You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Configuration advice
07-28-2014, 09:04 PM,
RE: Configuration advice
Link to that site has been removed. Please do not link to affiliate websites. Feel free to list the direct link to the parts individually.
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question
07-29-2014, 09:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2014, 09:29 AM by Rapajez.)
1. With all your other parts being OC ready, might as well grab the unlocked part. In case you change your mind later. Oh, it is 400MHz faster didn't even realize.

2. The ASUS Z97 Pro is pretty popular. I've read mixed user reviews, some DOA boards, but that can happen to any model. If you don't need the wireless, the Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H was reviewed really well in most "Z97 roundups" I read. http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GA-Z97X-U...B00JKCHDKY

3. If you're going to plug the PC into high-end sound equipment (whether speakers or headphones), then by all means, get a sound card. Otherwise, the on-board is probably good enough.

4. I don't think you save much from shaving 1TB off the drive, but it's your budget. If you want to shave anything, get a cheaper video card. Maybe grab a GTX 750 or older 650? As stated, you don't need much for what you're doing, unless you want to game. Then by all means, grab the 760.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
07-29-2014, 10:00 AM,
One option is to not add the sound card now and see how good the onboard audio is. It could be added later easily.

Do you have an external home-audio receiver, does it had TOSLINK S/PDIF inputs?

The Mobo has an optical S/PDIF output.

Connecting the computer to the receiver digitally will be the best sound, and this only needs a toslink optical cable. Monoprice has these in lots of different lengths up to 50 foot for less than $10 USD.

http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?ke...FkHx3Dcg.0

good luck and post pics!
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.7Ghz Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G HSF: Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Mem: 2 x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB + a few spinners
PSU: Seasonic SS-760XP Platinum Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Monitors: 2 x Dell 2007FP 1600x1200
07-30-2014, 08:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2014, 08:44 PM by andiron.)
(07-29-2014, 09:23 AM)Rapajez Wrote: 1. With all your other parts being OC ready, might as well grab the unlocked part. In case you change your mind later. Oh, it is 400MHz faster didn't even realize.

2. The ASUS Z97 Pro is pretty popular. I've read mixed user reviews, some DOA boards, but that can happen to any model. If you don't need the wireless, the Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H was reviewed really well in most "Z97 roundups" I read. http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GA-Z97X-U...B00JKCHDKY

3. If you're going to plug the PC into high-end sound equipment (whether speakers or headphones), then by all means, get a sound card. Otherwise, the on-board is probably good enough.

4. I don't think you save much from shaving 1TB off the drive, but it's your budget. If you want to shave anything, get a cheaper video card. Maybe grab a GTX 750 or older 650? As stated, you don't need much for what you're doing, unless you want to game. Then by all means, grab the 760.

Thank you for the advice! I will probably go ahead with the unlocked version. As for the motherboard...I'm kind of a clueless lemming. I took a look at the Z97X-UD5H and it looks on par with the Asus card. What gets confusing is when I see cards from the same manufacturers...like the Asus ....hmm....forgetting the name but think it's a Mark VII? What I think will be most important to me, apart from all the normal stuff...is ease of use...the bios software, making connections....etc. It's probably a toss up...although I think one site makes the Gigabite card their editors choice. I think part of that was price. The Asus Pro wasn't directly compared....and so I don't know how much I can tell on my own. I think the price for each is very close. Perhaps I should be looking at the quality of onboard sound? Oh....and I hear ya when it comes to the gpu. Ironically, I was starting to think about the EVGA Superclocked GTX770...going for a pricier option....as it sounds like a big step up from the 760. And, prices are starting to drop a bit. But maybe I'm off my rocker....and should be spending less. I may wait on the sound card...will have to do more research to see if it's worth the price. Anyway, it's all looking like the items I've mentioned will be in the final build. Thank you very much taking the time to help. I think I have a tall mountain to climb...but getting close!

Thanks Dan....still deciding if the sound card I chose is worth the expense...and need to make sure it will work with whatever motherboard I choose. I would run to my stereo...but it's in another room. My wife bought me a nice speaker set with subwoofer, a center and 4 side speakers several years back. Don't use them often...but they probably warrant nicer sound. Oh...and I'm not at the build yet...going to have to do a bit more research and have to watch a lot of videos before I will have the courage. BUT...I will definitely post pics when finished. Before that time I have a feeling you're going to see more of me here....asking questions. Thanks!

(07-29-2014, 10:00 AM)Dan-H Wrote: One option is to not add the sound card now and see how good the onboard audio is. It could be added later easily.

Do you have an external home-audio receiver, does it had TOSLINK S/PDIF inputs?

The Mobo has an optical S/PDIF output.

Connecting the computer to the receiver digitally will be the best sound, and this only needs a toslink optical cable. Monoprice has these in lots of different lengths up to 50 foot for less than $10 USD.

http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?ke...FkHx3Dcg.0

good luck and post pics!
07-31-2014, 07:24 PM,
If you're gaming, the 770 should keep you future-proof at 1080p for a few years. If you're not gaming, there's no point in a fancy video card (...with some other exceptions).
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
07-31-2014, 09:09 PM,
Rapajez...can't remember exactly where I read it...probably from earlier in this thread (via links) where I read about the unlocking of Nvidia cards to help them perform better and more like Quadro cards when rendering in Photoshop. This referred to the "gaming" cards from Nvidia. That's what put me onto the idea of upgrading to the GTX770. As I said in the very beginning....for me to build this system, with or without this card, is probably overkill. It's more likely just from my compulsion to push things a bit.

