You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CPUs compatible with "PowerDirector"
08-09-2016, 05:01 AM,
CPUs compatible with "PowerDirector"
My dad asked me to help him build a laptop that he can use to render using a program called PowerDirector. I gave him a super basic PC rig a few years back (the rest of his house is Macs.... Dodgy ), and I also have a few spare parts from a different rig I scavenged a while back to upgrade my main rig. The thing that's bugging me is that the program's spec suggestion for the CPU says:

"PowerDirector is optimized for CPUs with MMX/SSE/SSE2/3DNow!/3DNow! Extension/HyperThreading/ Intel AVX2 technology"

Um...so if I'm not mistaken, don't most modern CPU's do at least one (or all) of these? Specifically, the basic rig has a Intel G530 2.4 GHZ dual core CPU, and the alternate CPU I have is an AMD A6-5400K 3.6 GHZ dual core APU (there's a mobo for each) - so will one or both of these satisfy that requirement?

In addition, after upgrading my main rig I have a spare ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB lying around, but I'm worried the 450W PSU that was in the original rig might burn up if I add in the GPU...

Any thoughts, insights, suggestions, or pointers you can give me would be great!

Thanks!
08-09-2016, 01:48 PM,
RE: CPUs compatible with "PowerDirector"
PS - the software-suggested-reqs mention a preference for OpenCL compatibility, but after a little digging the GPU mentioned is apparently OpenGL. Will that be an issue? I doubt this will be for super hardcore rendering....
08-09-2016, 02:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-09-2016, 02:42 PM by PwnBroker.)
the 6850 is both opengl and opencl compatible. ive read it can be used quite effectively with powerdirector. the trick is to enable it by downloading the older catalyst drivers and the app sdk. the apu could be used without the 6850 but its not gcn so it wouldnt improve much on acceleration. i would use the amd apu with the 6850 and it would probably be a descent combo.

as for the 450w psu if its not too old and is a descent brand it should be fine.

and yes the amd apu has those extensions, the avx is 1.1 and i would think that it wouldnt matter much.
08-10-2016, 02:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-10-2016, 02:52 PM by fillasophy.)
Thanks!!! I'm gonna have to figure out the drivers and figure out a way for my dad/windows to not update them, but sounds like I should be good with only a couple of minor upgrades to buy. For the PSU, I actually have the current tier4 gaming suggestion 450W (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004...UTF8&psc=1). Since that tier 4 build looks a bit more power intensive than what this will be using, I'm thinking it'll work out well Smile

This would be the build as it currently stands:
case: Antec Three Hundred
mobo: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1866 **
cpu: AMD A6-5400K
gpu: GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6850 1GB
psu: Antec VP-450
Media: DVD-RW drive ***
storage: TBD *

*I have a couple of HDD lying around or in the old build, all previous suggestions from H-R, but my dad wants to get an SSD to improve speed/performance. In particular, he likes the single-drive format/ease of use of a SSHD. I know most people would say just go SSD+HDD, but do you (or anybody else Big Grin ) have any suggestions for an SSHD? I'll repost this as a separate question so more people see it...

**I'm probably going to get another 2x2 GB set to bring the machine up to 8 GB total, since the mobo has space for 2 more RAM sticks.

*** I'll probably upgrade the 5.25 bays to have a Blu-Ray RW drive and a multi-card media reader as well. Do you have any suggestions for those, too?

Side note/OS: I think I built that other computer with an OEM version of windows, so I'm probably gonna have to buy a new OS for the system. It looks like a retail home version of win10 is only about $25 more than an OEM at the moment, which sounds worth it to not have to deal with the hassle when upgrading parts in the future...that or I think I have a retail of 7 hiding somewhere...

Again, thanks a ton!! Smile
08-10-2016, 11:10 PM,
i was reading your other post and if your dad is just converting short video clips then the gpu acceleration by using the igpu in the a6 may be enough to do the job without having to use the 6850. it would def cut down on heat and noise. you may have a valid concern with win10 auto updating the drivers(and there is another concern with win 10 and your storage plan but i will address that in the other thread.

for the media reader you might look at this one as it has a usb 3.0 mb header connection and a windows 10 driver package on the rosewill site. it may have some bad reviews but i have never had a problem with those rosewill readers.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnu...6820223120

there is a 3.5 in drive for half that price but only has one 3.0 connector.

for the bluray drives ive always used asus or pioneer. LG are less expensive but ive had a couple of failure returns on those.