You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Gaming Build
09-30-2016, 04:00 PM,
New Gaming Build
Hello,

I am about to attempt my second gaming PC build. My first was in 2011 using this awesome site as a guide, and I was very happy with it. But now, it's woefully inadequate, and I'm ready to dive back into gaming. I'll mostly be playing Crysis, Civ V (VI soon), but I want to try Witcher, Tomb Raider and some others I've heard about, in addition to other normal stuff; browsing, some light video editing, etc. At any rate, I'd like to have some pretty decent specs. Doesn't have to be the best, but pretty good for now. I started based on the Tier 5 choices and kind of evolved from there. I also want this unit to be as quiet as is reasonably possible, given what it is. And in spite of my love of LED's and such, I've decided not to do a flashy windowed PC. Just gonna keep it simple and clean. Although I've seen some real works of art on pcpartpicker. My budget is around $1,200.00 - 1,500.00, and I'm already at the top end with this list.

After doing a ton of reading and refining, here's what I've narrowed my choices down to for the time being:

CPU: Intel i5-6600k 3.5Ghz Quad core
(best bang for the buck?)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
(tough choice between Cryorig H7, R1, and Noctua NH-D15)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Gene mATX LGA 1151
(wi-fi included, lots of fan headers)
Memory: Corsair Vengence LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000
(low profile)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Sata III 3-D Vertical SSD
(possible later upgrade to M.2 when $ come down)
Video Card: ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX 8GB 256 bit GDDR5 PCI Express HDCP ready
(can't really afford the 1080 right now)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini Black Silent MATX Mini Tower
(toyed with the Nano, but wanted more room for airflow)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 80+ Gold Fully Modular
(60% of power draw should be at or under noise sweet spot)
Optical: Asus DRW-241ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

I will OC the CPU a bit, not too crazy (never done it before). I have other HD's that I can use in addition to the SSD, so storage won't be an issue.

Any suggestions would be helpful, or if you think it's OK the way it is, I'd like to hear that as well.