You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Station
09-22-2014, 11:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2014, 12:37 AM by andiron.)
Game Station
I have received a lot of help here...many generous people. Without this site I would have never attempted my first build. I learned a lot here...did my research...gathered opinions...and followed most of the advice I received. I'm far from being a tech or geek....took 3 days to build...and still haven't done anything with regard to software. I still have a question or two about if my build is correct...as posted in another thread "Into the Weeds"

Parts Used:

Case: Corsair 650D - modified...cut the front grill and replace stock fan with Bitfenix Spectre Pro.
CPU: i7-4790K
CPU Cooler: Cryorig R1 Universal
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA Z97X UD5H BK - Black Edition Ultra Durable
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133mhz Cas9 1.5v Dual Channel DDR3
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256G
HDD: Western Digital Black 7200 RPM 64 bit 2TB
ODD: Pioneer Bluray BD209
PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+Gold

Again, this was my first build. The parts were put together, as per the Newegg instructional video outside of the case to test for problems. Next I proceeded with the build as "normal". What I am unsure of now is if I hooked the sata connnections up to the correct inputs on the motherboard so as to best take advantage of ssd speed, and then a priority towards Intel Sata first...etc.

So without further adieu....I will attempt to post pics....that may have to be edited for size first...so they may trickle in...a few tonight...more as the week progresses.

Edit: Im adding pics...but the links are not all in order. Not sure what I did...but after the first pic the next two are at the bottom shown as attachments. So first pic....go to bottom...then come back up for next pic. Sorry for the confusion...I feel pretty stupid right about now. If you look at the pic numbers you can see that they are in order and and taken as the build progressed.

.jpg   DSC09508A.jpg (Size: 142.32 KB / Downloads: 88)

A few more parts pics...

One pic of the case after I cut the front grill out...one with the new fan installed. I realized my mistake before actually doing the build and turned that fan around as I had accidentally set it as exhaust. Blush

.jpg   DSC09511A.jpg (Size: 105.67 KB / Downloads: 89)

.jpg   DSC09513A.jpg (Size: 126.6 KB / Downloads: 90)

Next....

.jpg   DSC09518A.jpg (Size: 141.58 KB / Downloads: 89)

.jpg   DSC09521A.jpg (Size: 148.58 KB / Downloads: 88)

A few more here...a bit of duplication....but not sure what people might be looking to see...

.jpg   DSC09524A.jpg (Size: 130.2 KB / Downloads: 90)

.jpg   DSC09525A.jpg (Size: 125.46 KB / Downloads: 88)

.jpg   DSC09528A.jpg (Size: 128.67 KB / Downloads: 12)

.jpg   DSC09529A.jpg (Size: 149.43 KB / Downloads: 88)

.jpg   DSC09530A.jpg (Size: 129.32 KB / Downloads: 88)

Final pic...

.jpg   DSC09531A.jpg (Size: 129.19 KB / Downloads: 89)

Thanks for looking! Big Grin

Sorry guys..posting photos is obviously beyond me....as I now see some of the photos are sideways. Weird...because they are saved in correct orientation on my laptop...and...some posted correctly? Not bad for a first build if I do say so myself. Now...later this week I will see if I can get the software/bios and drivers set up correctly! Smile

Attached Files
.jpg   DSC09509A.jpg (Size: 149.52 KB / Downloads: 11)
.jpg   DSC09510A.jpg (Size: 138.21 KB / Downloads: 12)
09-23-2014, 01:50 PM,
RE: Game Station
Wow, looks great! Very clean, especially for having to do a case-mod on your first build. Smile Nice job with the cable routing! (I don't know why it took case vendors 30-years to invent cable grommets, etc.)

Good show!
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
09-23-2014, 07:37 PM,
(09-23-2014, 01:50 PM)Rapajez Wrote: Wow, looks great! Very clean, especially for having to do a case-mod on your first build. Smile Nice job with the cable routing! (I don't know why it took case vendors 30-years to invent cable grommets, etc.)

Good show!

