You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Next Gen Upgrade - pulling the trigger
04-01-2016, 02:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2016, 03:04 PM by pedwards.)
Hello H-R friends, fellow builders.

I realized that I'm ready to start to build again. There's also a significant life change coming up, so need to get my ducks in a row before May.

Ultimate goal is to have a multi-monitor setup, and eventually support VR kits in the future. Not that I'm looking to buy a Rift today, but definitely will be interested to try in the coming 12 months.

So, in secret, I bought 980 Ti that I was simply going to add to my current beast:
EVGA Geforce GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC ACX 2.0 Dual-fan
That I bought at around thanksgiving but never actually installed. It came with Rainbow 6 Siege that hilariously my 7970 ripped through at 90fps+ on Ultra and I realized I didn't need to bother. (Also interesting side note: the B&H site off the H-R Video card page is selling the 06G-P4-4995-KR with the backplate - the one I bought, and the Amazon is selling the 06G-P4-4993-KR for the same price w/o backplate. Sneaky Amazon, sneaky.)

Since then I realized that I do ultimately want a multi-monitor setup and with the VR kits my 2600K can certainly manage with a 980Ti, but I really miss the building part, testing, and OC'ing the CPU (and maybe the RAM too, but that's where it ends).

Well I just recently bought another 980Ti SC ACX 2.0 (06G-P4-4993-KR - aka w/o backplate) to match my previous card (06G-P4-4995-KR - aka with backplate) and as I have a colleague traveling from the USA that they can bring this along with them.

Ok, so here's what I'm looking for given I'm set on the SLI 980 TIs:

CPU:

Thinking 6700K so I can OC it along with the RAM (won't go higher than 16GB). Only curious if the 4 core will manage DX12 well enough.
or....
Should I look to 5930K with the more Cores? Not worried about the PCI 3.0 lanes as I really want to keep it to 2 GPUs.

Don't worry - not going to nail anyone to a wall based on DX12 information none of us know. Just thoughts on if you had to do it yourselves today.

Monitors (either):

- Triple 1920 x 1080 monitors (w/gsync)
- Dual 2560 x 1440 (w/gsync)
- Single 1920 x 1080 + 4K... 4K for gaming, the HD monitor for side reference... here I'm spitballing as I know a 2x 4K is probably overkill, although different rez monitors would probably drive me nuts.
- Other suggestions are welcome here.
FPS target is 70-90+ on Ultra/High for future proofing at any of the above resolutions

Mobo:

If 5930K - will use recommendations from Matthieu's current High-End like the Gigabyte Intel LGA 2011-3 X99 4way SLI/CrossFireX

For 6700K, looking for a good OC board, but also want M.2 slots / USB 3.0 a plenty. I had my eye on the ASRock Z170 OC Formula LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard as I really liked my ASRock I had before - but wow is it expensive. As a few years can change a bit, is ASRock still solid choice?

Finally I really would prefer to avoid going in 3-way SLI only because of the heat, PSU, and general setup fun that I'll already have to deal with 2 GPUs. So keep that in mind for what I'm hoping... of course that can change depending on the discussion.

So anyway I will stop here given those are the guts I wanted to discuss.

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts. You guys are a great bunch.
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper
04-03-2016, 02:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-03-2016, 02:33 PM by PwnBroker.)
RE: Next Gen Upgrade - pulling the trigger
upgrading from sandy to skylake for 4k is a wise choice. the 6700k will yield 25% better performance over the 2600k regardless.

with dual 980ti take a look at this review:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digita...gaming-cpu

compare the 4k60hz review with the 6700k 4k reviews and you will see the results are about the same as the 5930k on average with some games you will be hitting 60-70 fps with some hitting below that. if you look at the gpu utilization it is pegging out. the higher ipc of the 6700k shines regardless of core/thread utilization.

