You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Budget laptop that can run Solidworks
04-13-2016, 10:44 AM,
Can anyone suggest a budget laptop that can run solidworks moderately well? I'd like to spend less than 800, but I could go up to 1000 if absolutely necessary. I'd also prefer a smaller laptop if possible, but I could handle a 15" if needed. Thanks for the advice!
04-13-2016, 08:20 PM,
RE: Budget laptop that can run Solidworks
I really don't know much about current versions of SolidWorks to help you.

One thing they have is a benchmark page and you can see what some of the others there are running. Select Laptop, sort "descending" by one of the benchmarks and you'll see the top systems.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/shareyourscore.htm

It looks like folks are running lots of different kinds of systems.

I wish I could help more.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.7Ghz Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G HSF: Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Mem: 2 x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB + a few spinners
PSU: Seasonic SS-760XP Platinum Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Monitors: 2 x Dell 2007FP 1600x1200
04-14-2016, 01:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-14-2016, 01:52 AM by pedwards.)
Had no idea either about that benchmark either as I'm not a CAD or rendering user.

Found an article that could maybe help. If you can explain which types of uses you plan to have, we can perhaps map something in the 800-1000 dollar range with the specs that match. Like finding a high IPC over cores depending if you do assembly, sim, or modeling, etc. (or everything!)

http://www.computeraideddesignguide.com/...olidworks/

Do have a particular focus? Then using a guide such as this it would at least help with the components that match best then we can cross reference the table that Dan-H provided.

EDIT: although the article dates from July last year the Lenovo ThinkPad W550s which today is roughly replaced by the P50s has a starting price of $1119 but has an instant reduction that takes it down to around $1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper
04-14-2016, 11:02 AM,
for 1000 bucks, id look at a dell precision 15 3510 and compare it with some non-pro mentioned. the thing about the precision series are 4 core processors and amd firepro or nvidia quadro gpu's, a real plus if you use it for work.

good luck
04-14-2016, 04:54 PM,
Hi guys, thanks for the advice. I was in a bit of a time crunch, so I ended up ordering the ASUS K501UX. I'm doing some very basic modeling, at this point in time, so I think it will handle it well enough. I had a lot of trouble finding any 13" laptops with decent processors and/or discrete graphics cards for a decent price (most had integrated graphics of some sort).

I was very tempted by the Dell Inspiron i7559-763BLK, it has superior components all around, and it has better ram upgrade potential, but it's 1.25 pounds heavier, which seems ridiculous since I'm not really looking for a desktop replacement.

From that solidworks benchmark list, I think I'll do alright. Thanks for the replies.