Thanks man...appreciate the appreciation! Hey...and maybe it works too? LOL

I have to see what my temps are since I had a little episode with the CPU cooler (mentioned in my other "Into the Weeds" thread) I may have to read up on how to properly remove, clean the cpu and re-apply thermal paste) I think there's some tp remaining...it was evenly spread when I removed and remounted my cooler...but if that is a 100% no-no...well then...I may have to do something I would really really rather not do. It's going to be tough to remove the cooler now that the mb is mounted...since access is more difficult. For example...can't look from the side to see if screws are lining up with the mounting plate holes....or can't put arms at certain angles.

I do appreciate your help Rapajez! You and the other regulars here gave me the confidence I needed to even attempt the build.

Oh...and btw...not sure if the case mod made a big difference...but unless the fans speed up under load...all is pretty much silent with fans running. Unless this changes I won't know if the pc is running by any sound at all....super super quiet!
10-05-2014, 08:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-05-2014, 08:43 PM by Dan-H.)
I saw in another post you were busy, but how is the system treating you? the build looks really good.

Here's the progression. I could only post 10 images so I left out #172 as it was more or less a duplicate of 171.
To post the images in-line, after you upload the image somewhere, take the url and surround it with "image tags"
[Image: attachment.php?aid=164]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=167]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=168]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=169]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=170]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=171]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=172]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=174]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=175]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=176]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.7Ghz Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G HSF: Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Mem: 2 x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB + a few spinners
PSU: Seasonic SS-760XP Platinum Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Monitors: 2 x Dell 2007FP 1600x1200
10-05-2014, 09:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-05-2014, 09:38 PM by andiron.)
Great Dan!....that was exactly what I wanted from the very beginning! Doh! Isn't it amazing that my new build works given that I don't even understand image tags? Don't bother...I will get my wife to explain...she's had alot of software training.

So the new build is just sweet! The best part is that I press the button and it starts! Seriously, when I push that button and everything fires up....I keep wondering if it's gonna happen! I'm not sure I have it optimized in a way that someone with more experience would accomplish...but I think all is pretty much as good as it gets. I've been trying to slowly tweak things and am not sure there's much more I could do at this point.

I have been at work a lot lately (I'm there now)...but will have some time this week to perform a bios update. Gotta be super careful as most directions are not dumbed down enough for me! LOL

Oh....and I do have some stats I could post...some voltages and temperatures displayed by the Gigabyte software and may do so at some point to get feedback. I can say that at idle the CPU temp is 20-21C....which I think is good?

Ultimately, the system is built out in a way that appeals to me. I think it has a certain classiness with the case. (thanks to you guys here on HR telling me to keep the 650D)....and able to look at how everything came together and not feel like there's anything I would do differently. I'm extremely pleased to have made it this far and think I would be way more inclined to build again in the future! I would declare myself as finished...but don't want to jinx the upcoming attempt at a bios update! :-)

And again...thank you for setting up the photos....much nicer to view them all at once! :-)

PS. Just want to repeat what I said earlier...anyone viewing those photos should know that the Bitfenix Spectre Pro fan is installed backwards. After taking that photo, and just before completing the build, I realized my mistake and turned it around to work properly as a front intake. And one other thing....I ordered a custom filter for the top of the case. A magnetic filter that will just sit on top in the recessed area over the fan vents. I am not sure I have positive pressure....kind of thinking the two exhaust fans are exhausting more than the Bitfenix is bringing in....but even if this is not the case....the top vent seems vulnerable to dust when the pc is turned off. I used to keep my old pc running all the time but find this one so fast to start that I'm opting for turning it off overnight and when I leave for work.
10-06-2014, 09:57 AM,
(10-05-2014, 09:26 PM)andiron Wrote: Great Dan!....that was exactly what I wanted from the very beginning! Doh! Isn't it amazing that my new build works given that I don't even understand image tags? Don't bother...I will get my wife to explain...she's had alot of software training.

So the new build is just sweet! The best part is that I press the button and it starts! Seriously, when I push that button and everything fires up....I keep wondering if it's gonna happen! I'm not sure I have it optimized in a way that someone with more experience would accomplish...but I think all is pretty much as good as it gets. I've been trying to slowly tweak things and am not sure there's much more I could do at this point.

