You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Next Gen Upgrade - pulling the trigger
04-11-2016, 01:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-11-2016, 01:53 AM by pedwards.)
(04-10-2016, 05:09 PM)PwnBroker Wrote: by the x16 pcie layout that they list in the specs then the sli 980ti's will need to be slotted in slots 1 and 3. you can use slot 2 for another pcie device at x4 speed which is tied to the pch/dmi. if you place a pcie device in slot 4 then it will take x4 lanes from slot 3 which will make your sli inoperable.(nvidia does not allow sli at x4). sorry for not being clear. i know this is confusing from the above block diagram.

for the backplate i would put it in slot 1 if there is enough room, as it might help shield it from VRM heat. there was one customer review that said he could not slot an r9 390 because the slot was too far forward but this may not apply in your case and probably wont know until you get the board.

the seagate comments in the article was probably from seagates problems a couple of years ago but they seemed to have fixed their quality issues.

good luck

It's no worries at all, it wasn't confusing except if you were talking in general or that board specifically. Since I haven't received it to begin tinkering, I didn't pay as much attention as I have trying to figure out the myriad of ssd options. Also this whole pch/dmi option was a pleasant surprise with the extra lanes and certainly not familiar with it yet.

Yup knew that SLI was limited to 8x, but given that the 980ti's have almost saturated it at 8 lanes who would invest in that many cards anyway with a 4x constraint? Have you read up on the AMD cards why they can handle the 4x? I know that with the HBM, they have much higher GB/s, so I thought that would need they need more bandwidth or do they use something else to accommodate that speed? Just curious.

Maybe I shouldn't mention this as I'm ashamed to admit it but I was a dual EE/CS major back in the day, but have been so long out of the engineering world I turn to this stuff to excite my brain again (marketing does that to u). Probably doesn't seem like it but give me a month or two and I'll hopefully be a bit more dangerous technically. Wink

Thanks as well for the backplate comment. It seems common sense to put it on top outside of just testing the cards individually in general. Also I hope the mobo comes with the extended SLI cable which it should given the config. I think I saw that as included in the box. Even then it's always a matter of what's actually in the box when I get it.

HDD: so you'd buy Seagate over WD at the 3-4TB range?

So any thoughts on the case options given the d15?
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper
04-11-2016, 01:55 PM,
RE: Next Gen Upgrade - pulling the trigger
amd just allows x4 slots in xfire even though it sux to do so.

to be honest ive used more WD blue/blacks in builds than anything due to vendor pricing and longer warranty. but ive used some seagates when budget was a concern. ive had maybe 2 hdd failures that i can remember and both were repairable by writing all zeros across the drive. im not a brand ho and it is what it is.

cases are a matter of taste and function which there is usually a compromise between the two. with your proposed setup i would look at cooling and cable management as top priority. the d15 is a big cooler and you want to make sure there are enough front fans to pull in enough cool aire to feed it so you dont have dead air anywhere in the case. also with the d15 you have to watch the space between it and the first pcie slot, it may be a tight fit. thats one of the reasons they released the d15s wih curved heat pipes for more clearance over the pcie slot so keep that in mind as well.

nzxt makes some nice cases, fractal, ive used some coolermaster HAF series cases that were really nice. matb has some case options on his latest build list too.

good luck
04-11-2016, 03:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-11-2016, 03:59 PM by pedwards.)
Well I just did a quick check on my availability where I live. Made picking a case much easier, as there was not much choice. Smile

I also checked out the Fractal R5 and they are supposedly a medium tower, which I didn't realize, and the CPU cooler max height is 180mm versus the 184mm of the CM Storm Stryker/Trooper. I thought it would be wider given the look, but seems almost identical. Shame, I was really expecting it to be wider for the NH-D15.

I did check the compatibility matrix with the D15 with the ASR Mobo as well, and it was marked green, so I think although it may be tight, should be good.

So given that I did indeed like my Storm Trooper, it has an ever so slightly wider space for the cooler + RAM fins, and that hot swappable drive is too tough to give up - went with the Storm Stryker this time. So white versus black. Yes, maybe a cop-out... but happy with the old case and given the limited options I have here... going to stick with what I am familiar with (although the Storm Stryker seems to not have the eSata port - don't know why). I guess I was just a bit surprised that the case was a large format instead of a medium.

