You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Look good for a gaming rig?*UPDATED*
03-27-2011, 03:51 PM,
RE: Look good for a gaming rig?
(03-27-2011, 02:34 PM)MathieuB Wrote: I can confirm that the Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 does come with two DVI ports, based on the fact that I owned the card before Wink Just looks at the pictures, you'll see the two DVI ports.

PowerColor is alright. I've seen worse and I've seen better brands too.

The Crossfire cable usually comes with the video card, although some brands don't include one, to reduce costs I suppose. You can also buy it separately: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814999002

Well I ended up buying everything last night. I ended up going with the XFX board.

Like I said I looked at a ton of reviews on Newegg and a bunch say, "Only comes with 1 DVI port despite what the picture says," so I was a little wary.

I got an extra CF cable too just to be safe. I'd hate to hook it all up and not have one little cable.
04-06-2011, 03:24 PM,
Got everything finally. Hooking it all up and with that MSI board and my two 6850s, I only am able to access two of my SATA ports. Any way around this? Is there a splitter? I have both of my hard drives hooked up fine but my DVD/BR drive isn't able to be hooked up.
04-06-2011, 04:36 PM,
(04-06-2011, 03:24 PM)markulous Wrote: Got everything finally. Hooking it all up and with that MSI board and my two 6850s, I only am able to access two of my SATA ports. Any way around this? Is there a splitter? I have both of my hard drives hooked up fine but my DVD/BR drive isn't able to be hooked up.

So are the SATA ports completely blocked off? Like the GPU sits right over it? Or is it hard to access?

I don't know about any SATA splitters... do you have any PCIe slots free? Maybe install a SATA PCIe card?
04-06-2011, 04:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-06-2011, 05:15 PM by markulous.)
Yeah I have a right angled Sata cable but it's almost completely blocked off. I might be able to squeeze it in there but I'd have to push out my Mobo or GPU.

Also I just booted it up and in the BIOS its reading the CPU temp at 49 C. Doesn't that seem a little hot for something with all of those fans and it hasn't even been overclocked yet? My system temp is at 25 C.

Also I think my GPUs are taking up all of that space too to add another PCIe device.

Edit: NVM. I got it in there barely. It's still right up against the GPU. I had to take out the GPU, put in the Sata cable, then maneuver it on.
04-14-2011, 10:44 AM,
Just in case anyone is looking at this build, it works great. I used CPU-Z, GPU-Z, and Speedfan for heat and voltage monitoring. While I used the Catalyst software that AMD has to enable crossfire, I used MSI Afterburner to run the overclock. And of course I just used the BIOS to run the CPU OC(which is super easy). Although the BIOS didn't seem very accurate when it came to heat monitoring, so Speedfan works way better.

As far as performance, it's awesome. So far I've run Dragon Age 2 and Just Cause 2 on max and there's been absolutely no lag and no heat problems. Hoping it will run Dead Island, Batman: Arkham City, and BF3 on near max when they come out.
04-14-2011, 08:18 PM,
(04-14-2011, 10:44 AM)markulous Wrote: Just in case anyone is looking at this build, it works great. I used CPU-Z, GPU-Z, and Speedfan for heat and voltage monitoring. While I used the Catalyst software that AMD has to enable crossfire, I used MSI Afterburner to run the overclock. And of course I just used the BIOS to run the CPU OC(which is super easy). Although the BIOS didn't seem very accurate when it came to heat monitoring, so Speedfan works way better.

As far as performance, it's awesome. So far I've run Dragon Age 2 and Just Cause 2 on max and there's been absolutely no lag and no heat problems. Hoping it will run Dead Island, Batman: Arkham City, and BF3 on near max when they come out.

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I have a massive GPU that made all the cabling quite difficult so I know where you were coming from. What is Dead Island? Sounds like it might be up my alley.
04-14-2011, 09:55 PM,
(04-14-2011, 08:18 PM)diddy Wrote:
(04-14-2011, 10:44 AM)markulous Wrote: Just in case anyone is looking at this build, it works great. I used CPU-Z, GPU-Z, and Speedfan for heat and voltage monitoring. While I used the Catalyst software that AMD has to enable crossfire, I used MSI Afterburner to run the overclock. And of course I just used the BIOS to run the CPU OC(which is super easy). Although the BIOS didn't seem very accurate when it came to heat monitoring, so Speedfan works way better.

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I have a massive GPU that made all the cabling quite difficult so I know where you were coming from. What is Dead Island? Sounds like it might be up my alley.

Dead Island is a zombie action/RPG. Look up the trailer, the graphics look amazing. I think it's supposed to come out in August. I'm hoping it'll be as good as I think it will.