You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glued CPU
11-29-2010, 08:18 PM,
Glued CPU
I am tearing apart an old pc build of mine from like 2001. The CPU is stuck like glue on the cooler. Is there a solvent or something to break it free? Just want to clean it all out and put it back together. It can run Diablo 2 and Starcraft like no ones business!
11-29-2010, 10:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-30-2010, 09:13 AM by quickm0ng00se.)
RE: Glued CPU
(11-29-2010, 08:18 PM)Perrywinkle Wrote: I am tearing apart an old pc build of mine from like 2001. The CPU is stuck like glue on the cooler. Is there a solvent or something to break it free? Just want to clean it all out and put it back together. It can run Diablo 2 and Starcraft like no ones business!

Hopefully someone else can chime in if I'm wrong on this, but I think Thermal compounds can be reconstituted with rubbing alcohol. I wouldnt soak the chip in it, but a q-tip dampened with it and rubbed along the edge might get enough in there to get it started.

QM

edited to add sig
System - It's Alive!!! Bwa-Haha!

CPU: AMD Phenom II 955BE (OC to come) Cooling: OEM CPU Cooler, 3x 120mm case fans (for now) Motherboard: ASROCK M3A770DE Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1333MHz Video Card: ASUS GTX 460 768MB Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB Case: Rosewill DESTROYER PSU: OCZ StealthXstream II 600W Audio: Integrated Keyboard: Black with letters and numbers Mouse: White with Buttons and a Wheel Cost: Including shipping after rebates, $547USD Excitement: Thinking about first soup to nuts build? Priceless!

12-01-2010, 04:44 PM,
RE: Glued CPU
You really can't go wrong with rubbing alcohol. It evaporates quickly and you can clean almost anything with it. While it is a very delicate microprocessor it should be fine. Just be careful, and start slowly.