Appreciate the pointers.

Then I decided to order the HGST 3.5" HDD 4TB 7600 RPM as all the WD Blacks seemed to be out of stock here. Heard good things about them, and since WD owns them anyway should be good. Maybe it's quieter than the WD Blacks to Dan-H's point.

Finally I did pick up the M.2 950 Pro NVMe 512GB SSD and will give it a whirl. I decided against doing RAID 0 as I think the benefits are already going to be more than apparent.

So everything should arrive by the end of the week. Finger's crossed as I think that's about it.

EDIT: BTW - I got the Acer Predator X34 today. That son of a pup is absolutely HUGE - well the box at least! Will take some picks tomorrow. Even my wife is excited for me to unbox it. That never happens with my "projects."
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper
04-11-2016, 04:49 PM,
way cool dude, good choices all the way around. lets us know how the monitor looks when everything is up and running. when you unpack it, check for little pieces of packing material and check for dead pixels. those were the 2 biggest complaints as far as customer reviews. shouldnt be a biggy and hopefully they tightned down on the QA dept at acer.

good luck on the build and crossing fingers for zero problems
04-11-2016, 10:23 PM,
Nice. That's a slick looking case. can't wait to see boot times with that SSD.

I"m also interested in how quiet the HDD is.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.7Ghz Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G HSF: Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Mem: 2 x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB + a few spinners
PSU: Seasonic SS-760XP Platinum Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Monitors: 2 x Dell 2007FP 1600x1200
04-15-2016, 10:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-15-2016, 12:32 PM by pedwards.)
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice help thus far. Will give you a status update.

Here's a snapshot of what I had beginning of the week, minus the SSDs, HDDs, DVD.
[Image: IMG_1320_zpsdn9s5cx6.jpg]

Also to give reference more to the depth, breadth of the monitor:
[Image: FullSizeRender_zpsyix6n54t.jpg]

So quite excited about the monitor as that's what I could first play with, so I hooked it up to my 2600K build to test with. Note that my 7970 didn't have a DP, so I used the HDMI instead. This means I haven't played with the OC possibility yet given the HDMI is 1.4 - limited to 60Hz.

It is a monster for sure.
[Image: 3b51c99c-1857-405b-85ca-70f8d4c7c8c7_zpsp14dnmdj.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1339_zpsblkik0rq.jpg]

Unfortunately the QC issues seems to remain because of the mfg date of Nov 2015 which is before the firmware updates, and general fixes were applied.
[Image: FullSizeRender%202_zpszwhgm7ce.jpg]

So although using an iPhone isn't entirely scientific, and exhaggerates the backlight bleed, you can see that it has some rough edges.
[Image: IMG_1330_zpsysifbpnj.jpg]

However if I put my head closer to the screen on the lower left, it seems the backlight bleed seems to dissappear slightly (not entirely) - so I'm almost thinking it is also how the LEDs are oriented in the screen.

To give a different perspective, I took another photo taken from a bit further back it looks like thus:
[Image: IMG_1333_zpsd1ifnzsa.jpg]
It clearly is a design issue as my head is normally 2-2.5 ft from the monitor, and the 2nd photo was like from 4-5 ft away.

For a game with many dark screens, I tried Resident Evil Revelations 2, and in the dark screens this back light bleed was a bit much.

It also suffers from not waking from it's power saving mode. EDIT: Added bonus - it's now starting to flicker as well.

I'm not going to wait for the rest of my build to be complete, so I'm exchanging it now. I already contacted the company that sold it to me, they have great service here, so will play the lottery again and hope to get either get a better build quality and hope that the Nov build stock has been dried up and they have more recent manufactured stock.