for your frame rate target at 4k at ultra settings and possible future proofing i would probably look at the high end article and the 5930k with the possibility of adding a 3rd 980ti in the near future, but we are looking at a new nvidia gpu release soon so it will be a matter of time before the 980ti's might be phased out. for high settings and maybe ultra with lower detail you will probably do fine with a dual gpu setup.

as for dx12 i wouldnt worry about core count because either of those will handle it.

for the z170 decision do a comparison the the reviews and pick a board that meets your required specs. remember the z170 is a premium chipset for skylake so be prepared for a higher price than previous gens.

as for monitor setups id look at the triple 1080p or single 4k with a 1080p on the side(windows icons can be really small at 4k at least for me). the dual 2560 seems like it would be annoying with the bezel in the middle of your field of view.

good luck
04-03-2016, 03:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-03-2016, 03:25 PM by pedwards.)
Thanks PwnBroker.

Yeah, I literally saw this post from TT about the supposedly named "GTX 1080s" and was going to post it in this thread and then noticed your kind post:

"While official specifications have not yet been confirmed, the GTX 1080 is rumored to be based on the GP 104 architecture. The GP 104 is set to succeed the GM 204 that powers the GTX 980 graphics card. It is also important to note the name designation for GTX 1080 is not yet final. It is only acting as a placeholder until the graphics card debuts.
The GTX 1080 will use 16 nm chips and will feature increased performance — at least double of what the current Maxwell GPUs are capable of. It is also rumored that it will have up to 32 GB of VRAM support.
"

Figures. I have been checking out different versions of the 980Ti for so long - I completely missed this. Oh well, perhaps they'll have the TitanZ/X equivalent for $1K so wouldn't be tempted. In any case no idea what that will mean for the gaming, but the 32GB of VRAM may be more of the push for multi-monitor 4K screens I would imagine.

Agree on the icons, and the bezel in the middle. Appreciate you alleviating the toughts on DX12 as well, especially going to W10 was something I wasn't a big fan of necessarily.

So debating on the 3HDs versus the one 4K + 1 HD option as the 3HDs is something I've thought about having for awhile, but technically is "old" resolution. Granted 4K is supposed to be so great, but with anti-aliasing @ 1080p should be pretty darn close as long as I'm not pressing my face to the screens.

Ugh - I still do go back and forth on the 6700K/5930K setups. I think I'm going with the higher IPC as I really noticed the peppiness on the 2600K when I had it at 4.6G in the past. Also I like the fast Win boot times. Perhaps the GTX 1080 will solve the SLI 4K challenge.

Anyway thanks for the thoughts. So the mobo looks good to you? I've been reading reviews all over, honestly I think having 3 M.2 slots or 1 is not a question unless I'm looking at a RAID setup, which I'm not. Although the ASR did seem to be good at the memory OC'ing.

I think I do want to stick to Air Cooling on the CPU however - so guess that's the NH-D14. Just wondering if that will fit even on the ASR given the space where the CPU is located and the first PCI 3.0 slot.
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper
04-03-2016, 05:47 PM,
toms hardware gave it an editors choice award so it should be a good board. the higher overclocks is probably what warrants the higher price than some of the other boards. huge voltage regulators is a good thing. sli pcie spacing in the 1st and 3rd slots is also good for gpu cooling. the nh-d14 should fit fine and you can go on noctua's site to check the compatibily list just to make sure and check the memory list as well as thats were most of the fit issues will happen.

ive always like the idea of triple monitor gaming but the bezels always bugged me even with the ultra thin bezels. im just waiting for a company to come out with a bezel-less oled monitor priced just right and then i would pull the trigger.lol. until then my 27" 1440p will have to do.

good luck on the new build
04-05-2016, 01:19 AM,
I was looking for bezel-less monitors too! Ha! What brands were you looking at that seems pricy?

