You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parts list - opinions wanted
08-25-2014, 12:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2014, 12:22 PM by andiron.)
Parts list - opinions wanted
Hoping someone will catch me before I forget something. Perhaps I need an extra cable...or missed something else? Perhaps I could illuminate the inside of my case?

This will be my first build and I've gone way bigger than first anticipated.

Here goes...

1. Corsair 650D case (with window) - already own this item.

2. Seasonic 80+ Gold (SS-750KM) - already own this item.

3. Intel Core i7-4790K - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...938566&SID=

4. CRYORIG R1 Universal CPU Cooler (CR-R1B) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...938566&SID=

5. Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme (thermal paste) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...938566&SID=

6. Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...938566&SID=

7. Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A2133C10) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...938566&SID=

8. Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Z-7KE256BW) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...938566&SID=

9. Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (ST2000DM001) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...938566&SID= I must say...as I copied this link I read reviews on Newegg and see a lot of mentions of failure...not sure I want to keep this on my list?

10. EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (03G-P4-2784-KR) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...938566&SID= I realize this is not necessarily the best value...but I like the stellar reviews and that it runs cooler than some of the AMD cards.

11. Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (BDR-209DBK) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...938566&SID=

12. Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (GFC-02050) - http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaffili...omoid=1046

So there you have it. I come away from this post concerned about the Seagate HD. Perhaps I should reduce to a 1TB drive that is more reliable and still cost effective?

I appreciate any and all advice....thank you!
08-25-2014, 12:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2014, 12:54 PM by Rapajez.)
RE: Parts list - opinions wanted
WD Blue or Black may be a good alternative for the HDD, but basically any hard drive from even the best company has a risk of failure. That's why you want to keep backups.

If you're just buying that CPU cooler for the RAM clearance, I'd recommend saving some money and going with low profile RAM like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product . Then you can keep your existing CPU cooler. I wouldn't pay money for additional thermal paste, as whatever comes with the cooler will work fine.

Shouldn't be a need to illuminate the interior. That's up to personal preference. Personally, I never liked the extra cabling in the way.

Only cables you may need is a SATA cable, depending on how many the mobo comes with (you need 3 total: SSD, HDD, and DVD).

Otherwise, looks good to me!
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
08-25-2014, 04:07 PM,
(08-25-2014, 12:53 PM)Rapajez Wrote: WD Blue or Black may be a good alternative for the HDD, but basically any hard drive from even the best company has a risk of failure. That's why you want to keep backups.

If you're just buying that CPU cooler for the RAM clearance, I'd recommend saving some money and going with low profile RAM like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product . Then you can keep your existing CPU cooler. I wouldn't pay money for additional thermal paste, as whatever comes with the cooler will work fine.

Shouldn't be a need to illuminate the interior. That's up to personal preference. Personally, I never liked the extra cabling in the way.

Only cables you may need is a SATA cable, depending on how many the mobo comes with (you need 3 total: SSD, HDD, and DVD).

Otherwise, looks good to me!

Eggcellent!

As for the cpu cooler....I researched until I was blue in the face....and decided that I really wanted to go hardcore on the cooling...short of going with a liquid set up. My motivation for the cooler change is primarily better cooling with the lack of RAM interference being a bonus.

After spending the entire day reading...it appears that the Noctua NH-D15 is the defacto choice (if you want to push air cooling to the limits). But during my reading I also found out about Cryorig....a relatively young company that is comprised of people that worked for other well known companies, like Noctua. They set out to make the R1 Ultimate and R1 Universal to be very competitive and the result is that the Noctua barely eaks them out in cooling...only by a degree or two and is very close to the results you get with a liquid set up. The Cryorig1 is a bit more expensive than the usual bang for the buck choices....but a nice bonus is that the Universal version is offset, due to the shape of it's heat pipes, to avoid conflict with the memory slots. If RAM clearance wasn't an issue at all I would probably go with the Noctua or the Cryorig R1 Ultimate. But, for about 1 degree celsius less cooling I can go with the Universal version and not have to change my choice of RAM. And I personally think the Cryorig set up is a bit more pleasing to the eye. Hey...I have a case with a window and this is my first build so looks matter a little bit! Big Grin

Ultimately, I decided that I want to put a lot more emphasis on cooling...especially after read about cooling issues associated with Haswell architecture. That combined with reading on Ananatech that my case is not the best for cooling was all I need to spend a little extra.

I will be sure take a look at the WD Blue and Black HDDs...appreciate the recommendations! Also curious what you might think of the Samsung Spinpoint F4.....I believe that's the model? I think it used to be recommended in the builds here on HR? I think they were supposed to be praised for reliability? Oh...and I will be sure to check the Gigabyte MB to see if it comes with enough SATA cables.

Looks like I'm close...just a bit more research and with any luck Labor Day will cut some cost from this build.

Thanks!
08-26-2014, 12:44 AM,
A quick add on question before bed....

