You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrading rig - what's the best GPU/CPU I need/my rig can handle/I can afford?
12-01-2015, 06:42 PM,
RE: Upgrading rig - what's the best GPU/CPU I need/my rig can handle/I can afford?
yea, thats the bad thing about sales, you got to jump on them in a hurry

whenever you get everything put together AND you run windows 7 then there are 2 kb updates from microsoft that you will need to download that optimizes thread scheduling and core parking for the fx chips. of course if you are running windows 8 or 10 it is already optimized.

let me know and i will post the links to them if you have win 7.
12-01-2015, 06:54 PM,
RE: Upgrading rig - what's the best GPU/CPU I need/my rig can handle/I can afford?
I have a disc for and I'll be initially installing 7, but the free upgrade to 10 is still in effect, so I believe I'll be able to get it to 10. I should be taking care of that today after I get home, so if I run into a problem I'll mention it. Thanks though Smile

Side note: It dawned on me that I have 2x2 GB of 1866 RAM in my now gutted HTPC, and I believe my gaming rig mobo can use that speed. I originally got that RAM to improve the performance of the APU in the HTPC, so I'm thinking of keeping it with the APU for if/whenever I get that system up and running again, but I might move it to the rig I'm updating at least in the short term. Is it worth swapping out the 1333 RAM with the 1866, or since I have 12 GB already (8 of which is 1600) will it even make a difference?
12-03-2015, 09:05 AM,
Upgrading rig - what's the best GPU/CPU I need/my rig can handle/I can afford?
(12-01-2015, 06:54 PM)fillasophy Wrote: Side note: It dawned on me that I have 2x2 GB of 1866 RAM in my now gutted HTPC, and I believe my gaming rig mobo can use that speed. I originally got that RAM to improve the performance of the APU in the HTPC, so I'm thinking of keeping it with the APU for if/whenever I get that system up and running again, but I might move it to the rig I'm updating at least in the short term. Is it worth swapping out the 1333 RAM with the 1866, or since I have 12 GB already (8 of which is 1600) will it even make a difference?

For gaming, doubt you'll even notice. So not worth swapping it in/out in my opinion. I even downclocked my ram recently for OC stability and don't notice anything at all. I think it was from 1866 to 1600 as a matter of fact. Wink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper
12-04-2015, 04:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2015, 04:51 PM by fillasophy.)
Thanks Ped Smile
Yea, I figured it wouldn't do anything...though I do wonder if my 1600 is getting it's full potential or if it's getting limited by the 1333... I think my bios said the RAM was running 1333... meh, it's running fine, so no worries Smile

But it's finally done! The video card came in today, so I was able to complete everything. I had a close call with clearance.... The mobo I'm using has a really bad positioning for the SATA connectors - 4 of the 6 lie in the path of the video card placement. Before I was able to make it work pretty easily, but with the added SATA cable (SSD) and the longer GPU I had to get creative. I happened to have a pair cables with 90 degree connectors, so I put those in under the card and used the other two exposed slots. Things are tight, and didn't get a satisfying click when seating the card, but all is well Smile (Note, I also managed to break a small plastic piece off of the PCI-e mount when removing the old card Sad I'd previously thought it was a locking mechanism or some such, but I honestly can't seem to figure out why it was there before.... ??? )

Win10 automatically found the Geforce driver (which came with a nifty program that seems to optimize supported programs), and the Ark: Survival Evolved was running on high settings with around a 35 - 40 average framerate, so quite happy with the 960, even if it is the slightly lower end one.

The only thing I'm not 100% about is drivers. When I installed Win7 at first (yay free upgrade until June) I had to install the mobo lan driver before I could do anything else, but everything seems to be running fine now... I looked it up, but since my mobo is old and since I can't find Win10 drivers on the gigabyte site, I'm not sure if Win10 found everything it needed and it's all taken care of already or I'm supposed to use the Win8 drivers...

PS - If people want I can post a pick of the result.
PPS - anyone know a good set of orange (not red) case LEDS or cathode lighting, and possibly a recommendation for an orange LED fan (120 mm)? I'm going for a blacked-out Portal vibe - I have an Aperture logo cut out and the blue already, so I just need the orange...
12-04-2015, 04:40 PM,
didnt see the question on the memory but as ped said on that particular platform its not going to yeild any frame rate difference but for overclocking higher speed memory balances the total overclock. on all of the fx systems ive built they all seem to prefer 1550 to 1600 mhz on stable overclocks.n i tupically dont like mixing different speed kits in the same system but they all will default to 1333 anyways so it probably wont hurt a bit.

sorry no recommendations on colordy lights lol

glad it worked out for you and that new game.