You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Computer and Setting up an SSD for my wife's laptop
02-12-2016, 01:19 PM,
New Computer and Setting up an SSD for my wife's laptop
I am getting ready to build a new gaming pc. The motherboard suggested in the web site is Gigabyte GA-Z797X. Looking in New Egg, the Gigabyte G1 GA-Z717X looks like it gives somewhat better performance for the dollar. Is there any problem using the Z717X.

I am also planning using the new computer to set up a new SSD hard drive for my wife's computer. Plan is to use my new computer and connect her new hard drive to it. Install windows 10 on it and then use PC mover to move her data and applications to the hard drive. Once I have done that I will use the BIOS on the new computer to boot from the newly created hard drive to verify everything is working properly before disassembling my wife's laptop to install the new SSD hard drive. Will all this work?

Thanks,

Andy Cruce
02-12-2016, 05:44 PM,
RE: New Computer and Setting up an SSD for my wife's laptop
I don't know what a Gigabyte G1 GA-Z717X motherboard is. Can you post an exact part number or a link.

on the SSD, I don't think that approach won't work. All the SSD upgrades I have done are either using a USB to SATA , or I've pulled old drive out and cloned it in another system then returned it to the laptop. Maybe start a separate thread as it will likely diverge from your new PC Build discussion.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.7Ghz Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G HSF: Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Mem: 2 x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB + a few spinners
PSU: Seasonic SS-760XP Platinum Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Monitors: 2 x Dell 2007FP 1600x1200
02-13-2016, 03:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-13-2016, 03:58 PM by andycruce.)
RE: New Computer and Setting up an SSD for my wife's laptop
Here is the link at new egg for the Z717X. It just looks a lot like a new version of the Z797X. Has an 1151 interface for the CPU. Would like to know which owe is best.

Thanks,

Andy

Opps - forgot the link. here is is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813128846

andy