You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
big mobo mess with win 7
11-29-2014, 10:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-30-2014, 03:42 PM by galahad1313.)
big mobo mess with win 7
Ok I obviously didn't do my homework on this one. I had someone come and install my new mobo, cpu and gpu but the problem now is the system won't boot up. Huh I get to the intro screen to windows with the little swirly balls coming together then it freezes and boots back to 2 choices. either I retry to boot up again(it will fail) or run a repair routine(doesn't work). I can't re-install my old oem copy of windows 7, it won't accept it so I went out and bought win 8 as no stores in this town carries win 7 anymore.
So the problem is 2-fold or worse. How do I get the bloody computer to boot up, how do I install win 8 over win 7 without losing all my data( I do NOT want to lose those 30+ games I have installed(+patches/mods etc) unless I'm given no choice. Is there a quick and easy video that shows how? I can't find one that covers this exact scenario and I have no external drive to save the data to nor do I know any other method of doing so. I hate this Sad

follow-up: finally got everything installed and I did lose all my games and still crying about it and to make my life worse, I have no sound and don't understand why *cries some more*. I had better luck building my own computer from scratch than this silliness, so still stuck, but on something different. I'm ready to give up as I'm broke and can't afford to bring it it to a shop to try and fix.
12-01-2014, 01:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-01-2014, 01:08 PM by Rapajez.)
RE: big mobo mess with win 7
Well, sorry for the delay. You can't swap out a mobo without re-installing Windows. There's dozens of different hardware and drivers on each mobo, that require different/conflicting software and Windows modules.

Obviously too late now, but for next time: BEFORE you make a swap, do a backup of the important stuff. Steam has a built-in backup to save off all of your game files to DVDs, another drive or an external USB device. If you already have a non-booting Windows install, you can try booting up into a temporary OS, off of DVD or USB (such as Ubuntu Linux), and pulled of the files you needed from the hard drive. That method works without actually installing anything, as Linux just runs on the USB/DVD, without making changes to your Windows install or boot drive. You also may have been able to do an in-place install of Windows 8, which probably would have lead to other issues, but possibly kept your files and applications in tact.

Anyway, your problem now is likely just the audio driver. Just head over to the motherboard manufacture's website, find your model, and download the latest audio driver. If you're uncomfortable with that, there's a great free utility called "SlimDrivers" that will scan your device for all missing/outdated drivers, here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...2063,d.eXY . Also, ensure you're plugged into the correct ports in the rear of the case. If you're using the case's front ports, be sure the front panel cable is properly connected to the mobo audio headers.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
12-01-2014, 06:28 PM,
well im not generally on here on weekends and i wish i had saw this, but there is a way to change out a MB without losing your personal data, the most complicated part is calling microsoft to reset the oem key. i feel bad now.

like rap said its probably a driver issue with the sound, and if its win8 installed i would upgrade to 8.1(free) as there were a lot of driver incompatibilities with 8.

good luck
12-02-2014, 12:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-02-2014, 12:55 PM by galahad1313.)
Don't feel bad guys, you do have lives and you've nothing to feel bad about. Part of it was bad planning and lack of homework on my part. I should have maybe splurged for and ssd, saved my games on it, install win 8 to replace win 7, re-install the games then x-fer win 8 to the ssd(I'm out of breath just typing that which, I know makes no sense but it was only a metaphor lol). It just saddened me that this guy was such a twit and ruined my reunion by his incompetence.

Luckily some games were saved(those I had from steam, origin, beamdog and arc. That only leaves me with other games that I physically own that I have to re-install. Still not a fan of drm and never will be as my attempts to patch an old game(nwn2) has proven(and this game WASN'T drm but shows what coould/would probably happen if any drm company went belly-up. What happens to support in teh form of patches etc), seems the patches are gone from obsidian, ign and atari pfft. But I digress. I've taken my harddrive to a tech I trust yesterday to fix all the problems this thing has now.

As for win, the copy I bought since I couldn't find a single copy of win 7(no one here sells them any more) was in fact 8.1, now I just need to get used to it once the puter's back. I had also d-loaded what I thought were the proper sound drivers as thre is the in-built one which the mobo reviews say really shine for a mobo sound as well as ROG sound which will be my main sound which is why I found it odd that neither one worked. But anyway don't feel bad guys, I appreciate the answers nevertheless and I take full blame for being unprepared. (just fyi, I knew I was in trouble when the clown dropped my HD on my kitchen floor roflmao) My mouse usb cap must have flown off when he did as I can't use my mouse anymore and I can't find the cap......more money I have to spend on a new mouse now. I should just sue this idiot but the court costs would be more than the parts so screw it.