I have been at work a lot lately (I'm there now)...but will have some time this week to perform a bios update. Gotta be super careful as most directions are not dumbed down enough for me! LOL

Oh....and I do have some stats I could post...some voltages and temperatures displayed by the Gigabyte software and may do so at some point to get feedback. I can say that at idle the CPU temp is 20-21C....which I think is good?

Ultimately, the system is built out in a way that appeals to me. I think it has a certain classiness with the case. (thanks to you guys here on HR telling me to keep the 650D)....and able to look at how everything came together and not feel like there's anything I would do differently. I'm extremely pleased to have made it this far and think I would be way more inclined to build again in the future! I would declare myself as finished...but don't want to jinx the upcoming attempt at a bios update! :-)

And again...thank you for setting up the photos....much nicer to view them all at once! :-)

PS. Just want to repeat what I said earlier...anyone viewing those photos should know that the Bitfenix Spectre Pro fan is installed backwards. After taking that photo, and just before completing the build, I realized my mistake and turned it around to work properly as a front intake. And one other thing....I ordered a custom filter for the top of the case. A magnetic filter that will just sit on top in the recessed area over the fan vents. I am not sure I have positive pressure....kind of thinking the two exhaust fans are exhausting more than the Bitfenix is bringing in....but even if this is not the case....the top vent seems vulnerable to dust when the pc is turned off. I used to keep my old pc running all the time but find this one so fast to start that I'm opting for turning it off overnight and when I leave for work.

build looks great. one thing i will mention about the powering off. i would put the system in "sleep" mode instead of a complete power down when not in use. it doesnt use hardly any power in sleep mode, but it does keep voltage on the cpu and mb components.

the hardest thing on a computer is on startup from going from cold to hot. your system components will thank you for using "sleep" mode.
10-06-2014, 03:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-06-2014, 03:32 PM by Rapajez.)
Or just leave it on all the time, because it's also your home's media server, backup center, christmas-light controller, and shared storage.

Also, those temps sound fine for idle. I like how that cooler looks too.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
10-06-2014, 03:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-06-2014, 03:50 PM by andiron.)
(10-06-2014, 09:57 AM)PwnBroker Wrote:
(10-05-2014, 09:26 PM)andiron Wrote: Great Dan!....that was exactly what I wanted from the very beginning! Doh! Isn't it amazing that my new build works given that I don't even understand image tags? Don't bother...I will get my wife to explain...she's had alot of software training.

build looks great. one thing i will mention about the powering off. i would put the system in "sleep" mode instead of a complete power down when not in use. it doesnt use hardly any power in sleep mode, but it does keep voltage on the cpu and mb components.

the hardest thing on a computer is on startup from going from cold to hot. your system components will thank you for using "sleep" mode.

I will consider sleep mode...or leaving it on all the time. I think a bit of paranoia set in because I know who built this system and didn't want to leave it running unattended until I was sure it wouldn't self destruct! Tongue

(10-06-2014, 03:32 PM)Rapajez Wrote: Or just leave it on all the time, because it's also your home's media server, backup center, christmas-light controller, and shared storage.

Also, those temps sound fine for idle. I like how that cooler looks too.

Thanks...I thought the Cryorig cooler would look nice....and do believe it's doing a nice job. And as for temps...today...noticed my temps at idle are 18C to 20C...most of the time at 19C. So I think I may have gotten away with my rather clumsy cooler installation/thermal paste application after all. Big Grin
10-08-2014, 04:07 PM,
Temperatures of 18-20C? I'd question that, unless your room is below that. It's not possible to go below ambient temperature unless you use exotic cooling.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
10-08-2014, 04:49 PM,
(10-08-2014, 04:07 PM)MathieuB Wrote: Temperatures of 18-20C? I'd question that, unless your room is below that. It's not possible to go below ambient temperature unless you use exotic cooling.

yep sounds low unless he has got it next to an air conditioner vent and if he does it might cause some condensation problems.

then again it could be his monitoring software or he keeps his thermostat on 65F, lol.