I'm looking at HDDs...and see some are Sata 3 and some are Sata 6. Will I see any benefit from going with one type versus the other with the Gigabyte GA Z97X UD5H BK motherboard? (I ask because it says Sata 6 but some of the more recent HDDs recommended here on HR are Sata 3)

The Caviar Black Sata 3 is one example of a recommended drive...although it does come in a Sata 6 version as well. I wouldn't know which one is the best value and if they differ noticeably in performance. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
08-26-2014, 09:47 AM,
the SATA III 6 GBS will be faster. the actual drive may not matter as much since your OS, and most of your read/write activity should be on the SSD.

As far as the labor day sales, are you signed up for the email sale lists on all the websites? they often release a handful of items early or with an extra discount via "email only"...
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.7Ghz Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G HSF: Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Mem: 2 x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB + a few spinners
PSU: Seasonic SS-760XP Platinum Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Monitors: 2 x Dell 2007FP 1600x1200
08-26-2014, 12:27 PM,
(08-26-2014, 09:47 AM)Dan-H Wrote: the SATA III 6 GBS will be faster. the actual drive may not matter as much since your OS, and most of your read/write activity should be on the SSD.

As far as the labor day sales, are you signed up for the email sale lists on all the websites? they often release a handful of items early or with an extra discount via "email only"...

Thanks Dan....I will be sure to start signing up. I already signed up on Newegg but haven't received anything pertinent yet. Btw...as for the hdd...I think I was getting confused thinking there is an actual Sata 6. I now realize that I should be looking for a fast 6 gb/s Sata 3 drive. Yep...feeling mighty sharp. Blush

I am leaning towards the 2TB drive Mathieu recommends in his latest HDD article. That said, I did find one other interesting drive...a Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000. See here ---> http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-HUA723020A...B00HRLI2FU... It's an "enterprise" hard drive and only comes with a one year warranty from the seller...but the reviews are good and I found a site that suggested Hitachi and WD drives were among the more reliable. But, I also read that past reliability is not necessarily guaranteed since Hitachi has been bought by Western Digital and a portion of the company was sold off to Toshiba. Interestingly, I also found this same Hitachi drive for almost twice as much on Amazon with a 5 yr manufacturer warranty... pretty much the same cost at the WD Black with the same length of warranty. Aside from price my hesitation is that I don't completely understand "enterprise"...although it sounds like it's a big plus...better build, etc etc. And...I'm not sure if I should take a chance on a lack of manufacturer warranty or go with the higher priced options. Seems the choice is never simple.
08-26-2014, 01:37 PM,
with a mechanical hard drive it doesnt matter if it is sata2 or sata3 because it doesnt have the throughput to saturate either. with ssd's it will be faster on a sata3 because they can saturate a sata 2 connection.

every thing looks good to me, post a pic when you get it finished so i can see how well that cooler fits.(ive never used that brand)

good luck
08-26-2014, 04:24 PM,
HDD: Just stick with your original drive or grab the WD Blue/Black. The Samsung SpinPoint F4's are outdated and were removed when the quality control took a recent dive. Enterprise is overkill, IMHO. As stated, SATA2 is fine, because the HDD itself is the bottleneck, and won't fully use the SATA2 speed. On that note, if your motherboard has SATA2 and SATA3 ports, be sure the SSD goes in the SATA3 Port. The SSD WILL benefit from the speed of SATA3 (they'll be labeled on the board or in the manual).

Cooler: Be sure it will fit in the 650 case. I'm assuming that clearance comes at a cost of more height? If it won't fit, stick with a smaller cooler and lower profile RAM. That RAM coolers don't buy you anything these days anyway.

Case: Assuming it fits the cooler, I still wouldn't worry about the cooling performance you mentioned. With your Cooler and GPU, you don't seem like you'd run into problems. Just keep an eye on temps when you start to Overclock.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
08-27-2014, 01:39 AM,
I appreciate all the comments! I will definitely have to see what I can do to make sure that cooler will work with the 650D. Interesting about enterprise being overkill. I have been more and more impressed by the reviews and have found a few options to get the Hitachi for significantly less...and with a 5 year warranty. Pretty tempting!

I think I am about to take the plunge and work towards making this happen. I'm a bit nervous...pretty much planning on having trouble along the way. Hey....just being a realist...there's no way this build goes off without a hitch! I will say...whatever happens...I will take pics. Any success I have will be in no small part due to the help I have received here. Thanks guys!
08-27-2014, 01:36 PM,
No worries!

Honestly, building PCs these days is about as hard as a 30-piece Lego kit. Everything is color coded and only fits into one slot. The assembly should take half an afternoon and a little effort. Optimizing the OS and OC'ing may take longer (about as long as you feel like working at it), but you'll have a functioning PC in the meantime.

I believe Mathieu has links to some good video guides in his build articles. Watching them should show you how easy it is. They probably cover this tip, but I recommend you install the CPU and the cooler onto the motherboard outside of the case, and then drop everything in together. It's easier to get at all the tiny screws and fan connectors. (The cooler is probably the only part that takes a little effort; although, the Noctua was just 3 screws and a back plate)