You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st build issue
09-12-2015, 03:07 AM,
1st build issue
So this was my first build, and i was happy with the work i put into it.
So i was trying to install windows 7 via usb flash drive. Powered the cpu on and went into the bios to configure the boot, and usb was not an option. There were only 2 options, cd/dvd drive, or hard drive. Could not figure out where to do the usb option as there wasnt an advanced boot menu drop down.

Anywho, so i decided to put the OS i had on flash drive onto a dvd, before I did that though, i change the boot order to cd/dvd first and hdd 2nd.

Since then everytime I power on the cpu, I get power, but no signal on my monitor, and no lights on the keyboard light up.

Only thing I've really done as for as troubleshooting is removing the mobo battery and putting in back in.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
09-12-2015, 11:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2015, 12:02 PM by Dan-H.)
RE: 1st build issue
Please detail all the relevant parts.
CPU
Motherboard
Display, how display is connected?
Graphics card,
HDDs
where ODD and HDDs are connect (eg, which is in SATA0, which is in SATA1)

Are you installing everything in the case?

If so, I'd disconnect almost everything, including all case connections for USB and have Motherboard power, CPU power, and Fans. Don't connect any SATA and don't connect the Case USB or Audio connections (yet).

I'd factory reset the BIOS. To be sure, remove battery for a few mins, disconnect PSU from wall power, press and hold power on switch for 5 seconds with battery out and PSU disconnected.

Then I would connect a monitor to the motherboard's video out. If you have a graphics card, don't install it yet. It can go in later after the system is running. If you have mutiple sticks of memory, just install two, or maybe even one since you are having issues.

Recap:
Don't connect ODD or HDD or Case USB.
Do connect CPU fans and Case Fans.
Only connect a USB Keyboard and mouse and connect these to the Motherboard connections.
Assuming you have onboard graphics, connect your monitor to the motherboard video.

Power on system and make sure you are back into BIOS and then let us know all the hardware details and BIOS version and we can suggest some next steps.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.7Ghz Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G HSF: Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Mem: 2 x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB + a few spinners
PSU: Seasonic SS-760XP Platinum Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Monitors: 2 x Dell 2007FP 1600x1200
09-12-2015, 12:23 PM,
(09-12-2015, 11:59 AM)Dan-H Wrote: Please detail all the relevant parts.
CPU
Motherboard
Graphics card,
HDDs

If so, I'd disconnect almost everything, including all case connections for USB and have Motherboard power, CPU power, and Fans. Don't connect any SATA and don't connect the Case USB or Audio connections (yet).

I'd factory reset the BIOS. To be sure, remove battery for a few mins, disconnect PSU from wall power, press and hold power on switch for 5 seconds with battery out and PSU disconnected.

Then I would connect a monitor to the motherboard's video out. If you have a graphics card, don't install it yet. It can go in later after the system is running. If you have mutiple sticks of memory, just install two, or maybe even one since you are having issues.

Recap:
Only connect a USB Keyboard and mouse and connect these to the Motherboard connections.
Assuming you have onboard graphics, connect your monitor to the motherboard video.

Power on system and make sure you are back into BIOS and then let us know all the hardware details and BIOS version and we can suggest some next steps.

Ill try what u said whrn i get home.
As for the specs
Amd phemom cpu
32 gb ram
Asrock mobo
Ssd drive and tb srorage both in sata 3 slots
Dvd burner in sata 2 slot
Video card to hdmi to tv

Maybe i didnt leave battery out long enough
09-12-2015, 04:43 PM,
(09-12-2015, 12:23 PM)lightninglarry Wrote:
CPU
Motherboard
Graphics card,
HDDs

Recap:

Ill try what u said whrn i get home.
As for the specs
Amd phemom cpu
32 gb ram
Asrock mobo
Ssd drive and tb srorage both in sata 3 slots
Dvd burner in sata 2 slot
Video card to hdmi to tv

Maybe i didnt leave battery out long enough

Another point to add to Dan-H's post. ASRock Mobo's are sometimes know to have certain sensitive USB ports that don't like to have power drawn from at boot.

Personally I had a tough time with my build in the beginning as well, until I used different USB ports for my keyboard / mouse - especially certain gaming mice. Today it's even the case, that I can't use certain ports before boot, but they work fine after it passes the splash screen.
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper
09-12-2015, 06:10 PM,
CPU
Motherboard
Graphics card,
HDDs

Recap:

ok I did this
only thing that was connected was video card as theres no on board memory, had 2 sticks of ram in, and a keyboard in a back usb mobo port.
Still comes up no signal after leaving battery out for several minutes and pushing the power button unplugged for a few seconds.
09-13-2015, 03:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-13-2015, 03:32 AM by pedwards.)
1st build issue
(09-12-2015, 06:10 PM)lightninglarry Wrote: ok I did this
only thing that was connected was video card as theres no on board memory, had 2 sticks of ram in, and a keyboard in a back usb mobo port.
Still comes up no signal after leaving battery out for several minutes and pushing the power button unplugged for a few seconds.
Last thing to try before we go surgical.

Sounds silly and perhaps was not clear when writing my last post but it really worked for me.
You need to unplug every peripheral from the mobo, including keyboard/mouse and then try to boot.
If you boot then, means u need to avoid certain USB ports being plugged in at boot, like the back of the case and instead use ports like on the front of your case if you have them, then try again.

If not this, then will have to start testing the parts individually.
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper
09-13-2015, 07:20 AM,
(09-13-2015, 03:21 AM)pedwards Wrote:
(09-12-2015, 06:10 PM)lightninglarry Wrote: ok I did this
Last thing to try before we go surgical.

Sounds silly and perhaps was not clear when writing my last post but it really worked for me.
You need to unplug every peripheral from the mobo, including keyboard/mouse and then try to boot.
If you boot then, means u need to avoid certain USB ports being plugged in at boot, like the back of the case and instead use ports like on the front of your case if you have them, then try again.

If not this, then will have to start testing the parts individually.
ok i booted with only my video card plugged in since i have no onboard memory.
still get no signal.
09-13-2015, 08:53 AM,
a couple of things, which model amd phenom and the model of the MB do you have and the model of memory.

what type of file is that win7 you are trying to install, did you convert the ISO file to a bootable usb/dvd file using a tool. sounds like that it was not recognizing that dvd as a bootable copy when you changed the boot order.

i would plug in the memory and gpu in the appropriate slots, only 1 hdd or ssd whichever you intend to install win7 on for now and try to boot back into BIOS and then we can go from there.
09-13-2015, 09:00 AM,
1st build issue
Also please go into more detail on what "no signal" means. Do the fans on the power supply go on or not? Fans in the case? Lights on the case (if any)?

Also to clarify, after we get PwnBrokers points regarding mobo model and CPU model - when you say 1st build. Was this a build you just did today, or was this your first build from awhile ago?

I assume it was from some time ago. Phenom II, which is the latest build was from 2012. So knowing the details would really help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-13-2015, 10:24 AM,
AMD FX 8-Core FX-8320 CPU is the processor
and the mobo is
ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 AM3+ AMD RX881/760G 2 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
here is the link from newegg :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813157366

yes fan lights/supply and power come on.
I used rufus to make a bootable usb flash drive with an iso. after i couldnt figure out the usb in the bios booting, i burnt the same iso to a dvd.
No signal just what it says on the tv monitor, like its not seeing anything, sorta like when you turn a regular monitor on, and it goes to orange for no signal.
The mobo i had was only a sata 2, so to take advantage of the newly bought ssd drive i got, i upgraded to this mobo to utilize the sata 3 connection.

What is gpu?