You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Supply Failure
06-25-2016, 09:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-25-2016, 09:16 PM by PwnBroker.)
RE: Power Supply Failure
(06-25-2016, 03:36 PM)pedwards Wrote: Quite frankly I had no idea about PSU cabling either. Wow. That's really a kick in the sensitive parts there but a good lessons learned. Sorry you had to learn this way Andycruce but ur not alone. And don't beat urself PwnBroker, tough to say everything in a post and 1/2 the time everyone had tinkered with 5 other solutions before they respond.

Only question I have however is if the motherboard pin out is standardized, and all the cables with modular PSU can be plugged in bidirectionally (my meaning being which end is plugged into where doesn't matter)... how could they hork up the standardization?

We only talking the power to peripheral devices then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes the ATX cabling to the motherboard is standardized, BUT THE problem is the internal wiring to the psu modular plug and the pinout to the modular end of the device cables. what happens is that where one manufacturer may have a disconnected pin, but may be used in another supply. then what you may have is a 12v line transposed to a device ground. usually when it happens itll take out the hdd motor or the cd/dvd motor. thermaltake and xfx is bad about flipping those as compared to other makers. it looks right, it fits but the only way to tell is to continuity test with a meter from the modular end to the device end of the cable.
06-27-2016, 09:14 PM,
PwnBroker:

Thank you very much for the help. Now of new HDD and CD drives installed - this time with the proper cabling so they don't blow up. Everything seems to be working properly. Only remaining issue is to bring some financial information up to date. That might be tedious but not overly difficult. I really want to thank you again for the help. If you hadn't said anything I'd still be blowing up disk drives and pulling my hair out.
06-28-2016, 01:15 PM,
no problem glad to help out. sorry about the drives and hoping for smooth sailing for ya here on out.