs are not the Cherry brand....can't remember the type....and I'm too lazy to research it now...but it turned out to be a good purchase. My wife loves it! Big Grin I personally think its okay...probably about the same as a rubber dome for me....but I do think I type slightly faster. And I like the clean linear look. The clicking is definitely louder...but fine with both of us. We just smile when the other one of us is in the office making noise. LOL I got a deal on mine because it isnt listed as an AT101W. It's listed under model number 077EUG. I read that this was a good cheap entry board. Before this I was interested in a few different ones.

Most of the hype suggested a Filco would be the way to go. I personally use the 10 key...but the 10 keyless version seems to be very popular with gamers. Well...Filco stopped being available in the US...www.elitekeyboards.com stopped selling them. Instead they sell Leopold. Supposedly just as good if not better. Last I looked they had a 10 keyless version but talk of a full layout was suggesting that it might be available soon. You can also buy basically a new IBM Model M...from the manufacturer that bought the rights from IBM....Unicomp. First Lexmark bought the rights...then the new spin off company bought the rights...and they are still made. Only problem is...they make white or a fugly black with gray keys. (I kind of like the fugly gray...but it's not quite the same as in the past) The switches are the same from what I've read....but the keyboard itself is lighter. Not the same feel...but close. But pricey too! Dang...like around $80! Oh..and if you want that Filco...I found a site. The Keyboard Company in the UK has them in a US layout. Expensive though...and you might have to worry about paying customs. I also heard about two months ago that another store....some Army store has them as well.

Okay so I'm all over the place and vague from faded memory. I apologize....just hoping to give you a faster chance at finding what you want.

When it was all said and done I wore myself out and just bought the cheap Dell. I actually found them new as well....but the one I have is clicking along great.

If you're an avid gamer that needs dedicated hot keys...or you want illumination...then you might want to spring for a Logitech, Microsoft...or maybe even the mechanical Raven with blue cherry switches. If typing is important to you you might want to try a mechanical. You might also want to make sure the keyboard layout is roomy enough where you don't make a lot of mistakes when typing. I'll end this ramble with some names I came across in my searches for premium boards.

Cherry
DAS
Raven
Ducky
Filco
Leopold
Unicomp

And I'm sure there are a few I missed!

Where you will notice differences is in whether or not they are USB...if they have N key rollover, if they are illumiated, how the keys are printed...lazered etc....and overall quality of build. You will find some have fingerprint problems, some lose there letters on the more frequently used keys and some have a better feel than others. Like anything else I believe it's easy to get caught up in the hype. Are mechanical keyboards worth it? Hmm...to my wife yes...to me...not as strong of a response...but I think I'm sold. In fact...I still have an idea that I could spring for a full 104 key version of the Leopold at a later date. Just keep in mind that you can spend some buck...so if you can try one out for free it might be a smart move. I think it's possible that some people would rather put their money elsewhere. But then again... to listen to some people you'd think the world would stop spinning if they didn't have their mechanical keyboard! Hope this helps. Good luck!
04-01-2011, 04:51 PM,
andiron you should do an article for keyboardsWink
04-01-2011, 05:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2011, 06:08 PM by Bigpapa42.)
This is something I've been eying up as well. I haven't done that much research yet, but I have looked into it. I currenty have an older wireless Logitech, which still works but its hardly ideal. I like the idea of a mechanical, moreso because I like the feel of the keystroke than anything else.

Was looking at the Razer Black Widow, partly because a local store has one in stock. Reading some of the responses and comparisons makes me a tocuh leery. I really like what I've seen & read of the Deck Legend, but it would more difficult to get my hands on one.

Edit - the other option I'm looking at is getting a decent game-controller. Specifically the 360-style Microsoft controller, since I'm so used to it from the 360. Its a much cheaper option than a good mechanical keyboard. I'm a touch concerned about cross-over between that controller and my actual 360 controller, since they would both be in the same room... Haven't looked into that yet.

Edit II - its not a wireless controller so it wouldn't matter. That makes it easier.
04-01-2011, 06:10 PM,
(04-01-2011, 04:51 PM)windez Wrote: andiron you should do an article for keyboardsWink

+1

I had no idea that elitekeyboards stopped selling Filco keyboards, any idea why?

That's where I got my keyboard last year. Filco with MX Cherry Blue and I love it. I definitely type faster with it, I always hook it up to my laptop when I'm home and I miss it when I'm on the go. Their compact offerings are nice, but at ~$250, way too expensive for a keyboard IMO.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
04-01-2011, 06:59 PM,
WOW thanks all, I don't have time now to read but I will rep!