As for the 770, specifically, vs other cards....one thing I remember seeing is how much more capable the 770 was over the other cards. It seemed a bigger bump up from the 760... than from the 750 to the 760. It was fairly convincing information and yet I'm not sure of myself with regard to this choice. That information gets off into the weeds a bit and is more on the technical side....dealing not with just CUDA cores but also speed and bandwith etc.

Probably the best question to ask might be how much a better gpu might future proof with regard to rendering in future editions of photoshop? Or maybe I'm chasing shadows and need to back off?

Life is hectic, wife having surgery etc....so I think it will be a week or two before I order parts. In that time I need to pick the motherboard, gpu and decide on whether to use a dedicated sound card. And I need to figure out all the parts and tools that I need to be successful. I'm really as newbie as one can be...and suspect people could look at me and think "a little bit of information is a dangerous thing!" Blush

The wheels are turning...slowly. But, with the help I have received here, I'm making progress! Thanks! Smile
07-31-2014, 11:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-31-2014, 11:18 PM by andiron.)
(07-29-2014, 09:23 AM)Rapajez Wrote: 2. The ASUS Z97 Pro is pretty popular. I've read mixed user reviews, some DOA boards, but that can happen to any model. If you don't need the wireless, the Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H was reviewed really well in most "Z97 roundups" I read. http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GA-Z97X-U...B00JKCHDKY

Rapajez, I looked at a bunch of reviews of the two boards under consideration. I must say that I was very positive that I would want an Asus card. This probably is left over from a Sabertooth card recommended here on HR that was in one of the builds a few years back. Kind of latched onto their reputation and I like the new look of gold & black. I also like the reputation they have with regard to software and bios. I really would have bet my purchase would have been with them. But my attitude is different now. On paper the Asus Z97 Pro looks like it would be a great choice. BUT...when you look at the reviews....the amount of people having problems, boards DOA, loyal Asus fans taking exception... and notice the resulting 4 star rating on both Amazon and Newegg....this choice is not so easy. By contrast, the Gigabyte card get's 5 stars, few complaints and no reports of DOA. I'm not sure the Gigabyte bios/software would be as friendly to me as a newbie...but I value reliability and don't want to deal with some of the problems I've seen described in the Asus reviews. It would be a nightmare for my first build....so I want to reduce the chance. The wifi option was also sounding more and more interesting ...but again...not worth it if I'm likely to have issues.

During my reading I found the "black" version of the Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H ....the Z97X-UD5H-BK. See here:

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Black-Edi...B00KYCSCVS

It looks cool and markets on the basis of increased durability. Would be my likely choice as of this moment. Anyway, I just wanted to update after doing some reading. I appreciate the help.
08-01-2014, 01:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014, 01:57 PM by Rapajez.)
Yeah, Black Editions looks legit, from techreport.com: "Apart from the tinting, this Black Edition variant is physically identical to the standard UD5H. However, it undergoes a week-long stress test before leaving the factory, and it's covered by a five-year warranty instead of the usual three-year deal." Apparently it used to cost more, but it looks like they're the same price on Amazon...

The BIOS (or UEFI as it's called now) looks pretty newbie friendly. From the same review: http://techreport.com/review/26450/gigab...reviewed/2

I say go for it.

As for the NVIDIA card, again, this is out of my wheelhouse, hopefully one of the others will chime in. Throwing on a GTX 770 will make this a 1080p gaming beast, if you ever decide you want to.

From a strictly Photoshop/CS6 perspective, it seems like going from a card that you'll use 5% of, to a card you'll use 3% of.
08-06-2014, 02:08 PM,
Yup, I'd go with the Gigabyte Black, Gigabyte reliability for motherboards in unmatched right now and the Black, with its additional testing and great customer reviews is the way to go. It's what I recommended to a customer for a Workstation featuring a Core i7-4790K.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
08-13-2014, 06:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-13-2014, 06:55 PM by andiron.)
(08-06-2014, 02:08 PM)MathieuB Wrote: Yup, I'd go with the Gigabyte Black, Gigabyte reliability for motherboards in unmatched right now and the Black, with its additional testing and great customer reviews is the way to go. It's what I recommended to a customer for a Workstation featuring a Core i7-4790K.

Hi Mathieu,

Dang it! I was trying to figure out how to come back and say that I am actually leaning back towards the Asus Z97 Pro and saw your post with another vote for the Gigabyte card. Rolleyes

Ironically, one of the last links Rapajez gave me actually contained some information that said pretty much that the Gigabyte card is not a good fit for newbies. I read the reviews on various sites and decided I could probably roll the dice...and maybe get an Asus that doesn't require an RMA. I say this for a few reasons. It doesn't hurt that I actually think the Asus card is aesthetically pleasing.... really dig the gold on black....and I read where it's software is more user friendly when making adjustment to fan speeds and with regard to OC'ing.

On the other hand it looks as though the Gigabyte card is physically more reliable. I trust you guys....so I'm once again torn...and have to take another serious look at the recommended card. I hate muddy water....and will often be willing to pay more to buy my way out of any indecision. For example, I have been thinking of going way overboard on the gpu...just to avoid future regret. If there were a clear winner on the motherboard front I would do the same. These boards are priced similarly but have different strengths. Am I making too much out of the software...adjustments and oc'ing?

I'm taking on a first time build... and questioning my own sanity in the process. I definitely need to do a lot more research before starting! With this in mind I'm trying to be patient....learn....watch prices....and be ready to go when the time comes to act. So....

I wish I could combine the two cards...the software, and looks, of the Asus with the reliability and build of the Gigabyte...and may now need time to mourn yet another switch in decision! Blush

Thanks for the advice....I think! LOL