Meanwhile the build is going well, and still testing so not overloading you with photos here yet.
[Image: IMG_1342_zpsphmlxcgb.jpg]

With the D15 and the CM Storm Stryker (Edit: not forgetting the finned g.skill rampage Vs) the clearance is just enough with literally a few mm to spare.
[Image: IMG_1343_zps4nbxewi5.jpg]

I have these odd events with the boot sequence however.
  • First time turning on the PSU switch - the Mobo turns on for a second, then turns off, then turns back on. Not sure if that has to do with the capacitance of the PSU having to charge, but only happens the first time I need to plug it in, and when the PSU was unplugged from the wall. This is only with the CPU, RAM, + boot SSD in.
  • After the splash screen, seems I get a black screen cursor in windows 10 for about 5-6 seconds. As I never had Win 10, not sure if the install wasn't optimal, its searching for something, or a symptom of the boot sequence (UEFI setting?). After the windows logo boots however, you can tell the NVMe SSD is at work here. 2-3 seconds after that.

Currently investigating what I can on both, but perhaps humorously both appear to be only issues if they don't boot. Meaning I can only find turning on then off - and staying off for the first power cycle. Likewise for Win 10... people boot into that cursor but never get into windows, which is not my situation.

So right now running off the iGPU doing some Win 10 memory tests just to kick the tires as I have not connected it to the internet nor installed the MoBo drivers yet (whoopsie, I ordered the DVD drive 2 days ago - coming in today).

If you have any suggestions - open to it. Meanwhile the tinkering continues.

Cheers.
04-15-2016, 04:59 PM,
sorry about the monitor looks good at any rate.

now i know why the came out with a d15s, from the angle of the pic it appears to cover the first pcie slot? may just be the angle though.

nice pics good luck with the rest of the build.
04-15-2016, 10:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-15-2016, 10:05 PM by Dan-H.)
Looks good. sorry about the monitor. good call returning it.

I'm curious, How are all those fans setup? How many in, how many out?

Is the top fan an intake or an exhaust?

If it is an exhaust, it might pull hot air from the Graphics cards up to the CPU.

If it is intake it might be good to add to the positive flow.

note the word "might".

Whatever you do, experiment with tests once it is all in and see what runs coolest.

I think I' would first try extra intake fans, and then once both those bad-boy 980ti's are in, remove the extra PCI blank slots so there is extra exhaust paths out the back.

You might also consider adding another intake on the bottom of the case. You mentioned it is on the floor, and the cool floor is a great source of cool air into the case.

I'm also curious what fan control the ASRock board has.

The Gigabyte fan control software for my Z97X sucks. I went with SpeedFan which is tedious to setup, however now that it is I'm glad I spent the time fiddling with it.

Can't wait to see it done.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.7Ghz Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G HSF: Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Mem: 2 x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB + a few spinners
PSU: Seasonic SS-760XP Platinum Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Monitors: 2 x Dell 2007FP 1600x1200
04-16-2016, 10:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-16-2016, 10:40 AM by PwnBroker.)
switching psu's dont need to charge, they supply power on demand so to speak. check the voltage input switch and make sure its set to european power and not US power(if you are in EUROPE). other than than that it might be resetting because of a component its not seeing or something that is out of spec.n strange it only does it when unplugged from the wall. after you get all of the components and it still does the reset, id probably call EVGA tech support.

like danh said you can try different fan configs to see which will cool the best. i usually set the top 2 as exhaust(heat travels from bottom to top and from warmer to cooler areas). those 2 rotatable front fans i would set as intake from the front. you can use a bottom fan but i would use a fan half the size or half the speed as the front to keep it front interfering with the front fans(kinda like a wall of insulating air pressure). ive always liked a side vga(if it will fit) fan as opposed to bottom fans after seeing how well they cool the gpu's and vrm's on thermal imaging pics.

good luck
04-16-2016, 12:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-16-2016, 12:18 PM by pedwards.)
(04-15-2016, 04:59 PM)PwnBroker Wrote: sorry about the monitor looks good at any rate.

now i know why the came out with a d15s, from the angle of the pic it appears to cover the first pcie slot? may just be the angle though.

nice pics good luck with the rest of the build.

Yes, it covers the first mini-PCIe slot (circled in red), but not the PCIe 3.0 slot - check out the photo showing the tolerances for ya.
[Image: e804dd98-4722-49c2-980a-882a2eb7aa35_zps8fxpx1nl.jpg]

(04-15-2016, 10:03 PM)Dan-H Wrote: Looks good. sorry about the monitor. good call returning it.

I'm curious, How are all those fans setup? How many in, how many out?

Is the top fan an intake or an exhaust?

