You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tier 4/5 Modified Build - Input Welcome!
10-27-2014, 02:01 PM,
RE: Tier 2/3 Modified Build - Input Welcome!
Wow - that changes things a lot! I think I'll probably go with an i5 then, but you are recommending to skip the "K" versions. Is that mainly budget driven or is there not going to be a need to overclock? If not, I can save some money on the motherboard too I think, I'll just have to check the chipset and what is needed by the CPU.

I'll post an updated build list later tonight.
10-27-2014, 03:07 PM,
yep it is a budget descision, and yes you may save some more cash by going with an "H" series motherboard. as for overclocking, i have found that a lot of these newer games are scaling with threads/cores and not necessarily with cpu frequency. my thoughts is that these cpu's are already fast enough at stock freqs to hold frame rates level.

good luck
10-27-2014, 04:13 PM,
I think the R9 280 would be the bare minimum for Star Citizen as well. I'd try to at least squeeze in the AMD R9 290, or NVIDIA GTX 770 4GB. Sorry for bumping up your budget. Smile

You CAN save on the non-k, H series motherboard. Plus, you can drop the aftermarket CPU cooler and use the stock one.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
10-27-2014, 04:37 PM,
you could expect around 45-50 fps on average with the R9 280 on high settings with this game.
10-27-2014, 06:44 PM,
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured but was hoping it wouldn't be the case. I'm working on a new build and will post here (as well as update my original post with the new info so it's easier to find).

I very much appreciate all the responses and the great advice. I'll either have some awesome build pics soon or a sob story about how my wife wanted to save the money for sending the kids to college or something silly like that!
10-27-2014, 09:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-27-2014, 09:16 PM by Will S..)
Updated build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W ($225)
CPU Cooler: Stock ($0)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard ($63)
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ($155)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s ($55)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 GAMING 4GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ($290)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($50)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($50)
Optical Drive: LG SATA 24X DVD Burner ($18)

Total $906

These are all Newegg prices and I haven't shopped around in detail yet. I'll definitely do that, and dial in brands/flavors/colors etc., but for now I'm mainly concerned that I'm getting the building blocks correct. Here is an updated breakdown of my thought process - please let me know what you think:

CPU: i5-4690
In order to keep cost down, I'm opting for a locked processor. This one seems to be a sweet spot for gaming, has four cores and doesn't have some of the frills I don't necessarily need (hyperthreading, etc.). If I could find a great deal on an i5-4670 I'd probably go for that since the only real difference between the two is 3.4 vs. 3.5 MHz.

Motherboard: H97 chipset
No overclocking needed and don't need SLI/Crossfire support (single card system), so I don't need the Z97. I'd go with a H87 board if I could find a great deal because I don't really need PCI-E M.2, but the H97 motherboard I listed in this build seemed to be a good deal. Also has plenty of SATA 6/GB and USB 3.0.

Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600
I figure there is no reason to get faster memory than this since I have no way to overclock the processor to deal with it so 1600 it is. Since the processor is dual channel I don't think it matters whether I go 2x8 or 4x4 so I'm just looking for a good deal. I think CAS 9 or lower makes sense but honestly I don't know if there is a real world performance improvement by going down to CAS 7. If there is I can tweak the build.

Storage: 7200RPM 1TB HDD
If the only benefit to an SSD is faster initial load and loading of new levels/areas then I think this is one area I can save a few bucks. I can always add an SSD later.

Video card: R9 290
This is a beast. Anything up from here I can't really afford. The benchmarks I read show it outperforming the GTX 770 for about the same money. I'm going for single monitor 1920x1080 awesomeness and if this doesn't do it I'm probably going to just have to skip the computer altogether and buy myself an awesome new guitar instead and write ballads about the computer that wasn't meant to be.

Power Supply: 650w
I'll count up all the connections I need to make sure this one has enough of the right types, but 650w should be plenty. Power supply configurators want me to get one much bigger but I'm thinking that is BS.

So there it is. Am I getting close?
10-28-2014, 12:31 PM,
you are getting close to an awesome gaming rig indeed.

some thing i will point out. the non k processor you have chosen is more expensive than the i5-4570 or the i5-4460 and you will not gain anything with a higher clock speed. i would say that is why toms hardware chooses the lower clocked 4460 as their high performance gamers pic. i like it unless someone plans on playing a lot of simulation games such as civ5, COH, etc then i would go with the 4570.

here is a link comparing all of the haswell refresh concerning frame rates on games that include newer titles:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/dis...esh_4.html

as for the memory, 1600 or 1866 will do fine with a discrete gpu(if they are the same price then go with 1866, some games may start coming out that utilizes faster memory so that will future proof you. BF4 has some gain using the higher speed kits). as for the timings, lower timings usually do not translate to better perfromance in real world games(only benchmarks). here is an article that explains that, and notice the 1333 kit with cl7 really sucked:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memor...haswell/10

the rest looks fine to me, good luck to ya.
10-28-2014, 12:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-28-2014, 12:57 PM by Rapajez.)
Agreed, if you can save a few $$$ on the CPU, re-consider the SSD. Even a cheaper Crucial MX100 model is better than nothing, and if it's only for one game, you can go as low as a $70 120GB MX100.

It's hard to quantify in the same way as FPS with a GPU, but once you've used an SSD, it's hard to go back. When I use a friends PC, and I have to wait for something to happen after I launch an app, a part of me dies inside. Now that I'm a boring old person with a baby, I treasure every free second I have to game, so that 2 minute load time, every 10 minutes in StarCraftII was killing me.

If an SSD will prevent you from getting to playable framerates, than I too would skip it for now; otherwise, try to squeeze one in.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
10-28-2014, 04:13 PM,
So I was working under the mistaken assumption that the clock speed on memory was driven by the processor, not the motherboard. I will update my build to show a less expensive i5, motherboard that supports faster memory, faster memory sticks, and an SSD drive.

I'm also wrestling with whether I need to get a case with a window and color code all my components, go for a more high end brushed metal looking case, or just go with whatever is cheap and good.

New build to be posted later tonight.
10-28-2014, 04:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-28-2014, 04:23 PM by Rapajez.)
You'll probably keep your case longer than the rest of your components, so I'd keep that in mind. In the $50 price range, I'd just want front panel connections, good cable routing (holes to hide them behind the mobo), and a case that won't dent if pushed over or cut my finger every time I add a memory stick! The Rosewill you choose fits most of those, the Corsair 200 or some of the $50 Cooler Master cases may be good alternatives.

For $100, I'd also want dust filters, excellent air flow and maybe an integrated fan controller, more tool-less components, noise suppression, and that brushed-metal or higher quality (e.g., not plastic) build material. The Corsair Carbide 500R, NXZT Phantom, or Fractal Design Define R4 are some good candidates.