You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Supply Failure
06-19-2016, 06:58 AM,
Power Supply Failure
I have a Corsair HX850 power supply in a computer I built last summer. I came down today and the power supply doesn't seem to power up. Checked the 120v input and it's OK. Find it hard to believe that the power supply died but can't think of anything else. Any suggesting of what might be wrong other than a dead supply? Like to make sure it's the power supply before I order a second one and go the trouble or reinstalling all the cables.

Thanks for any inputs,

Andy Cruce
06-19-2016, 09:51 AM,
RE: Power Supply Failure
instead of typing all of the steps here is a pretty good article on troubleshooting supplies:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/trou...-supplies/

scroll down to dead supply testing. basically you are testing standby voltage and checking for faulty components. if all of these tests fail then you can isolate it to the MB by doing a paperclip test to see if the supply will power up:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=co2RizQ8U2k

hopefully it will just be a case power on switch.

good luck
06-21-2016, 09:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-21-2016, 09:22 PM by andycruce.)
(06-19-2016, 09:51 AM)PwnBroker Wrote: instead of typing all of the steps here is a pretty good article on troubleshooting supplies:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/trou...-supplies/

scroll down to dead supply testing. basically you are testing standby voltage and checking for faulty components. if all of these tests fail then you can isolate it to the MB by doing a paperclip test to see if the supply will power up:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=co2RizQ8U2k

hopefully it will just be a case power on switch.

good luck

On the original supply I tried the paperclip test and the supply didn't come on so I figured I must have had infant mortality on my existing supply. I ordered a second supply. The first was a Corsair HX850. The one I ordered is a EVA3 1000 watt P2 supply. I installed it this afternoon and when I connected power and powered up the computer everything was fine. Left it on for only about 5 minutes and then turned it off (selected power off from the menu). As far as I could tell it powered down properly. Came back later and it wouldn't power up. Opened up the computer and looked for 5v dc between pins 7 and 9 on the motherboard connector. No voltage there. Can't think of anything I did that could have fried the power supply! Have checked the input voltage on the power cable and it is 120 volts. Do you have any other suggestions? Can't figure out what might be causing the issue.

Thanks for any help,

Andy Cruce

After writing the message above I plugged in the old power supply and measured the voltage between pins 7 and 9 and got zero. Can't believe I've fried two power supplies although the second also shows 0v between pins 7 and 9. Nothing has changed on the hardware and when the second supply was installed the computer ran perfectly - no indication of any errors. HELP!
06-22-2016, 03:31 PM,
make sure you have at least a hard drive connected to the psu when doing tests as it requires a load to supply voltage.

you need to test the power button and make sure it is not loose on the connector on the MB. next unplug psu and then unplug the connector at the power button. set dmm to low ohms and put leads on power button pins. you should read open and when button is pressed it should read 0 ohms.

if that is good, unplug everything except one hard drive connection. do the power on paper clip test and see if you can hear the hard drive turn on. post back with the results.
06-22-2016, 07:40 PM,
Not sure what happened but I got the power supply working properly. I've been using it for this afternoon, tuning it on and off and it seems solid. However, after installing the new supply my HDD isn't being recognized by the system. I've checked the SATA and power connectors and they seem fine. I think I can feel the drive running when I power up but am not completely sure. Have ordered a USB to SATA interface so I can check the drive outside the system. Any other suggestions? Hope it's not the drive as I have a lot of information on it.

Thanks for any help,

Andy Cruce
06-23-2016, 07:32 AM,
RE: Power Supply Failure - Continued
It's not just one drive it's two of three that aren't being detected. I went into the BIOS and the only drive this is being recognized is the SSD. The HDD and the CD drive aren't listed as recognized in the BIOS. Can't believe that the power supply failure took out both disks or that it clobbered the SATA interface on the MB. Will try the USB to SATA interface on the HDD when I get it but don't have any other ideas.

Any other suggestions?
06-24-2016, 09:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-24-2016, 09:15 AM by PwnBroker.)
uh oh. i just looked at your old psu specs and it is listed as a modular supply. the new one you replaced it with, does it also have modular cables? if so did you use the new cables that came with the new supply or did you leave the old cables plugged into your devices and re use them on the new supply? if you did then you may have burned the drives that are not being recognized. the reason is that modular cables are not standardized and can have different pinout configs from manufacturer to manufacturer. for example one wire from one psu may be 12v to a connector but another psu may use that same pin connector as a ground. so if you dont swap the cables, you can put 12v to where a ground or low voltage should go into a device.

if you are sure that you did not do the above and have verified your cabling, then first try different sata ports if you think that the drives are spinning up. if still unrecognized then see if there is a setting in bios to "turn on" those ports. if that doesnt work you might try to reset cmos to default. if you can get into your OS, see if it is recognizing those drives or the sata ports. you may have to find and reload the sata drivers.

bios recognizes drives based on drive firmware at spinup and the sata port drivers. if you have one drive that is working you can test the sata ports by moving that drive from port to port to make sure it is getting recognized in bios. if it is then you have pretty much proved the sata interface is good. that only leaves the drives themselves or a cabling issue.
06-24-2016, 09:25 PM,
Didn't realize that there was no standardization on the modular power supplies and I think I did what you suggested - burned out the motor. Bad deal. I connected the drive up to a usb to sata interface and the drive didn't turn on. Stupid of me to think that if the connectors to the PS were the same that they were interchangeable! Is there any way to get the motor repaired. I'd like the data off the drive if possible - it would save me some time since it's been about a month since I have backed up that drive. I guess that the SSD is OK since it didn't have a motor but should replace the SATA cable.

Wish I had talked to you before I replace the PS.

Andy Cruce
06-25-2016, 10:42 AM,
yeah thats a bummer, i thought you knew not to interchange those cable from your original post. now i feel bad. BUT, if the modular connector wiring is the same then that drive may have been dead to begin with and keeping the original from turning on until it burned out. make sure to install the cables that came with the new supply if you havent already.

as far as replacing the drive motor(if that is the probelem), unless you have access to a clean room and the tools to keep the platters aligned then prolly not. if its the controller pcb, then you can replace it because it should be on the back side of the drive oppossite the platter enclosure, if you can get the part. if i were you id probably just buy a new drive and load your last backup image and go from there. there are data recovery shops but they are expensive but you might contact the manufacturer and they may be able to repair it for you and save the data.
06-25-2016, 03:36 PM,
Power Supply Failure
Quite frankly I had no idea about PSU cabling either. Wow. That's really a kick in the sensitive parts there but a good lessons learned. Sorry you had to learn this way Andycruce but ur not alone. And don't beat urself PwnBroker, tough to say everything in a post and 1/2 the time everyone had tinkered with 5 other solutions before they respond.

Only question I have however is if the motherboard pin out is standardized, and all the cables with modular PSU can be plugged in bidirectionally (my meaning being which end is plugged into where doesn't matter)... how could they hork up the standardization?

We only talking the power to peripheral devices then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper