You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Starts But Turns Off After 5 Seconds
08-30-2014, 02:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2014, 03:09 PM by Yosping.)
Hello everyone, my computer has been working well for a long time, and I haven't needed to post in while. But I just moved, and my computer isn't working, so I'm hoping that you fine folks will have some good suggestions.

My systems specs should be in my signature below.

Here's the problem: the computer turns on, but turns itself off after 5 seconds. After a few seconds, it tries to turn itself on again. It remains in this loop for as long as I have cared to let it run. When it is running, lights come on on the motherboard and on the front panel. The cooler and system fans spin.

Because I just moved, my guess is that something came loose. I have reseated the RAM, and tried running it without the video and sound cards, and also tried running it with the video and sound cards reseated. It's still not working. I haven't tried reseating the cpu and cpu cooler, because that seems like a hassle. Should I try this next? What else might be wrong? I look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks!

- Y -

Let me add that, when the computer powers up, for the five seconds that it's on, all four of the cpu indicator lights on the motherboard light up. The motherboard manual tells me that means that the cpu is in four phase power mode. I have very little understanding of what that means... Does that mean that the cpu IS getting power? So would that mean that I shouldn't bother trying to reseat the cpu?
Mainstream(ish) Gaming PC: CPU: Intel i5-2500k, overclocked to 4.4 GHz, Corsair CAFA70 keeping me below 42C at all times Motherboard: MSI P67A-C43 RAM: GSkill 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz Video Card: PowerColor Radeon 6850 Storage: Samsung F3 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM690 II PSU: Antec TP650 Bronze Audio: ASUS Xonar DG Upgrades I'm Considering: SSD when I can get 200GB for ~ $200 (looks like it's finally time for this upgrade! Now who wants to give me 200$??)
09-02-2014, 08:50 AM,
Mine did that and it was the power supply. Replaced it and have had no problems since. Could also be short somewhere like a loose screw getting under the motherboard.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 GPU: EVGA GTX 650 2GB SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB HDDs: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB and Western Digital VelociRaptor 500 GB Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro RAM: 8x8GB (64GB) G. Skill Ripjaws Z 1600MHz Optical Drives: two Asus DRWB1ST PSU: Seasonic X650 80+ Gold Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional S Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Tablet: Logitech T650 Monitors: NEC P241W and NEC PA241W Speakers: Bose Companion 3 Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
09-02-2014, 10:26 AM,
RE: Computer Starts But Turns Off After 5 Seconds
im kinda with mwhals, it could very well be a psu problem. id reseat all power cables and go from there. the 4 phase power led's you are talking about means that the cpu is getting the correct power.(your board looks to be a 4+1 phase vrm which would be correct. another note is those type of boards are not well suited for overclocking and do not have vrm heatsinks. if i remember correctly MSI had some problems with those boards and overclocking.)
09-02-2014, 12:22 PM,
Along those lines, if the above doesn't work, and you can remember you're BIOS settings, you can try resetting the BIOS.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
09-02-2014, 03:07 PM,
Awesome ideas, thank you all. I will try reseating all of the power cables. If that doesn't work... time for a brand new build, methinks! (Kinda hoping that reseating cables won't fix it, at this point...) I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Mainstream(ish) Gaming PC: CPU: Intel i5-2500k, overclocked to 4.4 GHz, Corsair CAFA70 keeping me below 42C at all times Motherboard: MSI P67A-C43 RAM: GSkill 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz Video Card: PowerColor Radeon 6850 Storage: Samsung F3 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM690 II PSU: Antec TP650 Bronze Audio: ASUS Xonar DG Upgrades I'm Considering: SSD when I can get 200GB for ~ $200 (looks like it's finally time for this upgrade! Now who wants to give me 200$??)
09-03-2014, 10:45 PM,
Personally, I would carefully check the CPU heatsink from the backside to make sure a pin did not pop up, assuming it is intel. If ok...

I would diconnect all the drives, all but one stick of ram and power on, it should go into bios. If it does, connect one drive at a time, power on, cd drives will still boot into bios. If it fails at any point of connecting drives then we need to discuss that. If it does not fail, pull the one stick of ram and put the other in to isolate a bad stick of ram. If it fails with all drives disconnected and one stick of ram, try the other ram stick to be sure or another known working stick. It then is bioled down to a bad psu or motherboard. You can check the psu voltages with a multi meter. Here is the link step by step on that. http://www.techrepublic.com/article/powe...ultimeter/
09-04-2014, 02:34 PM,
None of the pins for the heatsink looked to be out of place. I checked every connection from the PSU. All seemed solid, but I reseated them, and powered up, and it had the same problem. I then tried what you suggested. I disconnected every device, pulled all the RAM except for one stick, and it did the same thing. It had the same problem with a different RAM stick, too, so I don't think the RAM is the problem. I think I have either a bad PSU, or a bad motherboard (ugh). I don't have a multimeter in the house. Is it worth getting one, or should I just get a new PSU, plug it in, and see if that works?

(09-03-2014, 10:45 PM)theBeav Wrote: Personally, I would carefully check the CPU heatsink from the backside to make sure a pin did not pop up, assuming it is intel. If ok...

I would diconnect all the drives, all but one stick of ram and power on, it should go into bios. If it does, connect one drive at a time, power on, cd drives will still boot into bios. If it fails at any point of connecting drives then we need to discuss that. If it does not fail, pull the one stick of ram and put the other in to isolate a bad stick of ram. If it fails with all drives disconnected and one stick of ram, try the other ram stick to be sure or another known working stick. It then is bioled down to a bad psu or motherboard. You can check the psu voltages with a multi meter. Here is the link step by step on that. http://www.techrepublic.com/article/powe...ultimeter/
09-04-2014, 03:02 PM,
Never hurts to have a spare. The Rosewill "Capstone" series are a great value. They are high quality and made by Super Flower. Seasonic are excellent as well.
09-05-2014, 02:10 PM,
did you get a resolution to your problem?
09-05-2014, 02:28 PM,
PSU is in the mail. I'll install it tomorrow and let you know how it turns out.