You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Display driver stopped - Screen turn black and shuttle every few second
08-11-2014, 04:47 AM,
Display driver stopped - Screen turn black and shuttle every few second
Hi all,

My spec :
Asus Maximus HERO VII
I7 4770K
Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz
Corsair H100i cpu cooler
Samsung Evo 250gb solid state drive
Sapphire R9 280x Tri-x
Corsair CX750M psu
Windows 7 home premium

I faced these problem on my newly build pc.
When start up everything runs normally until desktop everything still seem normal until i play a game from steam(CS:GO) when in game my screen shuttled turn black and back to normal every few mins sometime every few seconds, not only in game but sometimes when i am youtube video in google chrome my display driver stopped responding too. I have done lots of troubleshooting as well.

-Removed all cables and plug them back again
-Removed my graphic card and plug them back again
-Remove my Ram and plug them back again, even tested different Ram sticks
-Downloaded the latest driver for my Graphics card and downgrading to previous version that people said it should work.
-Brought both Graphics card and Ram to a friend use which run the same system as me, everything runs well after 2-3 hours of gaming and testing.
-Swap Graphics card with my friend (R9 280x same card as mind)
-Changed to a different monitor
-Re-installed OS and drivers

After doing almost everything i could and the result are the same. So i when back to the shop and asked them why is this happening, they told to try changing a power source like from my room to the living room and do not connect to extension meaning plug my PSU straight to the wall plug alone. So, i tried and yes it started working and i can play CS:GO for a few hours without Driver stopping. So i thought it was the power in my room that cant supply the need of my 750w psu. But everything comes to an end at night i started having black screen and freezing every few mins. I am think could it be because of my family using air con at the night drawing too much power so it started having problem again. Now the next day in the noon i try to start up my comp and play my game again and yes it started working without any display driver stopped responding.

How can I solved this power issue? will getting a UPS work for me? or any other solutions? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced
08-11-2014, 09:08 AM,
RE: Display driver stopped - Screen turn black and shuttle every few second
it may not be something you can fix, as it may be in the power company's lines. when you plug in a long extension cord it is possible to below 110v ac depending on the guage of the conductor and length of the cord.

as for shutting down in the evening, may be because everyone connecting to your power lines is probably causing enough of a voltage drop to the psu because everyone is home running the air cond.

that would be a power company problem and you might call them to see if there is anything they can do. you can take a VOM and check the voltage at the outlet to see how much it is dropping.

one thing i will suggest, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SURGE protector between the wall and the psu. those types of spikes and surges will burn a pc up in a minute.

good luck.
08-11-2014, 02:33 PM,
Thanks for the reply, i will ask the power company to give it a check tomorrow to make sure the voltage are normal. As for the surge protector what kind should i get for my pc? i will probable shut down my comp until i get a surge protector or get them check the power before i on my comp again. Thanks for the advice.
08-11-2014, 03:17 PM,
for what you described, one that is rated at 600j or higher(id probably go as high as 1k joules if i could afford it), make sure the clamping voltage is rated at 330v or if you cant find one at that rating no higher than 400v, and the response time is less that 1 ns.

good luck
08-14-2014, 03:17 PM,
power is check and no issue at all. Now i replace my psu to a 650w and test again but it's the same problem. Sometimes when watching youtube vids it will freeze and turn black screen and return to normal again and in game it's freezing and black screen every few mins sometimes less den a min. I do have a BSOD after freezing for too long and the screen won't return to normal. could it be my graphic card issue? i have no idea i have tested the graphic card on my friend system which run almost the same spec as me for 1.5 hours without problem. i really have no clue now.
08-15-2014, 09:06 AM,
looking at everything you ruled out, it could be a driver or motherboard issue.

make sure you are plugged into the gpu video out, not the motherboard video out.
make sure the gpu is slotted in the pcie slot next to the cpu slot.
make sure you have the power cables seated correctly into the gpu.

then go into bios and see what bios build you have: the lastest is 1104 which includes fixes for stability and PCIE device compatibility. also look at the comments where the audio driver needs updating. here is the link:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS..._Download/

after that is done run a test by playing a game. if it BSOD'S try to get the code and post back.

to rule out a driver issue boot up in safe mode and see if there is any change and post back.

good luck
08-16-2014, 06:21 PM,
Anyway could it be a RAM compatibility issue? i changed the PSU and and rma my graphic card still the problem is still there.. the only thing is the ram i could think of. My friend is using the Corsair vengeance pro series 2133mhz and I am using 2400mhz. he's using same board and same graphic card with no problem too, doesn't have to update anything for it to work. i just don't understand why i had so much problems. I had Rma the motherboard because after setup it can't boot up so now my Motherboard is new out of box. Rma my psu and graphic card as well. So, i guess the only possibility now is the Ram or the motherboard are causing the problems.
08-16-2014, 10:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2014, 11:14 PM by PwnBroker.)
it should be ok unless its a bad kit.(anandtech did a review on it with the i7-4770k) have you run memtest to see if it fails?

id also setup a crash dump file or use perfmon to at least have some data to analyze the crashes. you gotta do some diag or else your just changing parts and hoping for the best. these things happen.
08-18-2014, 03:28 AM,
Hi, i had test with another ram stick and it came out with the same problem.

here is what happened in game and sometimes watch vid on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ_B9rLKWec

I have no clue now =( this is my new setup and these things is making me crazy.
08-18-2014, 09:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2014, 09:04 AM by PwnBroker.)
one thing that i failed to mention that will cause that exact problem is the BIOS switch on the gpu. you have 2 options on most of these new gpu's, conventional and UEFI(a feature for windows 8 and secure boot). check the gpu and see which way it is set(default is conventional but who knows someone may have set it otherwise). for your system it should be set to conventional.