You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mathieu's suggested 3rd party screwed me over
12-22-2015, 02:38 PM,
Mathieu's suggested 3rd party screwed me over
Just letting you guys know that while in terms of the hardware the laptop is fine, the MSI suggestion (IPS panel, 1000 dollar price point) the xotic pc 3rd party distributor screwed me out of an operating system. 8.1 bothers me eternally for an activation code I never received and the support guy says i should send my laptop in just for this. I've already tried to upgrade to windows 10 to fix this problem and it prompts for an activation code to move further. So he suggests that another "option" I have is to reinstall windows 10 from an ISO. Logic dictates, it's probably still going to ask for an activation code, I'm not sure how that fixes my problem. I'm pretty sure getting windows 10 isn't as simple as downloading an ISO and installing it for free.

These guys have royally fucked me and I'm furious. The guy "helping" me gave two shits about his company's shitty service. Bloatware just salts the wound. They couldn't just give me the activation code? Buy me a unique one for the trouble they caused me? Contacted microsoft to get an activation code? It sounds like they purposely sent out laptops without activated copies of windows and just expected people to get annoyed and buy activation codes.

But yeah I'm not paying for something I should already have. Any recommendations? Wasn't there some website that gave away codes from people's spare codes from premium purchases?
Mother: ASUS P8B75-M LE CPU: i3-3220
RAM: 2x F3-10666CL9-4GBNT Drive:WD5000AAKX
Video: R7 265 PSU: Antec VP-450 Case:FBM-01
12-22-2015, 03:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-22-2015, 03:56 PM by MathieuB.)
RE: Mathieu's suggested 3rd party screwed me over
Odd issue. The activation code should be embedded in the BIOS/UEFI and should just work. Yeah, installing Windows 10 is unlikely to fix the activation issue, but it's a worth a shot I suppose. Otherwise there is indeed an issue with the activation and I'm afraid that you have to return it for them to fix it.

It does suck, but errors do happen. They obviously don't do this on purpose, that would be just be asking for trouble. Sorry to hear that for you.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
12-24-2015, 12:33 PM,
RE: Mathieu's suggested 3rd party screwed me over
its not the third party vendors fault nor is it really msi's fault. starting with win 8 there are no longer COA's or keys given to the user. like mat said its imbedded in the bios.

a couple of things could have happened, a corrupted bios, corrupted OS files, or the OS was never activated on that machine to begin with.

id start by going to pc settings and see if it is activated. if not try the activate now button. if that doesnt work go into the command prompt and type: sfc/scannow to see if there are any corrupted files. if there are corrupted files then you are probably going to have to either use the recovery partition, recovery disk that came with it or the one you should have made when you first received it.

you could try some of the free utilities to try to read the key from bios such as enchanted key finder or rweverything.

if you tried to do anclean install using another copy of win 8.1 to get rid of the bloatware then you will have to do a recovery. also when you do an upgrade to win 10 you can only upgrade to the oem version you have, otherwise it is going to ask for the key.

good luck