You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Build Won't Detect Hard Drive
11-12-2014, 12:27 PM,
Hi Everyone --

I put together my first build a couple of weeks ago: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Taliesyn/saved/2m7MnQ

With the exception of a couple of minor glitches here and there, the build went well. At this point, I am looking to add a second hard drive to my 250 GB SSD. I attempted to install a Hitachi Ultrastar, but it would only click and beep on my computer -- I couldn't get the new computer to detect the hard drive. I tested the drive on another computer with the same results -- clicking and beeping. So, I assumed the HD was dead and exchanged it for a SeaGate Barracuda 2000 GB. Now, when I try to install the SeaGate HD, BIOS or Windows still do not detect it. When I tried to install the SeaGate HD into my older computer, I could get BIOS to detect it, but it would not show up on Windows (Vista). So, not sure what's going on there...

At this point, I installed an older Seagate 750 GB HD borrowed from my old computer into my new build. The computer reads it and all works great.

Does anyone have an idea why I am having so much difficulty installing my new hard drive? Any direction/advice would be great. I consider myself a novice who has much to learn!

Thanks for all your support.
11-13-2014, 05:55 PM,
You may need to set it up in Windows now that you know the port works.

Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.‌ Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management, and then look for the new drive.

You will need to set up a partition and format it.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 GPU: EVGA GTX 650 2GB SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB HDDs: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB and Western Digital VelociRaptor 500 GB Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro RAM: 8x8GB (64GB) G. Skill Ripjaws Z 1600MHz Optical Drives: two Asus DRWB1ST PSU: Seasonic X650 80+ Gold Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional S Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Tablet: Logitech T650 Monitors: NEC P241W and NEC PA241W Speakers: Bose Companion 3 Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
11-13-2014, 06:25 PM,
RE: New Build Won't Detect Hard Drive
I tried to identify the drive using disk management but it's not listed, so I can't set up a partition and format it...

(11-13-2014, 05:55 PM)mwhals Wrote: You may need to set it up in Windows now that you know the port works.

Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.‌ Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management, and then look for the new drive.

You will need to set up a partition and format it.
11-13-2014, 07:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-13-2014, 07:33 PM by Dan-H.)
Does the drive show up in BIOS under the Peripheral management?

If BIOS doesn't see a drive connected to a SATA port, it won't show up in Windows.

If it is shown in the BIOS, then I would go to Device Management under Disk Drives.

If it is not listed, right click on Disk drives and select "Scan for hardware changes".

If it is listed, try un-installing the device under disk drives. ( be careful don't un-install the SSD device).

Un-install the device driver, reboot and hopefully windoze will re-add the driver.

Once is shows up as a device, right click on it, select properties and verify the device is operating normally. then go to disk management to format it.

Is your new system Windows 8.1? or Windows 7?
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.7Ghz Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G HSF: Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Mem: 2 x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB + a few spinners
PSU: Seasonic SS-760XP Platinum Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Monitors: 2 x Dell 2007FP 1600x1200
11-15-2014, 08:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-15-2014, 08:31 AM by Taliesyn.)
I was never able to solve the BIOS detection problem with the unformatted hard drive with my new build (Windows 8.1). For whatever reason, BIOS of my old DELL computer was able to detect the new, unformatted drive. So, after a couple of interesting tries (guess Vista has difficulty formatting 2 TB drives, so used Seagate's software), I was able to format the hard drive. Then once I put the formatted drive into my new computer, BIOS and Windows both detected it. Weird. I'm glad I was able to install the hard drive, but I don't like that I had to use some backdoor technique to do it or that I still don't understand why BIOS was unable to detect the new hard drive. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks to everyone for their help!!!

No, the unformatted drive never showed up in BIOS, so I was never able to get to Disc Management to format. My OS is Windows 8.1.

I ended up formatting the drive on another computer. Once formatted, BIOS & Windows both detected the new drive.

Thanks for the advice, Dan!