You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAID with a slave drive?
03-17-2011, 02:30 PM,
RE: RAID with a slave drive?
(03-17-2011, 12:09 PM)coonhound Wrote: You really won't need a RAID controller if it's just RAID 1 or RAID 0.

If you still plan on using an SSD to run the OS and key programs, I wouldn't even consider RAID 0. I'd also suggest to go with 1TB drives, especially considering you have an 80GB now.

He's planning on RAID10 with a slave drive.

Anyways I would recommend just getting an SSD for OS + a few programs and then 2 drives for data/other programs in RAID1.
Your friendly forum administrator.
03-17-2011, 03:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-17-2011, 03:36 PM by andiron.)
(03-17-2011, 02:30 PM)Andrew J Wrote:
(03-17-2011, 12:09 PM)coonhound Wrote: You really won't need a RAID controller if it's just RAID 1 or RAID 0.

If you still plan on using an SSD to run the OS and key programs, I wouldn't even consider RAID 0. I'd also suggest to go with 1TB drives, especially considering you have an 80GB now.

He's planning on RAID10 with a slave drive.

Anyways I would recommend just getting an SSD for OS + a few programs and then 2 drives for data/other programs in RAID1.

LOL...it's hard to know what I'm planning from one day to the next! I was hoping for some feedback on the enclosures I linked to because my plan as it stand now is as follows:

Build a workstation with two 1T (or 1.5T) HDDs in RAID 1. Utilize one SSD for OS and other software. Then...potentially use one of the dual enclosures (linked to in my previous post) to house two HDDs in RAID 1 for back up purposes.

So my basic questions from this are:

1. Do the back up drives need to be the same size...or larger than the drives they are backing up?

2. How big of an SSD would be sufficient enough to cover OS and other software we might be running? For example...Adobe CS5, Maya3D, Zbrush, Rosetta, antivirus, browsers, etc etc etc.

3. I plan on using Samsung Spinpoint F3s inside the case. Should I use something like the Caviar Greens in the backup enclosure....not so much for more reliability....but because they run cooler and the enclosure itself may or may not cool effectively?

4. Do any of those enclosure stand out (from anyone's experience or opinion) as appropriate for my RAID 1 back up?

From what I see and read I think the ICY enclosure would be the way to go...but it's on the pricey side.

Thank you for the recommendations!

PS...your recommendation Andrew about the two drives in RAID 1...with one SSD is exactly the same as what Mathieu said. So as you can see...this is right on with your recommendation! Mathieu also suggested a RAID 1 back up utilizing a separate enclosure. That's where I'm at now..deciding sizes and enclosures. I think this will be the best all around solution. And I think it gets to the heart of the matter of what you've said repeatedly...the RAID 10 solution would not have been a full back up and would have only guarded against data loss due to drive failure. Thank you for all of your feedback!

03-17-2011, 03:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-17-2011, 03:49 PM by MathieuB.)
1. At least the same size (so you don't run of space), but larger wouldn't be a bad idea, if you decide to add hard drives in your case (say two more 1TB to have four drives in RAID 1, with 2TB of storage capacity in total) in the future.
2. On the laptop that I use for work, I have a 120GB Intel SSD. With Windows 7, Photoshop CS5, browsers, anti-virus and the like, I have about 75GB of free space. That should be enough to cover Maya and the rest. You might want to consider 160 or 180GB so that you have more spare space for other programs that you might decide to install in the future.
3. Yes, also because you can get 5,400rpm drives with large capacities for less than 7,200 rpm drives. For example, the Samsung F4 2TB (5,400rpm) is $90 or so.
4. I would recommend that you use Google to find reviews of enclosures, to find the one that would suit you the best. Or wait for me to update the Workstations and see my recommendations then.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
03-17-2011, 03:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-17-2011, 03:54 PM by andiron.)

Hi coonhound...wanted to specifically respond to your post. I gather I won't need the extra controller and appreciate your confirmation. Also, I'm thinking 1T of space with 1T of back up should be plenty...but wasn't and am still not 100% sure. It's all arbitrary until you use the system and find out you have plenty...or not enough storage. Like you said, coming from 80G it's hard to imagine 1T not being enough...especially if using an SSD to store OS,etc.

IF the price were similar I expect I could use 1.5T drives? Anyway, I think I'm on the right track now. Thanks!

(03-17-2011, 03:49 PM)MathieuB Wrote: 1. At least the same size (so you don't run of space), but larger wouldn't be a bad idea, if you decide to add hard drives in your case (say two more 1TB to have four drives in RAID 1, with 2TB of storage capacity in total) in the future.
2. On the laptop that I use for work, I have a 120GB Intel SSD. With Windows 7, Photoshop CS5, browsers, anti-virus and the like, I have about 75GB of free space. That should be enough to cover Maya and the rest. You might want to consider 160 or 180GB so that you have more spare space for other programs that you might decide to install in the future.
3. Yes, also because you can get 5,400rpm drives with large capacities for less than 7,200 rpm drives. For example, the Samsung F4 2TB (5,400rpm) is $90 or so.
4. I would recommend that you use Google to find reviews of enclosures, to find the one that would suit you the best. Or wait for me to update the Workstations and see my recommendations then.

Okay...once again...very cool! Okay I think it's set in stone. And yes Mathieu..I'm very curious what your next workstation builds will look like! Big Grin Thanks!
03-17-2011, 03:54 PM,
Even with all my media (TV, movies, music) and my pictures from photography (A few GB per photography session), I'm using about 300GB, so I'd think that 1TB would be plenty enough. Then again, you can just add more drives in the future if you want/need to.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
03-17-2011, 03:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-19-2011, 02:09 PM by andiron.)
(03-17-2011, 03:54 PM)MathieuB Wrote: Even with all my media (TV, movies, music) and my pictures from photography (A few GB per photography session), I'm using about 300GB, so I'd think that 1TB would be plenty enough. Then again, you can just add more drives in the future if you want/need to.

Perfect! I'm very pleased to have both my internal storage and external back up capacities nailed down! I will look at enclosure reviews....but I think I may have stumbled on to a decent one with the ICY Dock. In any event I will also be watching your builds! Man...this actually is a relief! LOL

Just as a way to continue documenting my findings....I just ran into another interesting enclosure. This one can hold up to 4 drives...but will work with just two and give room for future expansion. It also works with several different RAID configurations. Price seems a little more attractive than a few of the others I've mentioned. ----> http://www.compu2000.com/index.php?l=pro...il&p=11391