You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade
08-24-2016, 07:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-24-2016, 08:55 PM by krazz760.)
RE: Upgrade
(08-24-2016, 08:18 AM)PwnBroker Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 10:51 PM)krazz760 Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 10:36 PM)PwnBroker Wrote: ok yes, if windows 10 is on the current machine then yes you can boot from the old hard drive. if you upgraded from windows 7 make sure you have downloaded the win 10 anniversary update before the board switch and an active microsoft account on that pc. if it asks for a product key just hit skip. if was an oem version i believe it still may work but i may be wrong, you may need to research that a bit. after it boots up it should find the drivers and update them.

here is a current article that kind of explains it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-to-u...-hardware/

Ok that makes sense. I'm hoping it's simple plug and play, if not, I'll just do a start over. I'd feel nice having it restart again. If I got more questions or if I get it done succesfully, I'll let you guys know either way lol. Tomorrow is the big day. Thanks again!

no prob good luck. yes please post if you run into problems, im curious to see if your original hdd reactivates if it is an oem upgrade. if it does, you wont need that extra copy of windows 10. either image your old drive to the new one and use the old drive as a data drive or vice versa.

Well, so far everything seems going well. Took out old mobo w/ CPU, and gtx card. Swapped with all new and hooked up my old HDD. Windows booted up fine. So far only probably was my computer froze during the install of Mobo driver cd, so I did button reset and updated drivers differently. Gonna try out some games. Later I'll be getting the new hard drive and that's when I'll probably start everything over. Use my old hard drive as a secondary or something, I still feel a slowness while on my PC so not sure if I'm impatient or what it is, I'm hoping my hard drive is used and abused lol.

Question. What to do with old motherboard and cpu? I still have them together with stock CPU fan. Can I take em off and just put them back into their boxes? I'm more curious about the cpu and the CPU fan. Do I have to clean off that gel stuff, totally cannot think of what that stuff is called wow
08-24-2016, 09:15 PM,
RE: Upgrade
yeah you can take the cpu off if you ar going to try to sell them or them together and sell as is as a combo. you can clean the TIM paste off the cpu with a denatured alchol pad like optics cleaner.

well you could do a clean install or clean up your current OS install with something like CCleaner after you get all of your new drivers and everything like you want and then use "macrium reflect" to copy that image over to your new hard drive. then after everything is tested after the image move then you can reformat it a s a data drive for music, photos, and junk you dont routinely access. that way your 2TB drive doesnt fill up and slow down. macrium reflection is free to use and it allows you to image on different size drives and you can select individual partitions to image.