If it is an exhaust, it might pull hot air from the Graphics cards up to the CPU.

If it is intake it might be good to add to the positive flow.

note the word "might".

Whatever you do, experiment with tests once it is all in and see what runs coolest.

I think I' would first try extra intake fans, and then once both those bad-boy 980ti's are in, remove the extra PCI blank slots so there is extra exhaust paths out the back.

You might also consider adding another intake on the bottom of the case. You mentioned it is on the floor, and the cool floor is a great source of cool air into the case.

I'm also curious what fan control the ASRock board has.

The Gigabyte fan control software for my Z97X sucks. I went with SpeedFan which is tedious to setup, however now that it is I'm glad I spent the time fiddling with it.

Can't wait to see it done.

Well fan control I use the front fan controller on the CM Storm Trooper alot from my prior build. Honestly when I get that far, will see what fan control software ASR has, but my guess is not much. Will most likely go with speedfan. Smile

Since you asked current questions on flow, heres a few views - the case comes with 4 fans by default - 3 140mm fans and with the 200mm fan at the top.

Front 140mm with bottom fan pulling air in, although I could configure both to pull in from the front. I decided to do something different this time with this build so I could swap in/out SATA drives without pulling the whole case apart.

[Image: e48dd2f4-5bbf-4d8a-8358-68016c4f5cf8_zpsmkq4hkfq.jpg]

Taken from back side of front panel.

[Image: e821de01-e3ec-486e-9650-14f5982cb126_zpszrpelgh6.jpg]

Inside flow - to your point the 200mm fan is pulling up. With the 980ti's in there, agreed there may be some cross-flow. I'm hoping the GPUs themselves will push enough airflow out of the case itself to create a pressure. Will test of course.

[Image: a1235472-41d1-473e-b7bf-69110ab65fe1_zpsdsoip735.jpg]

(04-16-2016, 10:39 AM)PwnBroker Wrote: like danh said you can try different fan configs to see which will cool the best. i usually set the top 2 as exhaust(heat travels from bottom to top and from warmer to cooler areas). those 2 rotatable front fans i would set as intake from the front. you can use a bottom fan but i would use a fan half the size or half the speed as the front to keep it front interfering with the front fans(kinda like a wall of insulating air pressure). ive always liked a side vga(if it will fit) fan as opposed to bottom fans after seeing how well they cool the gpu's and vrm's on thermal imaging pics.

Hmm... never heard of a side vga before. Will check into those too. Cool.

But yeah, will probably turn the second front fan to be a full intake fan as well. Not sure why it always comes default in the side positioning.

(04-16-2016, 10:39 AM)PwnBroker Wrote: switching psu's dont need to charge, they supply power on demand so to speak. check the voltage input switch and make sure its set to european power and not US power(if you are in EUROPE). other than than that it might be resetting because of a component its not seeing or something that is out of spec.n strange it only does it when unplugged from the wall. after you get all of the components and it still does the reset, id probably call EVGA tech support.

Well actually I did a timing test and my boot time was like 36 seconds.

As you can guess there is no way I should be having that issue. So there's definitely something afoot. I got rid of the cursor issue. Realized I tried to create an over provisioning partition using Win 10, and instead it created 2 "system reserved" partitions instead of one. Also something about "Compatability Support Module" (CSM) that I needed to turn off when I installed Win 10.

However after paying attention to the mobo, I think my bigger problem is my CPU is badly seated. I get a Dr. Debug of 00 for about 0.5 second, when on my 2600K build don't even see it. Also discovered a new feature called "Post Status Checker" (PSC) which has 4 LEDs on the front. Needless to say it was lit up for various amounts of time during the boot. It runs Dr. Debug codes for about 22 of those 36 seconds (vs. 9 seconds on my 2600K build). I'm REALLY hoping that I didn't mash pins badly or something, especially since I got the 6700K in the US. Only thing is as far as building, pulling apart the cpu and repasting is my least favorite. Ugh.

I wish I could just see what the Dr. Debug & PSC status indicators would look like on a "good" build for comparison.

The PSU is mulit-region, there isn't a 140/240V switch on these things. This one takes 100-240V as input. So yeah, I really think it's linked to the CPU. <sigh>

Will give more detail in the troubleshooting thread.