You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying a Laptop
05-12-2016, 03:11 PM,
RE: Buying a Laptop
Yup, we used that series for a while. I had a few fail after 4-years, but I also beat the crap out of them. One was hit by an malfunctioning drone. Long story...

Anyway, the XPS is beautiful. The build quality, brushed aluminum, size/weight, are perfect. The screen itself is the best feature, even though I opted for the "only-HD" version. The bezel is almost invisible, the IPS + viewing angle means you don't have to tilt everything "just right" to see things, and the contrast/color balance are spot on.

Performance wise, the 2GB 960M does OK at 1080p. You're not going to max out any cutting edge games, but you can come pretty close. The PCIe SSD and DDR4 are a beauty to behold. Gives the 850 EVO in my desktop a run for it's money. I can't believe I ever put up with "waiting for stuff".

The only cons are the keyboard, which is a bit cramped for my tastes. I guess is the price you pay for a compact laptop. That and the battery life while gaming doesn't seem to be more than an hour or so, while regular internet/streaming use is probably closer to 5 or 6. I could probably lower some settings and brightness to counter that.

Altogether, love the screen, love the performance, happy with my purchase.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround