You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soundcard + Headphones
03-20-2011, 04:04 PM,
Soundcard + Headphones
So I just bought Logitech's X-540 Speaker set

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...ch%20x-540

and am trying to figure out a good soundcard to go with it, as well as a nice set of headphones that I could use. I'm not a hardcore gamer so I don't want to spend an incredible amount. I figure around $100 for each of them would be good.

I'd love to use my system for movies, music and gaming. So far, after a couple days of looking at reviews I think I've narrowed my soundcard down to Asus Xonar DX 7.1 and HT Omega Striker 7.1

Asus: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6829132006

HT: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6829271001

They seem to be some of the best cards in the $100 range, the only thing I'm not sure about is that I saw somewhere and looks like HT has a dedicated connection for headphones which makes it better? Does that sound right? I really know nothing about sound and have always just used the built in mobo soundcard, so I have no idea what I'm really talking about or looking for in each card. haha. I've just read a lot that a soundcard having a dedicated connection for headphones makes quite a bit of difference.

I also have an xbox360 and am planning on getting a ps3 soon, so getting a pair of headphones that are compatible with the pc, xbox, and ps3 would be awesome. That would just be a perk though. I don't really do online gaming with the consoles, so I don't NEED headphones for them, I just figure if I'm going to buy a $100 pair of headphones, being able to use them on my consoles would be nice too.

I do do some online gaming and am planning on doing a LOT more once a specific game finally comes out *cough star wars the old republic cough* haha. So having a mic would really be nice. I saw in some threads that you can get headphones and mics separate and then clip the mics on. Does that work as well as built in mics? If I do start getting into online gaming more, would it eventually just become a hassle? So far the only headphones I've found that look like something I'd like is Logitech's G35

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...tech%20g35

I've read that it can get pretty heavy after a while, which is definitely a concern because of the hours I know I'd spend playing games or watching movies straight. If you guys have any preferred soundcard/headphone combos you like I'd love to hear about them! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh and the motherboard that I'm using is an Asus P7P55D-E if that makes a difference.
03-20-2011, 04:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-20-2011, 04:51 PM by Andrew J.)
RE: Soundcard + Headphones
Why are you spending more on the sound card than the speakers themself? Since your motherboard uses VIA audio I recommend this which should be great for 5.1 surround sound systems. Spending so much money on a 7.1 card is silly in my opinion if you're not going to be using 7.1 speakers.

Furthermore the Logitech G35 uses a USB interface, meaning that the sound card won't effect it.

I've heard good things about the Corsair HS1A (uses analog, not USB) headset.
Your friendly forum administrator.
03-20-2011, 05:20 PM,
(03-20-2011, 04:50 PM)Andrew J Wrote: Why are you spending more on the sound card than the speakers themself? Since your motherboard uses VIA audio I recommend this which should be great for 5.1 surround sound systems. Spending so much money on a 7.1 card is silly in my opinion if you're not going to be using 7.1 speakers.

Furthermore the Logitech G35 uses a USB interface, meaning that the sound card won't effect it.

I've heard good things about the Corsair HS1A (uses analog, not USB) headset.

Crap! Yea I hate not knowing what I'm doing. Could've cost me quite a bit. Is there a big difference between analog and a headset that uses usb? Is the sound quality noticable?
03-20-2011, 05:45 PM,
Not really. Analog tends to be best when it comes to audio though.
03-20-2011, 07:18 PM,
(03-20-2011, 05:45 PM)Andrew J Wrote: Not really. Analog tends to be best when it comes to audio though.

K, I'm liking that corsair headset. It seems like a great product. And most of the reviews seem pretty positive. That's definitely moved to my number one spot. The xonar dg looks like a pretty good card too. Do you think it would be at all beneficial to spend the extra $20 and go with the xonar ds? Does 7.1 increase 5.1 quality at all? I'm just thinking along the lines of blueray vs dvd players. Even if you only have regular dvds, a blueray player will still increase the picture quality a bit. Does it not work that way with sound?
03-20-2011, 07:24 PM,
No 7.1 doesn't increase 5.1 quality, that's why I think it's silly to get a 7.1 sound card.

>Even if you only have regular dvds, a blueray player will still increase the picture quality a bit.

I find this extremely hard to believe. Source?
03-20-2011, 07:39 PM,
(03-20-2011, 07:24 PM)Andrew J Wrote: No 7.1 doesn't increase 5.1 quality, that's why I think it's silly to get a 7.1 sound card.

>Even if you only have regular dvds, a blueray player will still increase the picture quality a bit.

I find this extremely hard to believe. Source?

Well I don't mean it like changes dvds into blu rays or anything like that, I'm just talking about how blu ray players have "upscaling" capabilities which just allow you to watch dvds in 1080p for a better quality picture that you can't get with a regular dvd player. My thought process was just maybe 7.1 had some kind of extra capabilities that 5.1 doesn't that could possibly be utilized.
03-20-2011, 07:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-20-2011, 07:54 PM by Andrew J.)
I don't see what you mean, I can go full screen with my DVDs. At any rate it does not apply to sound.