You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Starts But Turns Off After 5 Seconds
08-30-2014, 02:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2014, 03:09 PM by Yosping.)
Computer Starts But Turns Off After 5 Seconds
Hello everyone, my computer has been working well for a long time, and I haven't needed to post in while. But I just moved, and my computer isn't working, so I'm hoping that you fine folks will have some good suggestions.

My systems specs should be in my signature below.

Here's the problem: the computer turns on, but turns itself off after 5 seconds. After a few seconds, it tries to turn itself on again. It remains in this loop for as long as I have cared to let it run. When it is running, lights come on on the motherboard and on the front panel. The cooler and system fans spin.

Because I just moved, my guess is that something came loose. I have reseated the RAM, and tried running it without the video and sound cards, and also tried running it with the video and sound cards reseated. It's still not working. I haven't tried reseating the cpu and cpu cooler, because that seems like a hassle. Should I try this next? What else might be wrong? I look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks!

- Y -

Let me add that, when the computer powers up, for the five seconds that it's on, all four of the cpu indicator lights on the motherboard light up. The motherboard manual tells me that means that the cpu is in four phase power mode. I have very little understanding of what that means... Does that mean that the cpu IS getting power? So would that mean that I shouldn't bother trying to reseat the cpu?
Mainstream(ish) Gaming PC: CPU: Intel i5-2500k, overclocked to 4.4 GHz, Corsair CAFA70 keeping me below 42C at all times Motherboard: MSI P67A-C43 RAM: GSkill 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz Video Card: PowerColor Radeon 6850 Storage: Samsung F3 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM690 II PSU: Antec TP650 Bronze Audio: ASUS Xonar DG Upgrades I'm Considering: SSD when I can get 200GB for ~ $200 (looks like it's finally time for this upgrade! Now who wants to give me 200$??)

Messages In This Thread
Computer Starts But Turns Off After 5 Seconds - by Yosping - 08-30-2014, 02:51 PM