You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Station
10-08-2014, 05:07 PM,
RE: Game Station
Okay...so the Gigabyte HW monitor software, within the SIV software, is obviously not accurate. I went into the bios and looked within the PC Health category and found different temps. My idle appears to be anywhere from 30C to 33C. Most of the time it lands around 31-32C. My system temp stays right at 31-32C and my PCH is at 36-37C. Not sure I completely understand the difference between CPU and PCH temps.

Simply put:

CPU - 30-32C
PCH - 36-37C
System 31-32C

I will address further questions on this subject in the Q&A section. Perhaps I need to add that 3 bay fan set up after all?
10-09-2014, 02:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 02:26 AM by andiron.)
Okay...so I downloaded HWmonitor...a version that supposedly supports Devils Canyon...and it breaks down temperatures by cores? Weird. It's showing between 25 and 28C within the various cores. Meanwhile, an odd thing is happening with the original Gigabyte HWmonitor software...it's now showing:

System - 30C
PCH - 35C
CPU - 21C

So two of these readings are more realistic. In the freeware version of HWMonitor....the inputs are cryptic...but it looks like my CPU temp is 30C....and a second Gigabyte input is at 20C? I am thinking based on everything I've been able to discern is that my CPU is probably right at 30C...most of the time. Again...not sure what individual core temps mean?

I figure you guys might chime in and tell me if this is normal stuff. My fan speeds are all running low but I do occasionally hear them speed up slightly. Even when they spin slightly faster I am very satisfied...it's a very quiet system. Fan speeds are usually in the 500 to 600 rpm range...except for CPU cooler fans are usually a bit faster...getting readings of 800 to 1100+ rpm. (At idle my CPU fan rpms usually show to be right at 894) I want to say I'm quite satisfied that the fans are not turning very fast to maintain temps...at least so far. But then again I haven't gamed or done anything very heavy...mostly just surfing and installing programs. All this...fwiw.... and in case it matters. Thanks!
10-09-2014, 08:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 08:27 AM by PwnBroker.)
what is the temperature of the room where the computer is located, measured a couple of feet away? the MB temp should be around 5-10 deg C over ambient room temp even under load. if it raises any more than that under load then you have an airflow problem in the case. those temps look more realistic and normal than what you posted before(depending on room temp). see what they are playing a game or something or running a cpu bench like prime95 or something and post back.
10-09-2014, 10:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 10:35 AM by andiron.)
I'm getting a reading this morning of right at 22C two ft. away...and readings are:

System - 28C
PCH - 33C
CPU - 19C

Core Values (0-3) all constantly vary between 22C and 25C.

So the CPU temp doesn't make sense. Oh...and I also get airflow temp readings for my ssd and gpu...28C and 29C respectively.

Oh and just for curiousity's sake I took a reading 2 inches from the front intake and got a reading of 21.4C ...this all using a digital thermometer
10-09-2014, 01:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 02:15 PM by PwnBroker.)
system and pch seems correct but that cpu at 19C may not be correct. do this, google HWMonitor, download it and run it and see what temps it gives. RealTemp from techpowerup is also another good app. sometimes these motherboard software are wrong. also never use speedfan app. fyi, pch is the southbridge temps.
10-09-2014, 02:31 PM,
Remember too that the variances between various cores may mean that two may be working and two at idle depending on your CPU load. I often see that when checking temperatures.
10-09-2014, 03:04 PM,
(10-09-2014, 02:31 PM)Trebor Wrote: Remember too that the variances between various cores may mean that two may be working and two at idle depending on your CPU load. I often see that when checking temperatures.

yes, and those core value temps seem more correct than the cpu temp. i wouldnt really worry about and i would run some stress tests and monitor with one of the two apps i listed and see what the temps do under load. thats going to tell you the whole story.
10-09-2014, 05:58 PM,
Thanks guys. Okay...so actually the temps I listed were from HW Monitor Pro...free download. I also have HW Monitor that looks different....with much less temperature information....included with my Gigabyte APP software suite. I guess I could try Realtemp? Also, what stress test should I perform to see how my cooling set up performs? I read not to stress test...but perhaps something realistic and not too crazy? Glad to hear the core temps are likely more realistic....because they are just over ambient.
10-10-2014, 09:01 AM,
if that is the case then those core temps look correct. the cpu temp is actually the cpu socket temp and it can be a little lower because of calibration defects from the factory. i would bet that if you stress test it the cpu and core temps will align and read closer to one another. sometimes at idle cpu may read a little lower because of calibration, like i said.

i use aida64 for stress testing. they now have a free aida64 extreme that you can download from guru3d.com or cnet. i like this app because it stresses more closely to real world applications and is actually validated for newer chipsets like haswell unlike prime95.(which can be a little harsh).

one other app that you can use if you are really uncomfortable is the Intel XTU(extreme tuning utility). it is designed by intel and i have recommended on here for beginning overclockers using the auto overclock function. if i remember it also has a stress test function that you can use to test your system.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/m...ility.html
10-10-2014, 03:27 PM,
(10-10-2014, 09:01 AM)PwnBroker Wrote: if that is the case then those core temps look correct. the cpu temp is actually the cpu socket temp and it can be a little lower because of calibration defects from the factory. i would bet that if you stress test it the cpu and core temps will align and read closer to one another. sometimes at idle cpu may read a little lower because of calibration, like i said.

i use aida64 for stress testing. they now have a free aida64 extreme that you can download from guru3d.com or cnet. i like this app because it stresses more closely to real world applications and is actually validated for newer chipsets like haswell unlike prime95.(which can be a little harsh).

one other app that you can use if you are really uncomfortable is the Intel XTU(extreme tuning utility). it is designed by intel and i have recommended on here for beginning overclockers using the auto overclock function. if i remember it also has a stress test function that you can use to test your system.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/m...ility.html

Okay...so I opted to go with the Intel XTU software. Here's what I did and the results....

1. I ran a benchmark and it gave me 1090 marks. You can hit a button to compare results and I found that my score was very high compared to others with my CPU, motherboard, etc. Highest CPU temp during the benchmark was 73C.

2. I ran a stress test on my CPU. I actually ran this twice. The default time is 5 minutes and I thought I remember people testing for 10 minutes or longer. So I repeated without waiting. My system passed the test and I saw CPU temperatures during the test of 60 - 68C...but mostly in between.

3. I stress tested my memory. I tested for 5 minutes one time. It passed the test. I noticed CPU temps during this test of 54 - 70C.

4. I stress tested my graphics. This test was a bit confusing since I wasn't sure if my gpu was being tested or just the on-board graphics? I assume the gpu because my system information within this utility reflected my Nvidia card. My system passed the graphics stress test but I noticed temperatures creeping up a bit towards the end of the first test. So...I tested a second time and without delay. My cpu temps during the first test ranged from 39 - 49C. My cpu temps during the second test ranged from 44 - 51C. I did see it hit 53C once or twice during the entire 5 minutes...but those were rare numbers not seen otherwise.

Perhaps this is all good...all tests passed? OR...my temps are too high? Not sure what is acceptable. In my bios I set to be warned when my temperatures reach 80C.

Does this all sound acceptable? Thanks!