You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AMD Bulldozer FX Revealed
03-28-2011, 05:38 PM,
AMD Bulldozer FX Revealed
Bulldozer

Can anyone confirm this blog? The specs look impressive. 4-8mb L2 Cache, on each core? Won't know how well it does until it actually comes out however.
Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30GHz RAM: G.Skill 8GB MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Video Card: SLI MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768 SSD: Corsair Force 3 60GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Mouse: Storm Sentinal Z3RO-G Keyboard: Das Keyboard Silent/Filco Majestouch 2 Speakers: Behringer MS-16 Headphones: Alessandro MS-1/Shure SRH440 modded Router: D-Link Xtreme DIR-655 Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM De-anti-glared Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X120e/Thinkpad T430
03-28-2011, 05:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-28-2011, 05:45 PM by Brian.)
RE: AMD Bulldozer FX Revealed
This is old news. Most of this is confirmed. The rest is rumors.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6970 VGA Cooler: Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 550W Kingwin Lazer 80 Plus Platinum Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Q12 Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500 Monitor: Sceptre 27"
03-28-2011, 06:03 PM,
Confirmed! This will be the series of AMD cpu's that will crush intel, or at least force them to step up and price down, it's a good thing for both intel and amd fans. On sites like wiki and others estimate release date for the four models of Bulldozer will be July 2011, but the enhanced models(2nd gen) will be out early 2012 which will include 10-12 cores. Then from there just put a chip in my brain and leave the pizza at the door. Although AMD is saying these AM3+ sockets will not be compatible with AM3 mobos, many manufactures of mobos are coming out and saying with a simple bios update they will be compatible, if the actual hardware is different I don't see how a update could do anything. So we will see. I'd hate to have to get a new mobo less than a year or so after just buying a new one. Technology is exciting and so is the speed at which it advances, makes one wonder what really is next.
03-28-2011, 07:35 PM,
> This will be the series of AMD cpu's that will crush intel

Highly unlikely. Compete? Sure. Crush? Doubtful.

>but the enhanced models(2nd gen) will be out early 2012 which will include 10-12 cores.

Where are you getting this? Except for the server models, Bulldozer was supposed to be 4-8 cores, Komodo (future desktop Bulldozer) may have up to 10 cores though.

Otherwise everything you posted is pretty accurate. Smile
Your friendly forum administrator.
03-28-2011, 08:16 PM,
I don't think I've read anything from inside the industry suggesting that anyone expects the Bulldozer to significantly outperform the Sandy Bridge line. Equal or even slightly surpass, certainly. They could drive the price point of the SB line down a bit. Intel does have the Ivy Bridge coming out in early 2012, which should be a step up yet.
03-28-2011, 08:43 PM,
Brian: Sorry, I don't get the latest in tech news.

Bigpapa42: Theres a line in the article stating, "According to AMD’s own documents the new generation of processors offer up to 50% more performance than the current Phenom II family multimedia aspects." So that means the fastest of the FX will be 50% faster than Phenom IIs. Thats a pretty good upgrade from phenom II.
Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30GHz RAM: G.Skill 8GB MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Video Card: SLI MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768 SSD: Corsair Force 3 60GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Mouse: Storm Sentinal Z3RO-G Keyboard: Das Keyboard Silent/Filco Majestouch 2 Speakers: Behringer MS-16 Headphones: Alessandro MS-1/Shure SRH440 modded Router: D-Link Xtreme DIR-655 Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM De-anti-glared Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X120e/Thinkpad T430
03-28-2011, 09:59 PM,
(03-28-2011, 08:43 PM)ichigeki Wrote: Bigpapa42: Theres a line in the article stating, "According to AMD’s own documents the new generation of processors offer up to 50% more performance than the current Phenom II family multimedia aspects." So that means the fastest of the FX will be 50% faster than Phenom IIs. Thats a pretty good upgrade from phenom II.

The general expectations seem to be for the Bulldozer to be a real step up from the current AMD line. No reason yet to expect that they won't be very competitive with the Intel SB line. I just thought the "crush Intel" comment seemed to be putting expectations at an unlikely level.

The line from the documentations is encouraging. But it is a pretty general statement. It sets an expectation, but it doesn't really give a lot of info on in what exact areas its going to be a major performance upgrade. Is that overall or certain benchmarks?
03-28-2011, 10:10 PM,
(03-28-2011, 09:59 PM)Bigpapa42 Wrote:
(03-28-2011, 08:43 PM)ichigeki Wrote: Bigpapa42: Theres a line in the article stating, "According to AMD’s own documents the new generation of processors offer up to 50% more performance than the current Phenom II family multimedia aspects." So that means the fastest of the FX will be 50% faster than Phenom IIs. Thats a pretty good upgrade from phenom II.

The general expectations seem to be for the Bulldozer to be a real step up from the current AMD line. No reason yet to expect that they won't be very competitive with the Intel SB line. I just thought the "crush Intel" comment seemed to be putting expectations at an unlikely level.

The line from the documentations is encouraging. But it is a pretty general statement. It sets an expectation, but it doesn't really give a lot of info on in what exact areas its going to be a major performance upgrade. Is that overall or certain benchmarks?

True, the rumors and claims by fanboys and amd that Bulldozer is 50% faster than Intel's i7 will probably not hold up. What I mean by a good upgrade is a 50% increase from Phenom II. We still have to see the pricing too, if it will even be a replacement for Phenom II.
03-29-2011, 06:10 PM,
(03-28-2011, 10:10 PM)ichigeki Wrote: True, the rumors and claims by fanboys and amd that Bulldozer is 50% faster than Intel's i7 will probably not hold up. What I mean by a good upgrade is a 50% increase from Phenom II. We still have to see the pricing too, if it will even be a replacement for Phenom II.

well a 50% improvement over a Phenom II 970 would put you right next to a i5-2500 stock.
04-03-2011, 09:55 PM,
You honestly think this?

Please post results of any head to head tests between these two both stock and overclocked and I can guarantee you in not one category would the i5 outdo the 970 by 50%, that's ridiculous. Plus the Phenom 970 isn't even at the class range the i5-2500 is nor was it ever meant to be. Also, if you admit to yourself as a pc enthusiast and gamer, even the lower end amd and intel chips are overkill for the games we are offered by the gaming industry today, if anything the extreme games are more GPU heavy dependent.

It just amazes me how there is this war within the pc enthusiast community, who is already at war with consoles and mobile technologies in order to stay alive, and here we are battling over which chip can perform best. It's simple, AMD is a budget chip, yet it performs very well as a budget chip and in many cases outperforms it's competition. Intel has over 80,000 employees, AMD just 11,000. Intel has an operating income of over 16 billion with a B, AMD less than 1 billion. These are massive differences yet AMD does very well to compete and anyone that denies this is just lying or clueless. AMD in my opinion is the better choice, for me, and that's all that matters. If it was not for AMD your Intel chips today wouldn't be half as great as they are. Intel is a monopoly, real pc enthusiasts are suppose to fight this idea and welcome and support competition. I'll remember not to sound like such an Intel hater next time around, but it's hard.