In searching I think I've almost convinced myself to get one of the 34" UHD monitors. Seems a good compromise ... Although over $1000 bucks a piece. Which if I'm honest. Would need at least 2 $400 1080p monitors to match my existing one, so maybe not so bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-05-2016, 02:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-05-2016, 02:38 PM by PwnBroker.)
(04-05-2016, 01:19 AM)pedwards Wrote: I was looking for bezel-less monitors too! Ha! What brands were you looking at that seems pricy?

In searching I think I've almost convinced myself to get one of the 34" UHD monitors. Seems a good compromise ... Although over $1000 bucks a piece. Which if I'm honest. Would need at least 2 $400 1080p monitors to match my existing one, so maybe not so bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well, when some company finally decides to release a bezel-less oled monitor then i prolly wont be able to afford one anyways(i could afford it but im a cheapskate lol). im surprised that none are available yet. we have bezel-less smart phones and even screens that can be rolled up but none for pc's. i guess in 10 years maybe we will have some that are as thin as a sheet of paper and i can sticky tape a wide screen to my wall.

about the thinnest bezels for pc's are probably made by benq the 24" EW2440L would make a nice triple screen but at 500 bucks and no vesa mount kinda is a turn off.

that 34"uhd would make a nice setup. is it 4k or expanded uhd? ive often thought that i might try a 34" expanded uhd ultrawide one of these days. at 1440p it might have enough vertical view to actually be useful in fps games.
04-06-2016, 02:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-06-2016, 02:25 AM by pedwards.)
(04-05-2016, 02:35 PM)PwnBroker Wrote: well, when some company finally decides to release a bezel-less oled monitor then i prolly wont be able to afford one anyways(i could afford it but im a cheapskate lol). im surprised that none are available yet. we have bezel-less smart phones and even screens that can be rolled up but none for pc's. i guess in 10 years maybe we will have some that are as thin as a sheet of paper and i can sticky tape a wide screen to my wall.

about the thinnest bezels for pc's are probably made by benq the 24" EW2440L would make a nice triple screen but at 500 bucks and no vesa mount kinda is a turn off.

that 34"uhd would make a nice setup. is it 4k or expanded uhd? ive often thought that i might try a 34" expanded uhd ultrawide one of these days. at 1440p it might have enough vertical view to actually be useful in fps games.

Yes, I was looking at the BenQ's as well until I ran upon the Acer Predator X34.
This one is an UltraWide QHD (Quad or 4x720p instead of Quad 1080p) with a 21:9 aspect ratio, so not quite 4K. Quite frankly to me this is a huge upgrade, and it has G-sync which if I'm going through the trouble of getting these 980 Ti's, I'm going to want to have. Just a real pain in the rumpus. Also it seems that as a g-sync monitor, by definition the ports on the back are limited to a DisplayPort and HDMI - nothing more (AND $200 more expensive than the FreeSync version).

I'm now realizing that I doubt I can mix & match my old ViewSonic 27" vx2753mh-LED as it's nigh impossible to find anyone giving solid answers mixing G-sync monitors with non G-sync monitors. Some say it doesn't work depending on the driver, other says it works. I just really want to have another monitor so I can quickly check webpages, guides, walkthroughs without having to entirely alt-tab out of the game all the time like I currently do.

Anyway I did settle on the 6700K, and I had it binned (4.8GHz) and delidded and resealed. I really want to go all out now, although if I'm 24/7 at 4.6 GHz - more than happy. I found the ASR board where I live... always the USD equivalent but in EUR + 50 EUR more. So depressing. Big Grin

Edit: Oh and I found out from my last building experience that the NH-D14 that I ordered was a LGA2011 Special Edition. It was the recommended air cooler at the time for the Sandy-E, and guess what? All the NH-D14s are upgradable via bracket FOR FREE to LGA 1151 except the NH-D14 LGA2011 Special Edition which is not possible to upgrade!!! Nooooooo!! LOL. Figures. So guess I'm going for the NH-D15.

