You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade
08-23-2016, 12:29 AM,
Upgrade
Hello Hardware-Revolution!

So finally gonna upgrade my like 6-7 year old PC.
Going from i3-2120 gtx560 to i5-4590 and gtx960.

1. I can use my old DDR3 8GB 2x4 ram sticks on this new setup with MSI h81m-E34 correct?

2. I am also buying a new Hitachi 2tb harddrive and new Windows 10. How can I still use my old harddrive? Have the new one as 1st main bootup? Can I just delete Windows on the old Harddrive or do I even need to? It would just be cool to use both harddrives but if for some reason I couldn't, I don't mind just using the new one. My plan I think best is to run it with just the new harddrive and new Windows. then later plug back in the old harddrive and make sure its in correct boot order of new 1st, old 2nd, or even 3rd after cd drive?

3. I think my power supply is 550 if not more? That should be enough right, I forgot to take power into consideration this round lol.

I think those are my only questions for now, I'll be back if I got more lol. Thanks ahead of time!
08-23-2016, 01:45 AM,
RE: Upgrade
Hi,

sounds like a worthy upgrade.

1. Your memory will work. What speed is the memory? I

2. I'd do the hard drive and Win 10 last.

3. if it is a good 550W PSU, you should be fine. You'll need the PCIe power connector that matches the card. Some are single 8 pin. I think the GTX 960 gigabyte gaming is two six pin.

have you considered a GTX 1060?
for example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814137034
faster, better and uses less power for not much more money.

As far as the upgrade, I would do it a step at a time.
I'd first update the CPU. make sure it works and run some tests.
Then I'd install the graphics card. delete all the drivers first and reinstall fresh drivers once the card is in.

Once you've convinced yourself the hardware is working then I'd go for the Win 10 install.

Or, maybe I'm just Win10-o-phobic.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.7Ghz Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G HSF: Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Mem: 2 x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB + a few spinners
PSU: Seasonic SS-760XP Platinum Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Monitors: 2 x Dell 2007FP 1600x1200
08-23-2016, 05:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2016, 05:10 PM by PwnBroker.)
+1 on dan's comments. yes you can reuse your old drive, you can even boot from it on your old os or format it as a data drive your choice.

one thing i will mention is to make sure you have at least the H.1 bios release as it adds compatibility support for that refresh processor. without it it may not post. id probably go ahead and grab the H.5 and install it before chaning the cpu, as the additional releases also contain cpu comp micrcode and main board bug fixes as well.
08-23-2016, 07:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2016, 07:54 PM by krazz760.)
So I have a PC Power & Cooling 500w 80+ bronze power supply? Is that enough?? Ill figure out the harddrive situation when the new one comes in. So I can start downloading and installing the new products' software like motherboard and graphics card?

Lol, so my processor and graphics card came in the mail, just waiting on the Mobo which is coming tomorrow to hook it up. I really wanna throw in the graphics card for lulz but I guess i shall wait Sad
08-23-2016, 08:53 PM,
(08-23-2016, 07:41 PM)krazz760 Wrote: So I have a PC Power & Cooling 500w 80+ bronze power supply? Is that enough?? Ill figure out the harddrive situation when the new one comes in. So I can start downloading and installing the new products' software like motherboard and graphics card?

Lol, so my processor and graphics card came in the mail, just waiting on the Mobo which is coming tomorrow to hook it up. I really wanna throw in the graphics card for lulz but I guess i shall wait Sad

well since you are installing a new board forget what insaid about being able to boot off the old drive and installing current bios.(the new board should have it on there but to make sure you have a cooy download H.5 on a usb stick)

your basically going to have to do this just like a new build. the only thing you are going to have to have before you disassemble it is the windows 10 iso burned if you bought a retail key. if you bought a dvd or usb stick with it on it you are good to go.

even at 5 years, if that psu is on matb's list, it should handle the power ok. in my head your only going to pull 300w at most. you might want to run it thru the calculator though.

good luck
08-23-2016, 09:51 PM,
(08-23-2016, 08:53 PM)PwnBroker Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 07:41 PM)krazz760 Wrote: So I have a PC Power & Cooling 500w 80+ bronze power supply? Is that enough?? Ill figure out the harddrive situation when the new one comes in. So I can start downloading and installing the new products' software like motherboard and graphics card?

well since you are installing a new board forget what insaid about being able to boot off the old drive and installing current bios.(the new board should have it on there but to make sure you have a cooy download H.5 on a usb stick)

your basically going to have to do this just like a new build. the only thing you are going to have to have before you disassemble it is the windows 10 iso burned if you bought a retail key. if you bought a dvd or usb stick with it on it you are good to go.

even at 5 years, if that psu is on matb's list, it should handle the power ok. in my head your only going to pull 300w at most. you might want to run it thru the calculator though.

good luck

I simply can't disconnect my old mobo, processor, gtx card and just hook up all my new ones to my harddrive thats already in my PC? it has Windows 10 already on it? Let's forget about the new harddrive and new Windows 10 for a sec.
08-23-2016, 10:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2016, 10:48 PM by Dan-H.)
edit: I removed my questions. I'll let PwnBroker guide you on the software install as I'm confused Smile
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.7Ghz Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G HSF: Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Mem: 2 x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB + a few spinners
PSU: Seasonic SS-760XP Platinum Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Monitors: 2 x Dell 2007FP 1600x1200
08-23-2016, 10:36 PM,
ok yes, if windows 10 is on the current machine then yes you can boot from the old hard drive. if you upgraded from windows 7 make sure you have downloaded the win 10 anniversary update before the board switch and an active microsoft account on that pc. if it asks for a product key just hit skip. if was an oem version i believe it still may work but i may be wrong, you may need to research that a bit. after it boots up it should find the drivers and update them.

here is a current article that kind of explains it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-to-u...-hardware/
08-23-2016, 10:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2016, 10:52 PM by krazz760.)
(08-23-2016, 10:36 PM)PwnBroker Wrote: ok yes, if windows 10 is on the current machine then yes you can boot from the old hard drive. if you upgraded from windows 7 make sure you have downloaded the win 10 anniversary update before the board switch and an active microsoft account on that pc. if it asks for a product key just hit skip. if was an oem version i believe it still may work but i may be wrong, you may need to research that a bit. after it boots up it should find the drivers and update them.

Ok that makes sense. I'm hoping it's simple plug and play, if not, I'll just do a start over. I'd feel nice having it restart again. If I got more questions or if I get it done succesfully, I'll let you guys know either way lol. Tomorrow is the big day. Thanks again!
08-24-2016, 08:18 AM,
(08-23-2016, 10:51 PM)krazz760 Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 10:36 PM)PwnBroker Wrote: ok yes, if windows 10 is on the current machine then yes you can boot from the old hard drive. if you upgraded from windows 7 make sure you have downloaded the win 10 anniversary update before the board switch and an active microsoft account on that pc. if it asks for a product key just hit skip. if was an oem version i believe it still may work but i may be wrong, you may need to research that a bit. after it boots up it should find the drivers and update them.

Ok that makes sense. I'm hoping it's simple plug and play, if not, I'll just do a start over. I'd feel nice having it restart again. If I got more questions or if I get it done succesfully, I'll let you guys know either way lol. Tomorrow is the big day. Thanks again!

no prob good luck. yes please post if you run into problems, im curious to see if your original hdd reactivates if it is an oem upgrade. if it does, you wont need that extra copy of windows 10. either image your old drive to the new one and use the old drive as a data drive or vice versa.