You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wireless for pc
07-15-2014, 08:29 AM,
wireless for pc
So after moving into a new house i have discovered the only phone jack that does not work is the one in the room with the computer. Rather rather than pay $120/hour to run a phone jack, I am considering going the PCI wireless adapter route? Any thoughts about this and any recommendations ?
07-15-2014, 03:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-15-2014, 03:39 PM by Rapajez.)
RE: wireless for pc
Depending on your router/WiFi situation, it may be a lot slower, or have a higher ping, than a wired connection. That may not matter if you don't do a lot of online gaming, download massive files, or if you're already limited by your ISP anyway.

If you go with an adapter, you can choose between PCI cards, or USB-based ones. Not sure of the prices right now, but you may want to ensure it's "a/c ready", as that's the latest WiFi standard. Most new routers support it.

Another option is an Ethernet over Power adapter. It lets you run a connection over the power lines, by plugging an adapter into any electrical socket. One by the router, and one by the PC. I've had mixed results with these things. Check out user reviews before pulling the trigger.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround