You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SSHD & Multi-card media reader build questions
08-10-2016, 02:43 PM,
SSHD & Multi-card media reader build questions
So as a follow up to a previous thread, my dad is interested in getting an SSHD due to it existing as a single drive and auto sorting frequently used material to the SSD portion of the drive. I know most people (including myself) would opt to go for an SSD+HDD setup, but so that I can get the man what he wants, are there any suggestions that folks have for a solid/not-to-expensive SSHD? This is for a green-screen video render build, btw...

Also, I'm thinking that for the build I'm trying to put together for him it would be nice to have a multi-card media reader in one of the 5.25 bays. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good 5.25 bay media reader (possibly with a USB3 port, since the case I'll be using doesn't have any front USB3 ports) or a 3.5 with a 5.25 conversion bracket (the case has no dedicated 3.5 bays).

Thanks in advance! Big Grin
08-10-2016, 03:46 PM,
RE: SSHD & Multi-card media reader build questions
I put a 2TB SSHD into my sisters desktop. It was perfect for them for a non technical turn key solution.

I recall it was a seagate that MattB had on his recommended list. http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-...-may-2016/

The downside is the SSD portion is only 8GB.

How large are the videos? If large, then the SSHD might not improve the performance.

I don't have any suggestions for a multi-card reader. I have a USB to SD/microSD adapter that gets used when I need SD or microSD cards.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.7Ghz Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G HSF: Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Mem: 2 x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB + a few spinners
PSU: Seasonic SS-760XP Platinum Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Monitors: 2 x Dell 2007FP 1600x1200
08-10-2016, 06:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-10-2016, 07:08 PM by fillasophy.)
I had missed that there were SSHD in that article, so thanks!
And no worries about the card reader...that's an easy upgrade in the future and not a big deal right now, I was just thinking about what might be nice to have at some point Smile

The videos apparently aren't all that big (only a few minutes long?), but it turns out that what my dad had wanted was NOT an SSHD, but rather an SSD+HDD in hybrid mode using a PCI sata controller + cable. I gather that this bottlenecks speeds a bit due to the extra hardware, but it might be nice for if he wants to expand his HDD storage in the future while preserving the SDD. I'll have to look into it more...
08-10-2016, 11:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-10-2016, 11:48 PM by PwnBroker.)
as dan said in his post seagate is about the only manf of ssdhd. their ssd caches has been increased on the newer drives. but i do not know if it would be worh it with a lot of random reads/writes as in video production.

as for the setup you mentioned, id make sure that it will be compatible with whatever OS you choose. i think the hyperduo "tiered storage" setup is only compatible in win7,8 but not win 10. some have claimed to get tiered storage to work using hidden powershell commands as there is no gui for it but there is for the virtual mass storage utility included in win 10 so dont get the 2 confused.

myself, i am starting to replace some of my hdd's with the 960GB pny's cs1311(onsale for a little over 200 bucks), but definately not for everyone. i cant wait for the day you can get a 1TB/960GB ssd for 99.99, lol.

i left some recommendations for the card reader and blu ray on the other thread.