Edit #2: Oh and another thing. No GTX 1080/1070 announcement last night from team green! Yay! I can feel better for another 2 months. Wink
04-06-2016, 10:45 AM,
oooooooh thats a nice and expensive monitor, would be better if it had an hdmi 2.0 port as well. just remember that it is a 21:9 and a lot of games dont yet support it, BUT there are ways to play those games at 21:9 using apps like flawless widescreen, or enabling windowless borders, and some games you can change it in the ini files. OR for the games that dont support it and instead of looking the the black bars on each side you could run the game in windowed mode and have apps running in the side bars.

let us know how the build goes and what you think of the monitor(its supposed to be absolutely beautiful).

yeah kinda sucks no mention of gaming silicon although the driverless car and deep learning applications were interesting. im waiting until later in the year to upgrade myself to see what amd brings to the table cpu and gpu wise.

good luck
04-06-2016, 12:50 PM,
I'm not entirely sure as it's seems a bit sketchy based on who and when it was posted, but I think it's not hdmi 2.0 is because the g-sync tech doesn't support it. Could be wrong as I'm getting my info from reddit but guess will utilize the display port. Monitor is only 100Hz vers 144, but still better than 60 should be good enough for eliminating ghosting.

I'm also thinking that the 2nd screen using this may just not be possible. The monitor is huge.

"Flawless Widescreen" huh? Never heard of it but I just looked it up and it looks slick. Great recommendation.

Yeah, I really am anxious to hear both about the next gen for both. Also if AMD Zen will start to compete with the Intelopoly.

So next question. I'm now asking - M.2/PCI-e worth it? Leaning towards not using all those slots in the ASR at all given there will be no noticeable difference between that and a SATA SSD. That and I can get a larger SSD then for cheaper.

BTW - PwnBroker - what are the specs of your current rig now that we're talking about you waiting until end of year. Is it posted somewhere here?
04-06-2016, 02:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-06-2016, 02:57 PM by Dan-H.)
(04-06-2016, 12:50 PM)pedwards Wrote: So next question. I'm now asking - M.2/PCI-e worth it? Leaning towards not using all those slots in the ASR at all given there will be no noticeable difference between that and a SATA SSD. That and I can get a larger SSD then for cheaper.

If you need the I/O throughput 25Gb/sec might be worth it vs 6 GB/sec for SATA III.

M.2 has different speeds depending on the MoBo.

Some are SATA III speed 6.0Gb/sec,
Some are 10Gb/sec
Some are 25Gb/sec, and I've read 32Gb/sec might be possible.

My Z97 chipset is 10Gb/sec max on the m.2 slot, but there are PCIe adapters. I haven't felt the need to spend that money and am suffering with only one 500GB SSD right now.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6422/ad...index.html

(04-03-2016, 03:25 PM)pedwards Wrote: I think I do want to stick to Air Cooling on the CPU however - so guess that's the NH-D14. Just wondering if that will fit even on the ASR given the space where the CPU is located and the first PCI 3.0 slot.

Here is an interesting review. A little out of date but still a good read.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9415/top-t...dup-review

btw, I went with Cryorig R1 ultimate. On my board, the first PCIe slot is blocked, but it is a 1x slot so it isn't a problem. Cryorig makes a printable / fold-able mockup gadget to use to test fitting the cooler. I'm not sure about the other brands, but you could use it as a what-if, and then compare it to other coolers.

Also, I recently replaced the R1 fans with Phantek's. The Cryorig fans were fine except I could not get them to spin down as slow as I wanted. On my MoBo, using PWM CPU header, I could only get them down to 780 RPM and at that speed I could still hear them at idle. The Phantek's spin down to 600 rpm at idle and I cannot hear them. Top-end cooling seems to be the same or in other words, not an issue.

You might also look at the NH-D15 as an option.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.7Ghz Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G HSF: Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Mem: 2 x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB + a few spinners
PSU: Seasonic SS-760XP Platinum Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Monitors: 2 x Dell 2007FP 1600x1200