You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrading rig - what's the best GPU/CPU I need/my rig can handle/I can afford?
11-29-2015, 11:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-29-2015, 11:53 PM by fillasophy.)
RE: Upgrading rig - what's the best GPU/CPU I need/my rig can handle/I can afford?
I've always disliked the premise of a refurb ("if you didn't make it right the first time, why should I trust that you can fix it?") but that IS a really good deal... plus, checking some benchmark data shows the 960 is roughly comparable to the 770, so that should get me to medium pretty well I should think Smile I'll need to think about it some more.

That said, I have one last question...I know there are different versions of the same card by the same manufacturer, and I now know that it's because the clock speeds are a little different on the different models. Should I be focusing on any particular model/speed, or will the most budget friendly still work for me?

I ask because I've found a variation on the 960 that's new but about the same price, so I avoid the refurb issue... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

I just pulled the trigger on the 6300 (amazon will have it to me by tomorrow) so I'll start the rebuild now, then add in the new card if I get one/when it arrives.

PS - I nearly forgot, but leaving the 6850 in there won't do anything but add load to the PSU since I can't use a bridge on it and the new card, correct?

In general thanks a ton for all the advice! Smile

Oh, and by the way...good call on checking the BIOS... mine are set at F2, so I'll need to take care of that first Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Upgrading rig - what's the best GPU/CPU I need/my rig can handle/I can afford? - by fillasophy - 11-29-2015, 11:47 PM