You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ISOs, compression software locking down files from use
08-18-2016, 10:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2016, 10:18 AM by pedwards.)
ISOs, compression software locking down files from use
Yeah knew what you meant about not trusting the installer etc.

Just wondering why no one recommends the free options with Win7 at least that was called "Windows Virtual PC". Maybe because no one uses it?

The VMs I used through work were mostly VMware/VMsphere which ran Windows Server with a WinNT/XP look and feel.

Although the cloud based options look good they also look to be determinate, so as I'll start to use VMs more and more for untrusted origins, just wondering if there were free secure options that could run natively on the PC itself without having to resort to the cloud. Know that as a Linux user may not have a preferred option on Windows, but if you guys have suggestions, very interested. Wink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper
08-18-2016, 10:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2016, 12:53 PM by Dan-H.)
RE: ISOs, compression software locking down files from use
The cloud choices are all about simplicity. I don't have to download anything or config anything, just pick an image and "buy it". I don't use azure much because very little that I do really needs windows, but I need to test on Win10 and I don't really like running a heavy Win10 vm on my desktop so It's a decent option for that.

I used virtual box on XP as my poor-mans-vmware long before I had a Win7 system, and have stayed with it. And virtual box plays nice with vagrant.

So, I don't have anything against Virtual PC or Hyper-V, I've just not used them.

And virtual box is also no-cost.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.7Ghz Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G HSF: Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Mem: 2 x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB + a few spinners
PSU: Seasonic SS-760XP Platinum Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Monitors: 2 x Dell 2007FP 1600x1200
08-18-2016, 12:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2016, 12:46 PM by PwnBroker.)
RE: ISOs, compression software locking down files from use
+1 on what dan said on cloud simplicity.

i use virtual box on windows and linux. planning on building and experimenting with a home server and some type 1 hypervisors prolly Xen or vmsphere/ESXi both free.

everyhing is going to the cloud, our company has already started offering NFV for businesses and it wont be long home before gateways, routers, firewall etc will reside on the cloud.

hey JCD,not to change the subject, did you ever find the problem that was causing your machine to crash a while back?